Study of hermeneutics book suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
and How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth seemed like it should rather be entitled, How to Read the Bible for 12% Of What It's Worth.

My thoughts exactly. Even before I was reformed I thought the book pedantic and annoying. Fee's New Testament exegesis is much better (in theory if not in practice).

Thanks for the tip, Hermonta. I've added that book to my wish list.

Those considering reading Fee's New Testament Exegesis should make sure to get the 3rd edition of 2002for its tremendous section on exegetical aids and resources.

I've never read it, but have been concerned about it given the fact that he's a firmly-committed Arminian...

I know lots of Calvinists who like "Heremeneutical Spiral". I own a copy and have poked around in it some. The author doesn't give the reader a mode of interpretation so much as he equips the reader, regardless of what the reader believes, to reexamine some presuppositions about Scripture, and God for that matter.

I am currently reading Amazon.com: Meaning and Understanding: The Philosophical Framework for Biblical Interpretation (Foundations of Contemporary Interpretation): Royce Gordon Gruenler: Books and loving it!

I have not read that book but it was highly reccomended to me by someone who holds to the doctrines of grace and the reformed tradition.

Required reading at a fundamental baptist (4 point) seminary that I attended. Can't say I'd recommend it as it was my turning point time to reformed theology so I did not finish the course. As far as I can remember, there was nothing that at the time I considered (standout) wrong. Although I'd have to agree, it's a very popular book.

Any thoughts on Robertson McQuilkin's Understanding and Applying the Bible?

I read it for my hermenuetics class, and was wondering if you would recommend for me to recommend it or not. It seemed to me a pretty simple, basic, yet decent work.

Required reading at a fundamental baptist (4 point) seminary that I attended. Can't say I'd recommend it as it was my turning point time to reformed theology so I did not finish the course. As far as I can remember, there was nothing that at the time I considered (standout) wrong. Although I'd have to agree, it's a very popular book.

Do you mean Hermeneutical Spiral or Meaning and Understanding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back