Split P Soup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only God can, and will, cause his ministers to see eye-to-eye (Isaiah 52:8). How we need to pray for this!
"Thy watchmen shall lift up the voice; with the voice together shall they sing: for they shall see eye to eye, when the LORD shall bring again Zion."
Jerry, I don't think that's what Isaiah 52:8 has in mind. In English the idiom to see "eye to eye" means to agree with someone, but in Hebrew it means to see clearly and indisputably or, as we might say, to see with their own eyes (see NASB). See Jeremiah 34:3 for demonstration: the point is not that they will agree with the King of Babylon but they will see him with their own eyes. Your main point is nonetheless valid: unity is a gift of the Lord's Spirit.

Jerry, I don't think that's what Isaiah 52:8 has in mind. In English the idiom to see "eye to eye" means to agree with someone, but in Hebrew it means to see clearly and indisputably or, as we might say, to see with their own eyes (see NASB). See Jeremiah 34:3 for demonstration: the point is not that they will agree with the King of Babylon but they will see him with their own eyes. Your main point is nonetheless valid: unity is a gift of the Lord's Spirit.
Thank you, Dr. Duguid. I would say it's still the doctrinal unity of the ministers in view: the watchmen shall lift up the voice in unison; they will sing the same song; what they see clearly will be the same indisputable thing. In context, Calvin on 52:8-- "Eye to eye, that is, openly. This extends, indeed, to spiritual conversion... but let us not on that account depart from the literal sense, so as not to include also the benefit which the Lord conferred on the ancient people, for when he restored the Jews to liberty and employed the ministry of Zerubabbel, Ezra, and Nehemiah, these things were fulfilled. Yet at the same time they ought to be continued down to the coming of Christ, by which the Church was gathered out of all parts of the world. But we ought also to go forward to Christ's last coming, by which all things shall be perfectly restored."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back