Robert E. Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
If you wish to debate this issue, please start a new thread in the Politics forum. This thread was placed in church history for the purpose of honoring Robert E. Lee's Christian legacy.
It seems like the senses in which he was a bad Christian in a big way belong in this forum.

Originally posted by Mike
If you wish to debate this issue, please start a new thread in the Politics forum. This thread was placed in church history for the purpose of honoring Robert E. Lee's Christian legacy.
It seems like the senses in which he was a bad Christian in a big way belong in this forum.

If you are going to continue to debate the politics of lawful or unlawful resistance to tyranny, I would appreciate it if you would start a new thread on that subject in the politics forum. Otherwise, this thread will likely get locked down or moved to the politics forum involuntarily, and I for one would not appreciate that.

Originally posted by Pilgrim
Originally posted by Draught Horse
Originally posted by LadyFlynt
Goodness, even I spell things as colour and neighbour, etc. :rolleyes: (we need a rolleyes smilie)

If we are going to take this country back from liberals and infidels, we need to start spelling things the old timey way, "u"s and all.

:up:

Yeah, that'll do the trick

Of course, I was (semi) joking :lol: , but it raises an interesting point. Nietzsche said people will continue to believe in God as long as they believe in grammar, or something like that. Point being something along the lines of grammar implies standards and abstract rules, and from there (I haven't finished this line of argument).

If you are going to continue to debate the politics of lawful or unlawful resistance to tyranny, I would appreciate it if you would start a new thread on that subject in the politics forum. Otherwise, this thread will likely get locked down or moved to the politics forum involuntarily, and I for one would not appreciate that.
So I am supposed to use your historo-political views in all forums but the politics forum? I must have missed that day.

No...if you wish to debate those views, then you must go to the political forum. Andrew was simply stating a famous personage is having a birthday and explaining their place in Christian history. If you wish to debate his Christianity or his politics, then you may NOT do it in this forum.

No...if you wish to debate those views, then you must go to the political forum.
I am not trying to engage in debate about the political issue in this thread.

Andrew was simply stating a famous personage is having a birthday and explaining their place in Christian history.
And he made an error in doing so. I presented a contrasting view.

If you wish to debate his Christianity or his politics, then you may NOT do it in this forum.
So we are only allowed to praise people from church history in this forum? It seems like we might want a more balanced discussion, discussing whatever good and bad might properly apply to a person. Shall we say nothing negative if I start a thread on Mary Tudor?

[Edited on 1-20-2006 by Mike]

No...if you wish to debate those views, then you must go to the political forum.
I am not trying to engage in debate about the political issue in this thread.

Andrew was simply stating a famous personage is having a birthday and explaining their place in Christian history.
And he made an error in doing so. I presented a contrasting view.

If you wish to debate his Christianity or his politics, then you may NOT do it in this forum.
So we are only allowed to praise people from church history in this forum? It seems like we might want a more balanced discussion, discussing whatever good and bad might properly apply to a person. Shall we say nothing negative if I start a thread on Mary Tudor?

No one is saying you can't critique him, only do it in the proper thread.

So if I started a thread on King Herod, an important person in church history, can we only say positive things about him in this forum?

So if I started a thread on King Herod, an important person in church history, can we only say positive things about him in this forum?

If you want to, sure, go ahead.

Technically speaking, you can say negative things about Marse Robert, but since many on this board will defend this most godly of Americans, it will quickly turn into a debate, which is what the politics forum is for.

Guys,
I'm not a moderator any longer, but let us please cool it. Andrew made a request and this Southron is about to lose his colour over this. Please respect him as a gentleman would.

Mike,

There is clear evidence of both Lee's Christianity and his integrity. The portion I believe you wished to debate was his politics. Should I question your Christianity if I disagree with your politics? Lee made a difficult choice...and he had his reasons for doing so, whether you believe in error or not. But he did not compromise his Christianity in the process...if you wish to pursue that he did, then let's take it to politics for the simple reason that that is invariably what the debate will include, unless you wish to take it to one of the theological forums (participating on what is believed to be the "wrong side" of a war as evidence of a persons spiritual state).

