Sometimes I feel like Forrest Gump!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ww

Puritan Board Senior
In my life I've been in places and met people who at the time I had no idea were movers and shakers in the Reformed Theological or Political communities. Maybe it is as a result of my vagabond lifestyle. I've lived in a few locations throughout my life and others pure chance (wait a minute I'm a Calvinist). Here are some folks I met along the way as a layman, never having attended Seminary and only attending 1 Reformed Conference.

1. 2000- Joel Beeke at a Church in PA. Had no clue who they guy was but appreciate his contributions now after meeting him and hearing him preach.

2. 2001-Michael Horton. I knew who he was from the WHI which was the very show combined with RC Sproul's and James Montgomery Boice's broadcast that brought me to the Covenantal Presbyterian view of things. Heard him preach at a NAPARC conference in Pittsburgh and met him.

3. 1999- I met Michael Petroutka who played the guitar and sang at a Pastor's House in Maryland where I was invited, come to find out later he was a Presidential Candidate for the Constitution party.

4. 2005-Sinclair Ferguson, Derek Thomas, Ligon Dunan, Robert Godfey in Mesa, AZ. This was a PCRT conference.

These are just a few of the folks I've met some intentional and some unintentional that I later came to appreciate with regard to their contributions. In most instances I had very little knowledge of their work when I was introduced to them.

I'm sure there are some of you who have similar stories, if so share some with us???? :)

I once was in the same room as Ronald Reagan. He was there a few years earlier, but I was in the same room.

I was on an elevator with Eric Clapton YEARS ago at the Buckhead Ritz-Carlton in Atlanta....my "smooth" words to Slow-Hand? "Hey." Sorry I was in awe! NOTHING else would come out! :p

Me and George Bush went to different schools together. :lol:

Met Beeke at a worship service in Roanoak, VA. Very nice man.

Met Sproul the elder at a Holiness of God seminar. Got a book signed.

Met Sproul the younger standing around at a homeschool fair. Asked him some very impudent question to which he gave a very curt reply and an odd look, and we each continued on our ways. The Lord has granted me greater control over my tongue since then... although it still occasionally gets the better of me.

Wayne, come to think of it, in the right type of light you actually LOOK like Forrest Gump.

Are we speaking of famous people being special?
Well, when I am famous, you can say that you got a message from SE Wilson....

Do these count?

I was in the health club with Britney Spears and coworkers asked me why I didn't get her autograpy I asked who is she.

Told Bobby Knight he could not play basketball in our preconvene area he asked me rather nasty If I knew who he was and I said No. He just shook his head like every one should know him. Had no idea who he was. Some coach of some college team during March madness one year.

I used to work in a hotel and ran into lots of famous people, athlete, singers, political people. Did not know the great majority of them. Amazing how the people making big bucks want everything from the hotel for free. Used to tell them our owner is in the business to keep people employed and try to make a little profit. We never did make a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back