Sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

D. Paul

Puritan Board Sophomore
I think this is a simple Q but I need to ask it.

Is sin to be considered a disease, a debt, a crime, or all three?

I see the sense in which we are all afflicted with the "disease" of sin from the fall, and that scripture presents a "remedy" in Christ, but justice cannot be served against a disease.

I can't recall who the Reformed preacher was but he made the clear distinction between the two which got me thinking on it.

I would define sin in the language of the Westminster Larger Catechism:

Q. 24. What is sin?
A. Sin is any want of conformity unto, or transgression of, any law of God, given as a rule to the reasonable creature.[92]

[92] 1 John 3:4. Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. Galatians 3:10, 12. For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.... And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

There is a sense in which sin proceeds from the corruption of our hearts (disease) and there is a judicial sense in which sin is a debt which can only be paid by the blood one who is righteous, but sin in itself I think it best described as a transgression (crime) against God and his law.

I do very much enjoy this poem by George Herbert which portrays sin as a debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back