Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Fentiman

Puritan Board Sophomore
Historical theology is seeing and analyzing the recognition and development of the doctrines of God's Word through the development of the history of the Church.

Historical theology is of the utmost value as most teachings of God's Word have already been hammered out in greater earnestness and depth by godly giants of the past than we can comprehend.

So, to facilitate ease of browsing through historical theologies when needed, and comparing them, I collected most of the important ones available on the net on one page. Dr. Richard Muller kindly helped with some suggestions as well.

If I missed any, feel free to suggest more below, though the sparsity of contemporary ones on the page is deliberate, as there are many of them that do not necessarily add to previous ones, and ones in the public domain are the most useful for internet users.

Right now the collection is of works that cover the whole gamut of post-NT history. Eventually I hope to fill in the sub-periods therein with much greater depth.

Hope you may find it useful.

No, I just wasn't that familiar with it or him. I had another person recommend it as 'the best' contemporary historical theology. Are you able to speak to the work? I added it to the webpage. Thanks for your help.

Allison is a Reformed Baptist, who teaches at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. I have the work, and I can say that I think it is well laid-out. It is meant to be a complement to Grudem's Systematic Theology.

"Development" is a nebulous idea. Not every development is an improvement. For cautions on the use of "development" it might be worthwhile including William Cunningham's North British Review article on Newman or James Buchanan's section on Newman's idea of development in Modern Atheism. Many of the "experts" in the field of church history and historical theology have used development to either justify non-biblical systematisation or nullify valid biblical systematisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back