Simple Pleasures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things to add......

watching a good episode of Star Trek Voyager...

the smell of my KJV genuine leather bible...

pancakes for breakfast...

gotta go because I'm cooking them!

Great additions, but, STAR TREK VOYAGER??!! Nah, TOS all the way. :p ;)

The best day of my life was a walk I took around my uncle's farm in California by myself late one summer afternoon about 10 years ago. I don't know why, but I just felt totally at peace as the sun started to set behind the hills, being surrounded by vineyards, listening to the birds sing and smelling the smell of dusty dirt, rosemary and anise plants. At one point a family of quail came running across the path in front of me, having finished their dust bath and then heading down to the river for a drink as it got cool. It was like time had stopped for an hour. It's what I hope Heaven will be like when I get there.

A dog says, 'You pet me, you feed me, you shelter me, you love me, you must be God.'

A cat says, 'You pet me, you feed me, you shelter me, you love me, I must be God.'

Obviously, dogs are Calvinists and cats are Arminians.

More additions....

Being the manager and not having to go into work because doggy needed to go to vet!!...

Spending day with wife!!!..

Listening to Rush Limbaugh Show on radio, although bumming because it's a substitute Rush...

Going to vet and Doggy didn't need surgery...

Beef steaks and Shrimp for dinner...

Wifely Cuddles...

...that leads to another simple pleasure! :wink:

Oh! That is such a good story! I cried!!! I don't hate cats I really don't hate any animal, I dislike some (snakes rats mice etc), but I just don't want a cat sitting on my lap unless they had a story like this one!

Remind me to tell the story about my old Border Collies. That one even makes me cry.

over 30 years ago, my dad owned a corner gas station and service shop. One day while we were both there we heard a soft, forlorn mewing coming from the upper tire rack. My dad climbed the ladder to investigate, and found a tiny kitten stuck in a large truck tire. I recall observing the whole scene play down. There's my dad, on the ladder. He called down to me, 'There's a stupid cat stuck in the tire.' He bent over to get a closer look, and the kitten, seeing her chance, swiped him a good one right across the nose. Dad yelped and almost fell off the ladder. He then shouted, "That does it!" He grabbed the cat, took her home, and she was our house cat for the next ten years. He named her PT, which stood for Puddy Tat.

Theognome

Yep, the little things are so wonderful. A grandchild's hug, the smell of a cowboy boot and saddle shop, a good dog etc.
I was blessed today by only four little words.
They changed my whole day and I was thanking God all day for the experience.
My son was allowed a call from his Army camp in Afghanistan and he called my cell phone as I was working outdoors. The connection was really bad but at the end I heard him say very clearly...I love you dad.
It put everything in perspective.

This might be out there but when I am thankful for something the toilet comes to mind.

Thank the Lord for John Crapper.

I love feeding and watching the finches.
A good bowel of black cavendish on my front porch while reading a book.
The sight of an old red barn and country church.
Southern Gospel music.
A good cup of coffee.
Classical music in the background after I wake up.
My shelty Molly.
Dinner at my mom's house.
I miss sitting down with Grandma and the boys listening to her tell us stories of her life.
When I was young we would go visitin. Just plain old visitin, sittin, and talking without a television or radio. We did this for hours.
Going camping and fishing with my Grandpa. Just us two. He took me a lot when I was a boy.
Campfires. We still have them at our house even.
Friday Night Lights. Man I love the kid's football games.
An old fashion worship service (without all the gadgetry of today)
The time I spend with my Dad. He is my best friend.
Going to the park with my kids when they were younger.
Hiking at State Parks.
Sitting in a deer stand watching a flock of wild turkeys or a fox trampling around.
Sitting in a deer stand and shooting at what I am sitting in a deer stand waiting for.
I love being at the drag strip with my family on a beautiful day.

This might be out there but when I am thankful for something the toilet comes to mind.

Thank the Lord for John Crapper.

A good bowel of black cavendish on my front porch while reading a book.

Yes, things lavatory are on your mind presently. It's a good thing.

