Solid One-Volume or ESV Study Bible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaylorOtwell

Puritan Board Junior
I'm looking for a good one volume commentary that will help me to grasp the flow and purpose of each book, as well as provide a basic explanation of the text.

Is there a commentary out there that would suit this well. Would an ESV Study Bible fit the bill nicely?

I likewise have been impressed with the ESV Study and it would more than fit the bill

I would start with the ESV Study Bible and then supplement with additional surveys when needed or if you feel you need to explore a topic more.

The ESV study Bible is pretty solid though. Sections on doctrine, ethics, salvation history traced through each book and background information galore make it outstanding.

Happy reading!

I frequently consult Dillard/Longman's "An Introduction to the Old Testament" for flow and purpose of the book stuff. And I use my ESV Study Bible practically every day. Never met a study Bible I liked until it came out.

If the ESV Study Bible is so good, I don't have a copy myself, who are the scholars behind its notes?

I would echo what has already been said by saying get the ESV Study Bible! It's worth its weight in gold (and it weighs a lot!) After that I would just supplement with some of the commentaries that have already been posted.

I like the ESV Study Bible for the following reasons:

* Best English critical text translation available
* Most complete set of helps (700+ pgs longer than other study Bibles)
* It is so heavy, I was able to sell my exercise equipment, and go ESV-Only for both spiritual and physical fitness
* I saw the following (it "may" be a spoof) "news" article and it scared me . . . a whole lot!

Zondervan Investigates Translating the Bible to "Engrish"

GRAND RAPIDS, MICHIGAN

The desire to make the Bible accessible to all kinds of people has brought some "unusual" versions in the past. Notably, there was Clarence Jordan's Cotton Patch Version that paraphrased certain parts of the Bible in a folksy, grass-roots style. More recently there was the movement to "translate" the Bible into ebonics. Now, in an attempt to further see the Scriptures made readable to all kinds of people, Zondervan Publishing is proposing that the Bible be 'translated' into "Engrish."

"Engrish," as it is known, is essentially English that has been translated from another language, often by a non-native English speaker, and usually very poorly. This is most commonly seen on signs and the packaging of products from China and Japan.

"Engrish is becoming very popular." Said Kurt James, editor in charge of researching the possibility of the translation. "For the longest time Engrish has been nothing but the target of humor and ridicule. Now, we here at Zondervan want to show the world that Engrish is legitimate."

Zondervan estimates that the process would take approximately 7-10 years of intense work to accomplish. It would involve first translating the Bible into Mandarin Chinese from the original Greek and Hebrew manuscripts. Then, a group of 12-16 year-old Chinese students would be brought in to attempt to translate the entire Bible back into English, thus resulting in an Engrish version.

"We've already been involved developing a prototype of what the Bible would be like, and we're very excited about the results." Said James. "We've worked for the past 6 months translating 1 Corinthians into Mandarin Chinese and then having the students translate it back again. It turned out better than what we had hoped for!"

If approved Zondervan plans to invest some $3.5 million dollars to see the project through to its completion.

"We want this translation to be spread far and wide." Said James. "I'd like to see an Extreme Teen Engrish Bible or possibly a Women's Engrish Study Bible. We just want to see Engrish speakers everywhere be able to enjoy the Scriptures in a way that they can understand."

1cor.gif

:lol:

I'll bet there's a stimulus grant available for this if you only knew where to look. :lol:

The ESV Study Bible is great. The insights, comments, maps plus the essays make it a valuable resource. The electronic version is wonderful as I don't have to risk injury by manhandling that bad boy around school everyday. I think 25% of the contributors are current or former Covenant Seminary faculty.
But it isn't a commentary. A one volume devotional commentary that I find helpful is Matthew Henry's.

Plus, once you purchase the paper version, they give you access to a website where you can get it (and additional resources) online. Dollar for dollar, you cannot find a better study Bible.

I like my ESVSB, but I generally turn to my NKJV or ESV translations of the Reformation Study Bible, edited by Sproul, first, and to my 1599 Geneva Study Bible for a second look a any commentary.

AMR

Same with me. Reformation Study Bible + 1599 Geneva + Matthew Henry's 1 vol.

When I discovered the online version upon buying the ESV, I hardly ever took it off my shelf.

I like my ESVSB, but I generally turn to my NKJV or ESV translations of the Reformation Study Bible, edited by Sproul, first, and to my 1599 Geneva Study Bible for a second look at any commentary.

AMR

Same with me. Reformation Study Bible + 1599 Geneva + Matthew Henry's 1 vol.

When I discovered the online version upon buying the ESV, I hardly ever took it off my shelf.
Agreed. The online ESVSB version is so much easier to "lift", too! ;)

AMR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back