The Case for DE Shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
:candle: I've found a ton of info about old school double edge shaving the last few days and I'm thinking about giving it a try. In true PB fashion it looks to be a money saver and a better shave. From what I've read the new double or more bladed razors lift the hair, cut it and it slips back under the skin causing irritation. A single sharp blade reduces hair without the raw feeling.

Thoughts?

j
 
No doubt about it. It is a better, more economical shave. It takes some practice, but it is well worth it. The only better thing is a straight razor. Plus, shaving with a mug, brush, soap puck, and a good razor is a manly tradition. It allows one time to slow down and reflect a bit before hitting the day.
 
Thoughts? Grow a beard. What maniac came up with the idea of dragging a sharp blade across a man's face, let alone two?
 
Thoughts? Grow a beard. What maniac came up with the idea of dragging a sharp blade across a man's face, let alone two?
My thoughts exactly. Then again you dont want to let the beard go either and grow out of control. Otherwise, You may start looking like me in the winter time.
 
I highly recommend getting a DE razor. I am not as manly as Lawrence and his sling blade but I love my DE razor. I have a Merkur #34c.
View attachment 2106You can also get a great deal on blades from Amazon. I got 200 Derby's for under $19.00. A blade lasts me a week (flipping mid week) so blades cost about $.09 a week. Honestly, even if it cost more, I would still use a DE. One day, when I grow up, I want to be Lawrence.
 
For most of the year I have a beard and love the way snow sticks to it when I'm out running. When it's warm I like to cut it down and leave goatee.

I ordered a Lord safety razor after reading the reviews on Amazon and Badger & Blade. It's inexpensive so if I decided it's not for me I'm not at a great loss. The Merkur costs a lot more, the Lord has a Merkur head and was $11 bucks with 5 Shark blades. I ordered a sample pack of 26 blades for a few more dollars and the total including shipping was $23.

(2- FEATHER Hi-Stainless (Japan) 2- BLUEBIRD (Europe) 2- Gillette Platinum (Russia) 2- Gillette GOAL Stainless (India) 2- Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Russia) 2- TREET Platinum (Pakistan) 2- Derby (Turkey) 2- Super-Max Platinum (India) 2- Super-Max Stainless (India) 2- ASTRA Superior Stainless (Russia) 2- ASTRA Superior Platinum (Russia) 2- TRIG Silver Edge Stainless (Pakistan) 2- TREET Classic (Pakistan))

After asking family if they still had a safety razor laying around I found a couple of straight razors. I'll clean them up and take it from there.

...shaving with a mug, brush, soap puck, and a good razor is a manly tradition.

Agreed. I've been using the puck and brush for a long time now and it does a great job. It lasts for months to boot.

j
 
Doesn't using a DE result in more cuts?
Actually, I get a lot less. One reason that people get nicks with them is that they press the head of the razor down. Ideally, you want to let the blade glide under its own 'weight'. Depending upon your beard it will take two or three passes to be BBS. (Baby Butt Smooth). Usually the first pass is with the grain, the second across the grain, and the third against the grain.

(2- FEATHER Hi-Stainless (Japan) 2- BLUEBIRD (Europe) 2- Gillette Platinum (Russia) 2- Gillette GOAL Stainless (India) 2- Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Russia) 2- TREET Platinum (Pakistan) 2- Derby (Turkey) 2- Super-Max Platinum (India) 2- Super-Max Stainless (India) 2- ASTRA Superior Stainless (Russia) 2- ASTRA Superior Platinum (Russia) 2- TRIG Silver Edge Stainless (Pakistan) 2- TREET Classic (Pakistan))

You will be amazed at the differences between those blades. Feathers are scary sharp. (They are made by the premier surgical scalpel manufacturer.) I love them. I have one that I kept because I was able to shave with it for three weeks. It is a trophy of sorts. Feathers are so sharp that for the first couple of days I don't have to make more than one pass to be very smooth. They take some getting used to. Most folks get tiny micro nicks the first day they are used. It takes practice to not let that happen. Even so, they are so sharp that the nicks are gone in about an hour and the rest of the days are wonderful.

I can't stand Treets. Some of the Astras work well for me. Every one is different. Some that work well for one fellow don't for the next.
 


---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

I thought those were all pictures of Jim Caviezel. :scratch:

They are of Jim originally, but they are photoshopped to accurately reflect what Jesus really looked like.

