The Case for DE Shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhhh, sandalwood! That must smell great.

Don't be afraid of the SE or the DE, just watch the videos on YouTube and go for it.
 
I have to admit that is sounds very funny to me that you learned to shave with a DE razor from watching Youtube. I learned to shave from watching my father. My first razor was a Gillette. I still have it. I tried all the new multi blade things, but they just don't work for me. I switched to a straight razor from the DE safety razor. I guess I am older than I think!
 
lol yah, it is kind of funny. My father always used an electric, I tried it when I first started shaving (20 years ago now) and hated it. I bought whatever razor seemed good after that.

I'm glad I found SE and DE shaving it saves my face some agony and my pocket book some cash.
 
Shaving isn't the only thing that used to be passed on father to son, and is now taught on YouTube. I think the same thing goes for tying a tie. It is funny that new information technology is providing new ways to revive more traditional ways of doing things.
 
Youtube is a great teacher. Off the top of my head, Youtube is where I learned how to: tie a tie, use a straight razor, pack a tobacco pipe, do all sorts of exercises, and cut my own hair. Great resource! :)
 
It is a great resource. I just cracks me up.

Quite honestly, though, while amusing, it also makes me sad. I learned neither shaving nor tie-tying from my Dad, though I should have. He wore ties daily and was a safety razor, mug & brush guy as I recall (before following the masses and going the Trac-II route by the time I was ready to learn to shave) Old school shaving seems to be one of those things that really could be a great opportunity for men to lead their boys in the passage from child- to man- hood...
 
It is kind of sad. I learned how to tie a windsor from a teacher in high school, he was showing another kid and I watched, went home and practiced. I learned how to tie a bow tie from YouTube.

On a positive note my son is almost ready for his first shave and we've already talked about it, how to map the hair on your face, which products to use, how the old barber that use to do my hair would use a straight razor and warm shaving cream, etc. When he's ready I'll order him a nice starter kit from the net and walk him through it.

I thank God for these moments with my children.
 
I did learn how to tie a tie from my Dad, and that real men use a double windsor knot :D. I can't wait until my son is old enough to teach him. I taught myself how to pack a tobacco pipe, which is why I'm always needing to re-light it.

Jason, it's funny that you mention that about the high school teacher--I'm a high school teacher and I've taught two students (including a senior) to tie a necktie last year. It seems to be part of our job now.
 
It is a great resource. I just cracks me up.

Quite honestly, though, while amusing, it also makes me sad. . . . . Old school shaving seems to be one of those things that really could be a great opportunity for men to lead their boys in the passage from child- to man- hood...

I agree whole-heartedly. I well remember the anticipation of needing to shave like I had seen my father doing for as long as I could remember. I also remember peering around the corner watching my papa shave under the light of a single bulb with a pull chain. Most of the boys I grew up with couldn't wait until they could shave. It really was a rite of passage.
 
Well, I just got my L6 and some Derby blades from Amazon and tried my first DE shave Sunday. Best shave I've ever had, so thanks, gentlemen, for the heads up on an older, better shaving tradition. Now I'm hooked.

:candle: I've found a ton of info about old school double edge shaving the last few days and I'm thinking about giving it a try. In true PB fashion it looks to be a money saver and a better shave. From what I've read the new double or more bladed razors lift the hair, cut it and it slips back under the skin causing irritation. A single sharp blade reduces hair without the raw feeling.

Thoughts?

j
 
Well, I just got my L6 and some Derby blades from Amazon and tried my first DE shave Sunday. Best shave I've ever had, so thanks, gentlemen, for the heads up on an older, better shaving tradition. Now I'm hooked.

:up: Before you know it you'll be a "collector" of razors. I have three now. The L6 (DE), a Star from 1912 (SE) and a GEM Micromatic Open Comb (SE). The single edge is a lot more aggressive then a regular DE and they are cheap. I paid .99 cents for mine and love it.

Do you have a badger and some Proraso? Maybe some bay rum, Lawrence brought it to my attention...and witch hazel.

Good stuff.
 
I'm already looking at razors online, but I need to wait until the school year starts before I can splurge again. I do already have a badger brush (far better than the cheap drug store one I had before), and I found Thayer's witch hazel at our local organic food coop. I'm using some sandalwood shaving soap I got as a present, after that is used up I'll try Proraso. Thanks for the tip on the bay rum, I'll look for some and give it a try.

I'm amazed by all the attention traditional shaving gets on the internet with Youtube videos, discussion boards, collecting mania, and the like. My wife just worries that it's a gateway drug, and I'll be buying a straight razor next...

Well, I just got my L6 and some Derby blades from Amazon and tried my first DE shave Sunday. Best shave I've ever had, so thanks, gentlemen, for the heads up on an older, better shaving tradition. Now I'm hooked.

:up: Before you know it you'll be a "collector" of razors. I have three now. The L6 (DE), a Star from 1912 (SE) and a GEM Micromatic Open Comb (SE). The single edge is a lot more aggressive then a regular DE and they are cheap. I paid .99 cents for mine and love it.

Do you have a badger and some Proraso? Maybe some bay rum, Lawrence brought it to my attention...and witch hazel.

Good stuff.
 
I've been looking for a MMCP (micromatic clog pruf) and a new DE, something more aggressive then the L6, let us know what you decided.

Which blades have you used?
 
