AMH: I am not even going to the point of being efficacious. I am just trying to understand what the word means!!! LOL. BARAK, is used for both instances. What does it mean to bless someone, ie Isaac blessing jacob. Vs God blessing Isaac or jacob. The hebrew word barak is used both times and all strongs tells me is it means to bless. What does that mean, I do not know... Is blessing love, grace of some sort, favor? I do not know....
As far as speakign to an rc, I try not to stress the saints are dead. Because they are most assuredly alive. I am the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.... So we must be careful not to stress the fact they are buried in the ground and not resurrected.
Nicholas, as regards Strong's use of the English word "bless", the American Heritage Dictionary says this:
bless
tr.v.
blessed or
blest (blěst),
bless·ing,
bless·es
- To make holy by religious rite; sanctify.
- To make the sign of the cross over so as to sanctify.
- To invoke divine favor upon.
- To honor as holy; glorify: Bless the Lord.
- To confer well-being or prosperity on.
- To endow, as with talent.
I think probably 3 and 5 are more in view, given the language of the blessings in the OT?
You're right of course, about the saints not being dead, speaking of death and life absolutely. I have been using 'dead' more as a common description that they have died, they are on the other side of death, in a different realm: inaccessible to us in a way people living in the same city are not. But you're right that we shouldn't downplay our communion with them, and that we should emphasize more that our union with Christ forms the connection we have to them, not
vice versa: He is the one who always hears us when we call, who is closer than breathing.