Reformed Confessions 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

R. Scott Clark

Puritan Board Senior
Are there any updates to this program? It looks as if nothing's been done to it since 2000.

Does anyone know how to search for exact strings or word orders? That option is "greyed out" and I don't know how to activate it.

Thanks,

rsc

Scott,
I'm not aware any more work has been done on this by the creator. I have it up and running; not sure I see what you are seeing. When I click on search it brings up a tabbed box; with two tabs, Index and Find. Both seem functional. Under find, the first box allows for typing anything you want, the 2nd select a precompiled list of words, the 3rd some precompiled topics. Is the problem in that tab?

Hi Chris,

Thanks!

Yes, I go to "search" -> "find" and under "find" -> "options" and under the "find options" sub-menu there are three choices:

All the words you typed...
At least one...
The words you typed in exact order
Display matching phrases

It is the last option that I cannot use as it is greyed out. It would be great to be able to search all the documents for the exact same phrase.

rsc

Originally posted by NaphtaliPress
Scott,
I'm not aware any more work has been done on this by the creator. I have it up and running; not sure I see what you are seeing. When I click on search it brings up a tabbed box; with two tabs, Index and Find. Both seem functional. Under find, the first box allows for typing anything you want, the 2nd select a precompiled list of words, the 3rd some precompiled topics. Is the problem in that tab?

Scott,
Ok. I see that now. I guess Mr. Bossman did not set that to "on" in his compile. I do not think it is something you can turn on from your end. Anyone else have a suggestion?

I tried to send email to him at two addressed but both bounced.

Does anyone have access to the code so that option can be activated?

rsc

Scott,
Did you try [email protected]? There is also a phone and also a church you could contact that is associated with the site.
Covenant Reformed Fellowship
Box 551 "“ Ashland, Ohio 44805 419-289-2552

Chris,

Thanks!

I'll try this email right away.

rsc

Originally posted by NaphtaliPress
Scott,
Did you try [email protected]? There is also a phone and also a church you could contact that is associated with the site.
Covenant Reformed Fellowship
Box 551 "“ Ashland, Ohio 44805 419-289-2552

Mr. Clark,

You should be able to search for exact phrases in all of the confessions. When "The words you typed in exact order" is checked, then the "Display matching phrases" box should be available as an option. Then, when you search for a phrase, such as "saving faith", all of the search results appear under box 3 entitiled "Click a topic, then click display". All of those results should display the section of that particular confession, with the phrase "saving faith" highlighted. Please see a screenshot of my program for an example.

I hope this helps,

Jeff

Jeff,
Not sure with Scott, but that option is greyed out whatever I do; it cannot be checked. Also, in my version I'm not given check boxes next to each "hit" as in your screen shot. I am using the current build just downloaded from the website.

Ok. Here's what Scott (Dr. Clark) needs to do. Rebuild your index. Choose the customize option, and choose to include all the options in each screen after that. It should then work as described by Jeff and Scott B.

Chris, my version reads the same as yours.

Have you guys hit the "Rebuild button" and then "Maximize search capabilities"? That may be the problem. I think I did that a long time ago, and you should only have to do it once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back