Steps of Bible study

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonderkins

Puritan Board Freshman
This may seem like an elementary topic to some, it's one I'm currently struggling with. I've never really excelled at Bible study. Can anyone walk through some basic methods? I'm a lay person that doesn't know Greek or Hebrew. I need a shove in the right direction.

So I've got my Bible, pen and paper for whatever notes I might think of taking. I've just read Romans 1. I maybe read it again. I stop to think about what I've read. Now what? What's your next move?

Am I missing any resources?

Hopefully any answers will be helpful to others as well.

Jeff,

There are various methods for how to study. Some of them are more complex than others, but keeping it simple should be the goal until you're more comfortable with deeper studies. Greek and Hebrew is indeed important, and I encourage you to learn if are able, but it is by no means required for you to partake in the delight of God's Word! The Westminster Confession of Faith puts it nicely in 1.8 (bolded part in particular).

"The Old Testament in Hebrew (which was the native language of the people of God of old), and the New Testament in Greek (which, at the time of the writing of it, was most generally known to the nations), being immediately inspired by God, and, by his singular care and providence, kept pure in all ages, are therefore authentical; so as, in all controversies of religion, the church is finally to appeal unto them. But, because these original tongues are not known to all the people of God, who have right unto, and interest in the Scriptures, and are commanded, in the fear of God, to read and search them, therefore they are to be translated into the vulgar language of every nation unto which they come, that, the Word of God dwelling plentifully in all, they may worship him in an acceptable manner; and, through patience and comfort of the Scriptures, may have hope."

Brother, what I would say if you're looking for material to get, is to look at trusted Bible study books and booklets from Reformation Heritage Books. The Family Study Guide by Joel Beeke is particularly helpful, but it is one amongst many.

If you don't want to crack open the wallet, there are simple questions you can ask yourself. This is not an exhaustive list and some people take a different approach, but I don't think you can go wrong with these.

1. What does the writer want the people back then to know?
2. What does he want me to know?
3. What is God doing in what I read (ask how you see each member of the Trinity involved with a particular focus on Christ's redemptive work completed in the NT or described to come in the OT)?
4. How does what you read relate to the rest of God's Word starting in that particular book to the rest of Scripture from Genesis to Revelation (the history of redemption shown in the pages of Scripture)?

I agree with everything Johnathan has stated, I'd like to add one more detail.

Concerning a lack of knowledge in the original languages, one way that will help you with that is to read from several different good translations. On your first read-through, read from your preferred translation. When you go to read it again, read from another translation, and so on and so forth. Doing so will help you gain insight from how many different scholars have translated the text from their understanding of the Greek and Hebrew. I'm far more along in my understanding of the original languages than what I was before, but even with greater understanding, I still find it beneficial to read different good English translations.

https://gentlereformation.com/2011/08/17/abc-study/

The following is a good method of Bible Study that Barry York and I were taught by Roy. The only thing I would emphasize is that one must understand the type of language being used as in is it Narrative, Descriptive, Exposition or Symbolic? I also learned to be patient and get advice from my Elders and friends who know me. The Old is in the New Explained to some people. That is true but the Old exposes what the New means also. The simpler passages also explain the harder passages. Those are a few things I learned. I hope this helps.

ABC Study​

From my early training under Dr. Roy Blackwood, I was taught the value of an ABC Bible Study. I have found with young and old Christians through the years that God’s people have found this type of study, which is explained below, helpful to their growth. In our church membership class, we teach this basic study as a way of having a devotional time. We also encourage those in a discipling relationship with others to use this study to train them to relate to God through His word. We will also have studies where we ask participants to prepare a study like this so they can participate more actively in the discussion.

The Lord promises that as you search His Word, He will use it significantly in your life (Proverbs 2:1-12). Keeping a journal works well with this type of study.

Analysis – What is God saying in the passage?

The analysis can be done by using ONE OR MORE of the following suggestions.

Remember, the most important thing to do while studying the Bible is to pray, asking its Author to use His Spirit to guide you into the truth (note in Psalm 119 we ask God to “quicken” us that we might be responsive to His Word.)

• Paraphrase the chapter in your own words.
  • Make an outline of the passage.
  • Compare different versions of the Bible, noting their similarities and differences.
  • Using a concordance, list cross references of important verses with their key thoughts.
  • Take notes from several good commentaries on the passage.
  • Ask the questions “Who? What? When? Where? Why?” and answer from the text.
Best Verse – What is God saying to me in the passage?

From your study, usually the Lord will use a verse or two, or an idea contained in the text, to address particular areas of your life. The Bible is like a sword that can pierce us so deeply that it discerns the thoughts and intentions of our heart (Hebrews4:12). Prayerfully ask yourself, "What is the Lord using His WORD to speak to me about?" Write down the reference and the chief personal thought you have.

Commitment – How does God want me to respond to His Word?

We must always be diligent not to only hear and know His Word, but to obey it. The good fruit of obedience shows that the Lord is truly working in our lives (Matthew 13:18-23, 36-43), proves that we are not deluding ourselves by listening but not responding to God’s Word (James 1:22-25), and reveals that we love God even as He loves us (John14:15, 21). Under the Commitment section of your study, make some practical application to your life based on what you have learned. If you are doing this study with another person or in a group, grow in your fellowship by sharing your commitments, praying for one another, and following up one another’s commitments to encourage each other further in godliness.

Barry York

Barry York

Last edited:
Wow. Thank you Johnathan, Daniel and Martin. That is a lot of amazing information.

I learn things pretty well from listening to audio while I'm in my truck. But I know that's not a replacement for good actual study. And then I always seem to get a sort of writer's block every time I sit down with the intentions of studying.

As my wife and I don't know anyone in our personal lives who are reformed, you don't know how helpful it is to have these suggestions and resources. Thank you.

As someone who is not very skilled in original languages this resource helped me tremendously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back