I thought about posting a joke picture but then remembered where I was....

I thought and remembered the same! :lol:

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

I thought those were all pictures of Jim Caviezel. :scratch:

They are of Jim originally, but they are photoshopped to accurately reflect what Jesus really looked like.

Ohhh... Now I get it!
 
Doesn't using a DE result in more cuts?.

I agree with Lawrence (as usual) that I get less with a DE razor. You just have to be careful. No long passes. The trick is short strokes. The three passes method is the best but I have to admit, I never do it. I shave in the morning before I go to the office so I never take that kind of time. I usually only shave ATG (against the grain) and I have very close shaves and no cuts or irritation.

The blade makes a huge difference. As Lawrence said above, Feathers are scary sharp but are fantastic. Derby's and Wilkinson Sword are what I use for every day use. Just don't treat a DE razor like a "Mach 5" and do a long sweep. Short, small strokes is the best. Badger and Blade is a great forum as well to get some techniques and angle to shave correctly. DE shaving is truly the best!
 
Last edited:
My DE hasn't arrived yet but a fella on another forum is sending me a single edge razor to try. It's a Star and looks like this. I guess it's a love it or leave it kind of razor and very loud. You hear it cutting the beard.

I bought some Proraso and find it very soothing, super smooth and gets a big thumbs up from me.

j
PS: A barbicde bath before I use it.
 
Last edited:
I highly recommend getting a DE razor. I am not as manly as Lawrence and his sling blade but I love my DE razor. I have a Merkur #34c.
View attachment 2106You can also get a great deal on blades from Amazon. I got 200 Derby's for under $19.00. A blade lasts me a week (flipping mid week) so blades cost about $.09 a week. Honestly, even if it cost more, I would still use a DE. One day, when I grow up, I want to be Lawrence.

If you keep it dry and only make it wet when necessary, you can take that week and drag it out to anywhere from 1-6 months (maybe a year if you're really​ lucky).
 
After doing the reading and research I bought a couple of traditional razors. Tonight I used a GEM Micromatic for the first time (made during the 1920's to 1940's). It was very close shave, no nicks or cuts. If you want a close shave and save some money at the same time give it a try. The Proraso makes me look forward to shaving, sick, I know.

j
PS: I'll grow my beard back in the fall.
 
alright, I'm about converted.

I'm thinking of buying a Jagger or a Merkur, but the Lord L6 DE razor looks pretty good for the price.

My question is more re: the soap. I think I'd like to buy D.R. Harris - anyone use it? I'm looking at Marlborough or Arlington, but can't decide on which scentwise. I like the idea of a tallow-based soap like theirs.
 
I'm not that familiar with the Lord. If you are looking for a great three piece razor hunt around for a Lux. They were made in Poland during the Cold War days. They are a heavy solid low chrome stainless steel. I have one and it is one of the best razors I have used. They can be found for under $10.00. Merkurs are great, but you pay for their name, especially these days. Don't overlook a Gillette. They are pretty easy to pick up at antique shops for cheap.
 
Think I will stick with my Fusion Power ProGlide razor. The vibration factor is awesome. No irritation here and it makes me have a baby face so that I don't have 5 O'clock shadow.
 
alright, I'm about converted.

I'm thinking of buying a Jagger or a Merkur, but the Lord L6 DE razor looks pretty good for the price.

Go with the L6, it's the best buy. I'll buy a Jagger eventually because the finish is just amazing but most folks still use the L6 even after they buy the more expensive razors.

My question is more re: the soap. I think I'd like to buy D.R. Harris - anyone use it? I'm looking at Marlborough or Arlington, but can't decide on which scentwise. I like the idea of a tallow-based soap like theirs.

I've never used Harris and would recommend Proraso in the green tub. It's amazing stuff. Pick up some Witch Hazel and slap it on like after shave when you're done shaving...works wonders on your skin.

jm
 
Ditto on the Witch Hazel. It really helps the skin. It will even painlessly seal up small nicks. Use it prior to your scented aftershave. There is a reason it was a standard treatment in the past.

Don't overlook Williams shave soap. It is cheap and once you learn to use a good brush it makes great lather.
 
I got the sandalwood shave soap from Crabtree and Evelyn as a present a while back, and really like it. I'll be looking for more affordable options when that runs out. I've used the mug and brush since college, but I haven't been brave enough to try the DE razor yet. I think I'll give it a try now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top