Warren
Puritan Board Freshman
I've wondered if the number 6 is repeated three times for emphasis, not to make the number 666 itself, but to say the number of the beast is a "curse, then a curse, and a curse again". The interpretation shifts from a vain grasping after a numerical hidden meaning, to seeing that the wisdom being got by the beast fills man with cursing, blasphemy, pride, and all sorts of corruption.
Rev. 13:17-18 "And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark or the name of the beast or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. Let him that has wit, count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man, and his number is six hundred threescore and six."
The 1599 Geneva commentaries seem to expound what I'm saying, a bit, until they get bogged down in the Pope. I'm not going that far, not here, anyway. I only contend the number 666 is not a value, but an emphatic curse on the getting of the beast's wisdom.
What say you?
Rev. 13:17-18 "And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark or the name of the beast or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. Let him that has wit, count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man, and his number is six hundred threescore and six."
The 1599 Geneva commentaries seem to expound what I'm saying, a bit, until they get bogged down in the Pope. I'm not going that far, not here, anyway. I only contend the number 666 is not a value, but an emphatic curse on the getting of the beast's wisdom.
What say you?
