Should I be opposed to her going to seminary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evie, Jacob,
Both of you have inquired of the scenario "single woman". The single woman has a federal head. Is there ever a moment when the female does not have a federal head? That federal head is responsible (primarily) ideally to train her, along w/ the pastors. Should she go to bible college; I don't have any problem with that really. Seminary? No! I don't see the point. As Ryan mentioned, seminaries are to train men of God.

Scott,

Good points.

Just to clarify, my husband is a wonderfully godly man, whom I love dearly, but he is exhausted at night after a long day working so I can stay home and teach our children.

That said, yes, I have been consistantly been praying for him to spend more time tutoring me in the Word of God since we have been married, which is almost 15 years.

However, if he is in the wrong, that does not justify me doing something wrong.

And, because this decision to school was not hastily made, prayed about and does not interfere with my duties, and is not for any kind of ordination, I have been under the impression it was "okay".

Yes, it would certainly be one of the biggest blessings in my life if he instructed me.

He actually spends time every day instructing our children in God's Word. Right now, because of thier ages, they are on topics I understood long ago, but someday, I may be able to sit in on it too. Though, between us and the PB, ; I would rather not be lumped in with the kids on this one.

That's great you are always available to your wife. I think this is rare. The husbands of most women I know need '"don't bother me time" at the end of the day. You asked what this means.

It means, I can talk to him if I need to, and we are usually in the same room, but the more I talk to him (or the kids talk to him) during this time, the less he can let the day go.

I don't think its as bad as it sounds. Many people have undisturbed wind-down time in the form of a jog, or going to the gym, a long bath, or something of that sort.

As for dropping everything to talk about spiritual matters,
Spiritual matters are the majority of what I want to talk about and it has a tendency to frustrate him after a while..

So, the correct thing to do for me as a wife, in those times is to submit, and change the subject?

Back to original topic: you consider what I am doing overstepping my role?
But, to a woman who is taking seminary classes 'not for credit', or for a degree, as in the case of the original question on this thread, then it is okay?

BTW: everyone has made some really wonderful points on this thread!

I guess so Beth. Each case must be dealt with singularly. In your case, I guess it is ok. But hey, who am I?

As I have said, gather all the nuggets from the discussion and go from there. I would trust Fred before I would trust me, if I were you......:banana:

A tip to Beth...(and ladies like her)...

First, you are to be heartily commended for the work and devotion to children and family! (Not being a mom, I can't relate to the stressors and responsibilities therein.)

Let's also remember that the BODY of Christ is a truly connected organism, especially referring to the local church. We are to benefit from the gifts of each other - including teaching, discipling - within the CONTEXT of home and the local church.

Though it is a very good thing for women disciples to learn from many distant (even dead) teachers/pastors....it is within Scriptures' meaning that we be truly accountable and theologically protected by our real, local pastors/consistory. This is a real relationship.

Too often I counsel (Titus 2) women who get hindered or misled by teachers outside the flock. One friend is unfortunately succumbing to a (Christian) marriage-therapist with very heterodox theology. She confides in me (not our pastor); my hope is to get her to seek right counsel with the pastor. (Tough-going)

For six years now, as I've been studying many sources to make sense of The Faith, my pastor has gently nudged me on whether an author or other teaching source was + or - . I know he doesn't want a sheep to fall into a pit - or worse! Pondering this, it really seems "motherly" to me how he watches over us all, theologically.

So heads-up out there....there is a legitimate, real accountability parishioners have to their own pastor/elders. It's Biblical. It is NOT Biblical to interpret (for example) the teachings of Greg Bahnsen as being equal to one's real pastor; Calvin is not my pastor, Riddlebarger and Mattlack are. Why the distinction? Because pastoral authority is real. Calvin can't reprove me if I whig-out. On the other hand, Riddlebarger is famous for actually using his shepherds staff...he doesn't tolerate wolves, either.

I feel a burden for all good pastors -- they have so much to do! It is a rich blessing to receive the care and consideration of a truly involved pastor who takes protecting the flock seriously. So ladies, never hesitate to share your thoughts or concerns about studies with your pastors/elders. They should be able to affirm; protect and equip you in the Faith.

Robin

Robin, excellent advice!

Whitefield has wonderful teachers/mentors/pastors, as many on this board can attest to, but I agree a relationship with *ones own* pastor is of utmost importance!

Our pastor does not hesitate to straighten out any one of his flock if they go astray. You make an excellent point.

Your mood is "blue with flu"? Is it flu season already?? I hope you feel better soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back