Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AV1611

Puritan Board Senior
Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

It seems to me that PuritanBoard has the potential to be a great witnessing presence in cyberspace :)smug:) so I have a proposal. Why not create a level of membership such that the non-reformed are able to join PB and post in a place restricted for them to ask questions about the Reformed faith. So they could post in forum x only but not anywhere else. Now I am not sure if this is technically feasible but if it was what would people think?

I like the idea, but I don't think that the majority will for many reasons. I think of "Rapture Ready", how many of you know that they have a forum those who are no premill can post in? I doubt many of you do as you have to join the site before it is visable, but to join the site you have to agree to their terms which is believing as they do. Now, how much sense does that make?

I think some precieve places that restrict posters as being "afraid" of other opinions, and while I KNOW that isn't the case here I think it could be beneficial to many to have a place to reach out to those who name Christ as Lord yet do not submit to the DoG, but again, I am nearly certain that I am in the minority.

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

It seems to me that PuritanBoard has the potential to be a great witnessing presence in cyberspace :)smug:) so I have a proposal. Why not create a level of membership such that the non-reformed are able to join PB and post in a place restricted for them to ask questions about the Reformed faith. So they could post in forum x only but not anywhere else. Now I am not sure if this is technically feasible but if it was what would people think?

Sounds like a cool idea to me.

While I think it would sharpen a lot of people (and I am generally favorable to the idea), the demeanor of the board would go sour quick. We already throw heretic bombs--imagine what we would do if we came across a real heretic!

While I think it would sharpen a lot of people (and I am generally favorable to the idea), the demeanor of the board would go sour quick. We already throw heretic bombs--imagine what we would do if we came across a real heretic!

While I get that point, I think we're harsher on each other than those who don't know or understand theology and doctrine. I think most here would see this as a mission of mercy to those honestly seeking truth.

I think there's a good point here. This forum would be really hard to moderate. I fear it would largely be flames from people that just want to drop criticisms of the Reformed faith and the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze.

I understand the sentiment. And I must say that if something like that existed when I was first looking into the DoG, it might have been a quicker journey. But, it would need to be highly moderated or it would turn into a version of a certain nameless board for Baptists that I used to be a part of. Instead of the good old paedo/credo debates ;) we spent most of our time arguing with people who had no idea they were open theists and hated the DoG.

As another stick in the mud moderator I agree with the nay sayers. The moderators spend a lot of time just moderating the board with the membership as it stands; it doesn't take much imagination to figure a second tier membership would become the tail wagging the dog. Josh is right, the board has public forums that can suffice for those you cannot meet the membership requirements. If we decide we "have" to minister more broadly maybe we can institute an "ask the PuritanBoard blog" to field sufficiently vetted questions? But opening the membership, second tier or whatever, is too problematic to how PB is structured and I suspect unworkable to the strictures of PB's ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back