Reformed Catholic
Puritan Board Freshman
There seems to be some places where our theology and modern empirical psychology seem to be in real tension on this topic, and I’m curious how others here navigate it. I'm skeptical of modern Psychology, but also not a fan of the "let's ignore all the research and studies that have come from academia" mindset.
Specifically, sexual repression v.s. mortification. "The psychological literature is pretty consistent that suppressing sexual desire tends to backfire since it creates shame spirals, increases obsessive thinking, and can lead to worse outcomes than acknowledgment and redirection. But I guess biblically speaking we need to mortify sin, including lustful desire. Are these describing the same process with different value judgments, or is there actually a meaningful difference between what a psychologist means by “repression”? If so, what does that difference look like practically?"
Specifically, sexual repression v.s. mortification. "The psychological literature is pretty consistent that suppressing sexual desire tends to backfire since it creates shame spirals, increases obsessive thinking, and can lead to worse outcomes than acknowledgment and redirection. But I guess biblically speaking we need to mortify sin, including lustful desire. Are these describing the same process with different value judgments, or is there actually a meaningful difference between what a psychologist means by “repression”? If so, what does that difference look like practically?"