Okay, the plunge is taken... Merkur 34C DE razor, Crystal blades, D.R.Harris Arlington soap & A/S, and an Omega PRO 49 brush... pray for a steady hand come Thursday morning :)
 
Okay, the plunge is taken... Merkur 34C DE razor, Crystal blades, D.R.Harris Arlington soap & A/S, and an Omega PRO 49 brush... pray for a steady hand come Thursday morning :)

Nice set up! I was thinking about upgrading from the L6 to something a little nicer but I'll wait until you post some thoughts on the 34c.
 
Okay, the plunge is taken... Merkur 34C DE razor, Crystal blades, D.R.Harris Arlington soap & A/S, and an Omega PRO 49 brush... pray for a steady hand come Thursday morning :)

Nice set up! I was thinking about upgrading from the L6 to something a little nicer but I'll wait until you post some thoughts on the 34c.

I have the 34C (see post number 8) and I give it high marks. It is a great razor!
 
I got 200 Derby's for under $19.00. A blade lasts me a week (flipping mid week) so blades cost about $.09 a week. Honestly, even if it cost more, I would still use a DE. One day, when I grow up, I want to be Lawrence.

I tried Derby's this week for the first time and liked them very much. Where did you order from?

I've been considering a better DE any thoughts on the Edwin Jagger?
 
I got 200 Derby's for under $19.00. A blade lasts me a week (flipping mid week) so blades cost about $.09 a week. Honestly, even if it cost more, I would still use a DE. One day, when I grow up, I want to be Lawrence.

I tried Derby's this week for the first time and liked them very much. Where did you order from?

I've been considering a better DE any thoughts on the Edwin Jagger?

I got them on Amazon. Check them out here. I bought them from DiscountsJungle with no issues.

I am no help of the Jagger. Heard good things about them but never tried one.
 
I'm already looking at razors online, but I need to wait until the school year starts before I can splurge again. I do already have a badger brush (far better than the cheap drug store one I had before), and I found Thayer's witch hazel at our local organic food coop. I'm using some sandalwood shaving soap I got as a present, after that is used up I'll try Proraso. Thanks for the tip on the bay rum, I'll look for some and give it a try.

I'm amazed by all the attention traditional shaving gets on the internet with Youtube videos, discussion boards, collecting mania, and the like. My wife just worries that it's a gateway drug, and I'll be buying a straight razor next...




Well, I just got my L6 and some Derby blades from Amazon and tried my first DE shave Sunday. Best shave I've ever had, so thanks, gentlemen, for the heads up on an older, better shaving tradition. Now I'm hooked.

:up: Before you know it you'll be a "collector" of razors. I have three now. The L6 (DE), a Star from 1912 (SE) and a GEM Micromatic Open Comb (SE). The single edge is a lot more aggressive then a regular DE and they are cheap. I paid .99 cents for mine and love it.

Do you have a badger and some Proraso? Maybe some bay rum, Lawrence brought it to my attention...and witch hazel.

Good stuff.

That is Hilarious :lol:


I am also getting ready to take the plunge on DE shaving soon. My wife asked what I wanted for my birthday (september 9th) and I gave her a link for a new Merkur 34C, a variety pack of blades, soap, badger brush and some Poraso. :think:
Hopefully I don't leave to much skin in the sink.
 
Anyone here try an SE (single edge)?

I do prefer the SE over the DE's but I can't use the SE everyday because it's so aggressive and gives me razor burn if I use it for more then 3 or 4 days in a row. I have two SE's and just bought another from ebay. This new razor was listed as "mint" condition and so I shelled out $17.50 for it but SE's are normally dirt cheap. They go for anywhere around .99 cents to $60 bucks.

[video=youtube;lUG2B_-D0d4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUG2B_-D0d4[/video]
 
Got my kit via UPS today, and made my first lathers while defunkifying the brush... man, Dr Harris makes an easy to work with soap! Got a great looking lather (if short in quantity - I never have done this, so the first try was bound to be off in some way). Seems like I got the lather to work up ok for a first go, so I'm feeling pretty good about it so far. :)

View attachment 2218

It was a practice lather, to soak the brush in overnight, but I put some on the old kisser anyway just to test it out. Feels great! The scent is fantastic too... will want something more woody for the late fall & winter, but for summer/early fall, this scent is just great.

First DE shave ever tomorrow. Thanks for inspiring my change of shaving style, y'all :) (and for pointing out badgerandblade.com - great tips there for the DE shaving noob!)
 
Great Todd. I look forward to your review of DE shaving in general. We can now talk blades...

I've heard a lot of hype about Feathers being the best but I tried them, didn't think they were that great and definitely not worth the extra cash. Which blades did you buy?
 
Great Todd. I look forward to your review of DE shaving in general. We can now talk blades...

I've heard a lot of hype about Feathers being the best but I tried them, didn't think they were that great and definitely not worth the extra cash. Which blades did you buy?

I've got the Merkur Supers that came with the razor, and bought some Crystal (Israeli made Personna). Will check these out first and maybe get some Feathers. I'm not sure I want to buy one of those sampler packs where I'll not like half of what I buy. What I've got came really cheap, and a 10 pack of Feathers won't set me back much either.
 
I have been thinking about this subject also. I have ordered both a DE razor, as well as a straight razor. They should be in the mail anyday. I am excited about giving this a try because I am also dissatisfied with modern razors and hate the price you pay for the cartridges. Happy shaving! :cheers:
 
What brand of DE and straight? I've wanted to pick up a straight but not sure which way to go.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top