Shame. What good is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne is a story of the controlling power of shame. Hawthorne called it a “drama of guilt and sorrow.” In Puritan Boston the minister, Mr. Dimmesdale, commits adultery with Hester Prynne. She bears a child, and the community ostracizes her by sentencing her to wear a scarlet A, for “Adulteress,” the rest of her life. Her sin is made obvious to all. But Mr. Dimmesdale conceals his sin. He keeps up an appearance of rectitude, but within he is tortured with guilt. After seven years he finally makes a dramatic public confession, tearing open his shirt to reveal his own scarlet A etched into his very flesh, infinitely more painful than Hester’s embroidered accusation.

What saddens me when I read The Scarlet Letter is that no one in this story understands redemption. No one understands that public disgrace has no benefit and that private hypocrisy only binds us to our sins. No one in this story has hope, because no one sees how God is able to create beauty out of the wreckage we create. The place where sin enters in is where God himself enters in with redeeming grace. When I read this book I wish I could step inside it and say to Mr. Dimmesdale and Hester and everyone there, “It doesn’t have to be like this.” But I can say to you, “It doesn’t have to be like this. You don’t have to be controlled by shame and hypocrisy. Your past is unchangeable in fact but beautiful in potential, because there is a Redeemer.”

from: God Saves Sinners, commentary on Isaiah, by Raymond C. Ortlund, Jr.

So is there a place for shame?

A Christian we will call "MS" challenged me on my post. Below is our interaction so far.
What do you think about the point MS is making?

From MS
Inward shame is good as long as it has its place in check. Yes, we may be forgiven, but sometimes we need that blushing to remind us of the dangers of sin. It also serves as a reminder to those around us. No, it is not our duty to shame someone necessarily. But it can be of good use if we refuse to repent as it did for the man St. Paul said should be handed over to Satan in 1 Corinthians. Note also that in 2 Corinthians, the man has repented and how the Church is to react to him. There is a balance to understanding shame and its uses. Yes, the Scarlet Letter is an unbalanced view, obviously in some ways. But what do you expect from a novel that doesn't claim to be theologically correct? It is a Novel and can be used to express how people truly feel and own their sin. Or even how they are forced to wear their sin. A minister in that situation should never be admitted into the ministry again. That doesn't mean he can't be used of God or be cleansed of sin, but he is no longer qualified to bear the calling. The book could also be called a deficient book concerning Church Discipline.​
Reply by Ed Walsh
Yes, Martin, shame has its place. But as a way of life, it is a clear sign that you do not yet know Christ. Or, rather, are not known by Christ.​
Reply by MS
I don't know. That is a rather black and white statement you made, Ed. Yes, my faith is a circumstance of my regeneration, but the sin that I have performed as a Christian still causes me to blush with shame and regret. Yes, I know I am cleansed by the blood, but some of that sin has harmed others, and it can't be removed like King David's shame, and regret was probably never totally removed. He lamented the death of two sons very harshly, knowing why they both perished. The renewed mind doesn't necessarily take away all of our guilty conscience. It uses it in a new way to goad and keep us sometimes. It helps us to warn others. I find it rather refreshing and helpful instead of a plague. But that is just me and my experience.​
Reply by Ed Walsh
Yeah, I agree. I was too black & white. True Christians have all kinds of baggage leftover from their actual sins and the sinful nature the Confession calls "remaining corruption," plus the attacks of Satan. I am embarrassed that I was so imprecise.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back