Some Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

puritansound

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings to all! I am not sure if I am putting this in the right place, but I am sure you will forgive a newbie.
I am saving up for both sets of Bavink's Reformed Dogmatics and Muller's Post Reformation Reformed Dogmatics. I have a few questions about these.
First, knowing that I will have the set of Reformed Dogmatics, is it also worth it to get Bavink's Doctrine of God also?. Is the material basicly the same as in RD?
Second, I already have a handfull of systematic theologys (Berkof being the primary) as well as some theology proper books. Add to that some seminary courses on systematics that I have on Mp3, and I think I am covered.
The questions I have are: which one to get first? what can I expect out of Mullers that I couldn't get out of Bavink, and vice versa? How do they relate and complement each other? I know that the are different in scope, but I am not exactly sure how. Any help that will make my decision much easier. God bless you
 
Last edited:
From what I gather Bavinck's Doctrine of God is taken from one of the volumes of his Reformed Dogmatics. I could be wrong though... :)
 
Greetings to all! I am not sure if I am putting this in the right place, but I am sure you will forgive a newbie.
I am saving up for both sets of Bavink's Reformed Dogmatics and Muller's Post Reformation Reformed Dogmatics. I have a few questions about these.
First, knowing that I will have the set of Reformed Dogmatics, is it also worth it to get Bavink's Doctrine of God also?. Is the material basically the same as in RD?
Second, I already have a handful of systematic theologies (Berkof being the primary) as well as some theology proper books. Add to that some seminary courses on systematics that I have on Mp3, and I think I am covered.
The questions I have are: which one to get first? what can I expect out of Mullers that I couldn't get out of Bavinck, and vice versa? How do they relate and complement each other? I know that the are different in scope, but I am not exactly sure how. Any help that will make my decision much easier. God bless you

Dear Brother, I know this is not answering your question directly, but I have the three volume set of Bavinck's "Reformed Dogmatics" and all I can say is that you can always glean a lot of material and understanding from Bavinck. I believe that the purchase of Bavinck's "Doctrine of God" would be a worthwhile investment and addition to anyone's theological library.
 
Greetings to all! I am not sure if I am putting this in the right place, but I am sure you will forgive a newbie.
I am saving up for both sets of Bavink's Reformed Dogmatics and Muller's Post Reformation Reformed Dogmatics. I have a few questions about these.
First, knowing that I will have the set of Reformed Dogmatics, is it also worth it to get Bavink's Doctrine of God also?. Is the material basicly the same as in RD?
Second, I already have a handfull of systematic theologys (Berkof being the primary) as well as some theology proper books. Add to that some seminary courses on systematics that I have on Mp3, and I think I am covered.
The questions I have are: which one to get first? what can I expect out of Mullers that I couldn't get out of Bavink, and vice versa? How do they relate and complement each other? I know that the are different in scope, but I am not exactly sure how. Any help that will make my decision much easier. God bless you

Yes, Doctrine of God is part of RD...you won't need the former if you get the latter.

I have not read Muller's work so I can't be of much help there.

BTW, a great place to find used copies of all kinds of books at good prices is bookfinder.com.
 
I may be over-simplifying but I would see Bavink as more of a theological resource and Mueller as more of an historical development resource. There is surely a place for both without fear of too much overlap.

Ditto on the need for Bavink's DOG if you have his Dogmatics.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top