strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grymir

Puritan Board Graduate
I'd forgotten how funny this was. Here's a little treat for y'all!!!

[video=youtube;5Xd_zkMEgkI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xd_zkMEgkI[/video]

Enjoy!!!

This is almost more quotable than the Princess Bride.

"Help, I'm being repressed!" - so funny.:lol:

That IS funny... but what is sad is how many Americans would seriously agree with the man and woman...

If people no longer agreed with the sentiments it would likely stop being funny.

I've never found it funny because I agree in the least with the Marxist political philosophy being spouted by Dennis.

I find the scene funny because of the sheer ridiculousness of it.

I find the scene funny because of the sheer ridiculousness of it.

That's the point. It's making fun of Marxist historians and their horribly anachronistic way of doing history. Peasants would never have thought that way, but Marxist historians make them think that way in order to fit into their system. Dennis' Marxist philosophy in that sketch is exactly why it's funny.

If I were at home, I'd dig through my old school papers -- I had a medieval history professor assign us an essay in which the author elaborated on all the historical in-jokes of the film. Well and truly, Monty Python got the Middle Ages in a way that Mel Gibson never did, which is why I absolutely adore "The Holy Grail" and have nothing but contempt for "Braveheart". (For crying out loud, there was a bridge at the Battle of Stirling BRIDGE!) *bites tongue to forestall further ranting on that travesty of a film*

You're right... it is funny - to me, and to most of us (apparently) - because it is ridiculous. If you'll read, I was responding to someone who responded to my comment about it being sad that many Americans would actually agree with "Dennis" by commenting that it wouldn't be funny if we didn't agree with Dennis...

If you'll read, I was responding to someone who responded to my comment about it being sad that many Americans would actually agree with "Dennis" by commenting that it wouldn't be funny if we didn't agree with Dennis...

Oh, yes, I wasn't disagreeing with you. Badly phrased elaborative agreement on my part. First week of classes and I got a cold right after my Hebrew final last week -- not a good combination for my writing skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back