Mary Tudor was a Catholic and persecuted the Reformed...she may be heralded on the catholic boards, but obviously she has done nothing for us to make note of her birth (in exchange I lift up Jane Grey, whom was beheaded by Mary Tudor ;) ). I suggest you note the differences in the two cases (Lee vs Tudor) and stop tossing in the ridiculous. However, you are more than welcome to your view and to state such...but, again as requested, let's do this in another forum.

Originally posted by Draught Horse
It is hard to find the 4 voulmes of Freeman on Lee for a cheap price, would the abridged version be too much of a cut?

My father has this set. I'm going to have to check them out sometime. He's had the set for probably over 30 years , I think bought them from some Dr. in a garage sale!

[Edited on 1-20-2006 by Pilgrim]

Jacob, you may want to check abebooks or ebay to see if you can get them at a bargain price, unless you want a new set.

Imagine the average university president saying this today:

Robert E. Lee had a Heart for the Non-believers in his University

One morning, while the venerable Dr. White was passing General Lee's house, on his way to chapel, the general joined him, and they entered into conversation upon religious subjects. General Lee said little, but, just as they reached the college, stopped and remarked with great earnestness, his eyes filling with tears as he spoke: "I shall be disappointed, sir, I shall fail in the leading object that brought me here, unless the young men all become real Christians; and I wish you and others of your sacred profession to do all you can to accomplish this result." from Part 8, Chapter 19 of "A LIFE OF GEN. ROBERT E. LEE." BY JOHN ESTEN COOKE

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/Lee_Religious_Views.htm

[Edited on 1-20-2006 by Pilgrim]

There is clear evidence of both Lee's Christianity and his integrity. The portion I believe you wished to debate was his politics. Should I question your Christianity if I disagree with your politics?
1. I don't believe I ever stated that Lee was not a Christian. However, he is quite notable in history for wrong actions, which we should address.

2. Politics is not somehow disjoint from the rest of Christianity. I would tend to think that the moral issues involved in politics can be quite compelling when we consider political figures in history.

Lee made a difficult choice...and he had his reasons for doing so, whether you believe in error or not.
I readily concede this.

But he did not compromise his Christianity in the process...if you wish to pursue that he did, then let's take it to politics for the simple reason that that is invariably what the debate will include
So I cannot express a dissenting view I hold here because it will invariably be a debate here? I would think that it would be the person who engaged my view would be the one who should be silenced, not me. I don't see why I have any less place to express my view here than those who do not believe Lee was in error on this point.

unless you wish to take it to one of the theological forums (participating on what is believed to be the "wrong side" of a war as evidence of a persons spiritual state).
I don't think I ever addressed Gen. Lee's spiritual state.

Mary Tudor was a Catholic and persecuted the Reformed...she may be heralded on the catholic boards, but obviously she has done nothing for us to make note of her birth (in exchange I lift up Jane Grey, whom was beheaded by Mary Tudor ;) ).
She most certainly should be noted by us; how is the martyrdom of the saints not an issue we should care about?

I suggest you note the differences in the two cases (Lee vs Tudor) and stop tossing in the ridiculous.
I do not mean to say that they are the same. I was conducting a reductio ad absurdum argument to show that indeed we should be able to be critical of figures in church history.

However, you are more than welcome to your view and to state such...but, again as requested, let's do this in another forum.
But my view is applicable here. The debate on the criteria I use to reach that view ought not be debated here, but I am not participating in such a debate.

Mike, i think all these guys are saying is that this particular thread was created for the purpose of allowing supporters of Robert E. Lee to remember his birth and discuss his merits. They are simply requesting that if there is a need to discuss his flaws another thread be used.

Not being american i don't know too much about REL, but i doubt his flaws are so great as to make their request unreasonable.

dossantos-gen%20robert%20e%20lee.jpg

I should place "Resurrector of Old Threads" under your user name. :lol:

No Lee smileys. Maybe a Jackson smiley because he was a Presbyterian.

it's a shame that here in Virginia, the home of Lee and Jackson that thier memories are not more highly regarded but sold out to the carpet baggers in the interest of political correctness.
God bless his memory and service to the CSA and his fight to stand agianst those who destroyed the constitution and forever dissolved individual freedom and the soveriegnty of the states. Pity, we are now nothing more than serfs who serve at the whim of our ruling elite familes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back