Some Thoughts on the Mystery of Prayer from Matthew 24:19-20,36

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Greetings beloved of God,

In Matthew 24, there is a fascinating glimpse at the place of prayer in view of, and in harmony with, the absolute sovereignty of God.

Consider the very familiar passage below. It matters not whether Jesus is speaking of the destruction of Jerusalem or His Second Coming. The principle holds.

36 But of that day and hour knoweth no one, not even the angels of heaven, neither the Son, but the Father only.

Now consider what Jesus says in verse 20.

19 But woe unto them that are with child and to them that give suck in those days!
20 And pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on a sabbath:

The sovereign Lord sets the timetable, but Jesus tells his hearers that they should pray that their flight be not in the winter, neither on a sabbath.

A lot to consider as it relates to the mystery of prayer.

PS - I make all Scripture verses a deep red. Not just the words of Jesus.

I happen to think that verses 19 &20 refer to the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70, and verse 36 refers to the second coming - but that does not at all detract from your point. Ezekiel 36:37 is another good illustration of the same point - after a chapter full of undeserved promises, we are told "I will yet for this be enquired of by the house of Israel, to do it for them".

I happen to think that verses 19 &20 refer to the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70, and verse 36 refers to the second coming - but that does not at all detract from your point. Ezekiel 36:37 is another good illustration of the same point - after a chapter full of undeserved promises, we are told "I will yet for this be enquired of by the house of Israel, to do it for them".

I think the same thing as you on verse 19-20 vs. 36, but like you, I don't think it makes the point of less value.
Thanks,
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back