Theognome

Sometimes we miss simple pleasures that don't necessarily seem so pleasurable, but should be.
Tonight Pam and I met our son at one of the elders' houses. He recently had surgery, so is pretty sore. While Jared and I shoveled snow Pam and Debbie (the elder's wife) made dinner. It was a small way we could come along side and be a blessing. It was one of those simple pleasures that can be easily missed. And the meal and fellowship were wonderful - no cats... ;)

I finally figured it out and fixed our car today after it's been sitting for about six weeks or so.

I had a wonderful moment just a few months ago. I haven't been here in the U.P. very long, but am appreciating the nature around here. A family that started visiting a few months ago invited me out to their farm. We got out early and walked across one of his fields as the snow gently floated down around us. About 70 yards or so head of us a couple of whitetail does turned and bounded into the trees. Off to the right a stand of trees stood against the slight breeze coming off of Big Bay de Noc. We crossed the field as the sun brought more light to our peacefully overcast scene. Andy and I reached the other side of the field, where the does and bounded into the trees, and leaned against a round bail. We talked about church, family and how God was working in our lives. After about 45 minutes or so I saw some ears coming up from below the trees to the west. I couldn't make it out very well, and thought it was a doe. Andy glassed it and said it was a 2x2 buck, and a big one at that. We watched as he emerged from the trees and stepped out into the field. He walked a bit, looked around, and nibbled from the ground. He really was a magnificent animal, and strutted as if he owned the whole world. I was grateful that God has given us this treat. Holding my breath, heart pounding, I slowly sqeezed.... BANG! Yup, that buck was quite a treat, and now fills a great portion of our freezer, and our bellies on occasion.

The same friends make wine. They make a desert wine, wassail, that is wonderful. Often I'll sit here at night and sip half a glass while reading, studying or interacting with my PB friends.

I like to make lattes. Almost every morning I sit here and enjoy a cup or four. Not too sweet, and nice and hot. In the summer I drink them cold. Another simple pleasure.

Today God showed my wife a way she could grow in Christ-likeness. I was blessed. Perhaps not so simple, but definitely a blessing and a pleasure.

My son returned an email and closed, "I love you dad." I was blessed.

Our dog ran up and snuggled against me, then licked and nibbled my ear.

God is good and I know Christ as a fellow heir. Not simple. But more pleasurable than anything in all of creation. All praise and glory to God.

On day like today I really enjoy
cooler-combo.gif

Especially that thermos on top filled with hot black coffee.

This morning:

Beaten Biscuits
Country Ham
Sorghum
Black Coffee

God's grace is wonderful in the gifts he gives us to enjoy!

The look of adoration and love in my Border Collie's eyes when he comes inside each evening and sits beside my easy chair. It reminds me that that is exactly how I should look
to My Lord and Savior.

The look of adoration and love in my Border Collie's eyes when he comes inside each evening and sits beside my easy chair. It reminds me that that is exactly how I should look
to My Lord and Savior.

Now that's "dog theology."

to My Lord and Savior.

Reminded me of this:

'When Luther's puppy [n. 116, Luther's dog Tölpel is mentioned again and again in the Table Talk.] happened to be at the table, looked for a morsel from his master, and watched with open mouth and motionless eyes, he [Martin Luther] said, "Oh, if I could only pray the way this dog watches the meat! All his thoughts are concentrated on the piece of meat. Otherwise he has no thought, wish, or hope.
Luther's Works, Volume 54, Table Talk (Philadelphia: 1967), pp. 37, 38. May 18, 1532

Every Friday night, the simple pleasure of laying in bed and knowing the weekend is here. I know that probably sounds like the workweek is depressing, but it's not. I just really love spending the two days with my family, crossing things off my to-do list, and relaxing.

This may sound odd but it's true for me...it's a pleasure when my deli department has two associates call in and I'm still able to find other associates in the store who are able and willing to help me and keep the deli running. I thanked those who helped and told them how much I appreciated them but I know they don't really know how I feel.

It's a good thing when you have people you can depend on. These are individuals with whom, in the past year, I have developed trusting relationships. I can depend on them and that's a pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back