The Chosen (TV Show)

Is The Chosen (TV Show) a violation of the 2nd Commandment

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Stay far away from it. Any depiction of Christ—for whatever reason whatsoever—is rank idolatry.

It's also a show made by Mormons, so I would argue that is an even bigger problem as they don't actually believe in a Biblical Jesus.

It's also a show made by Mormons, so I would argue that is an even bigger problem as they don't actually believe in a Biblical Jesus.
I had heard that they were utilizing sets that were made by the Mormon church, but I didn't think the people making the series were Mormons--do you have an article or anything that says this? If it's true, then I'm completely on board with your assessment.

Yea that's not completely accurate the actual creator went to Harvest Bible Chapel, which has it's own issues, but it's definitely not Mormon.

The writer is not Mormon, although the executive producer is.

See this quote:
Dallas Jenkins is not Mormon but he is an evangelical Christian who is working with Mormons (members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) to create The Chosen. Lots of people think Dallas Jenkins is Mormon but that is part of the miracle of the Chosen TV Series. To have Evangelical Christians and Mormons working together on the most popular show about Jesus Christ is truly a miracle.

Speaking of Mormon art, why does it always have that... look?

You know what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending RCC or EO or Lutheran or even--heaven forbid--evangelical kitsch art.

But Mormon art always looks off, somehow. In a creepy way. Like Stepford-wives off, or something.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who's noticed this.

The show is made in partnership with Mormans, that is problematic enough, what does light have to do with darkness? Mormans worship demons. Would you have a problem if the show was made with Satanists? If yes, why is your standard different for Mormans, they both worship Satan in the end. Also, the creator of the show also says he believes Mormans are Christians. Literally states: "“We love the same Jesus…I’ll sink or swim on that statement.”

Here are is an article: https://fitl.co.za/2021/05/19/the-chosen-the-shift/

Last edited:
For any who voted that the chosen series doesn't violate the 2nd commandment, what confession of faith do you subscribe to?

I don't watch much TV other than college football or an occaisional 'fix-up' show or an old movie. So I'll sit this poll out.

For any who voted that the chosen series doesn't violate the 2nd commandment, what confession of faith do you subscribe to?
While the 2nd commandment as defined in the Westminster catechisms unapologetically defines as forbidden in the 2nd commandment "the making any representation of God, of all, or of any of the three Persons, either inwardly in our mind, or outwardly in any kind of image or likeness of any creature whatsoever" which I cannot see how could be construed to make the show not violate the 2nd commandment, I think the London Baptist Confession of Faith does not address this directly at all.

While the 2nd commandment as defined in the Westminster catechisms unapologetically defines as forbidden in the 2nd commandment "the making any representation of God, of all, or of any of the three Persons, either inwardly in our mind, or outwardly in any kind of image or likeness of any creature whatsoever" which I cannot see how could be construed to make the show not violate the 2nd commandment, I think the London Baptist Confession of Faith does not address this directly at all.
Why do you say so, Jake? The wording in the LBCF: "But the acceptable way of worshipping the true God, is instituted by himself, and so limited by his own revealed will, that he may not be worshipped according to the imagination and devices of men, nor the suggestions of Satan, under any visible representations, or any other way not prescribed in the Holy Scriptures" (Chapter 22:1) seems to prohibit any images of God. https://kentbrandenburg.blogspot.com/2012/07/images-and-pictures-of-Jesus-Christ.html

(I can't get this link to work but if you Google it it comes up. I'm sure reformed Baptist members on the board could supply more resources to clarify and enlighten.)

Last edited:
Why do you say so, Jake? The wording in the LBCF: "But the acceptable way of worshipping the true God, is instituted by himself, and so limited by his own revealed will, that he may not be worshipped according to the imagination and devices of men, nor the suggestions of Satan, under any visible representations, or any other way not prescribed in the Holy Scriptures" (Chapter 22:1) seems to prohibit any images of God. https://kentbrandenburg.blogspot.com/2012/07/images-and-pictures-of-Jesus-Christ.html
I can't get your link to work for some reason, but some make a distinction between creating an image and worshipping an image, and would say only the latter is forbidden in the 2nd commandment. It seems that the LBCF is primarily concerned with worshipping of images not creating them in that section.

I'm not sure if you can say the LBCF or WCF without the Catechism allows this view (especially since the WCF was written in connection with the WLC and WSC), but many in church history have taken the view of images of God not being for worship but acceptable for educational and similar purposes. (e.g., Council of Frankfurt 794 and the RPCES in 1981, a denomination which shortly thereafter merged with the PCA).

For the record I heartily agree with the Westminster Catechisms and their interpretation of the 2nd commandment.

I can't get your link to work for some reason, but some make a distinction between creating an image and worshipping an image, and would say only the latter is forbidden in the 2nd commandment. It seems that the LBCF is primarily concerned with worshipping of images not creating them in that section.

I'm not sure if you can say the LBCF or WCF without the Catechism allows this view (especially since the WCF was written in connection with the WLC and WSC), but many in church history have taken the view of images of God not being for worship but acceptable for educational and similar purposes. (e.g., Council of Frankfurt 794 and the RPCES in 1981, a denomination which shortly thereafter merged with the PCA).

For the record I heartily agree with the Westminster Catechisms and their interpretation of the 2nd commandment.
I see what you're saying. I would think the intent would have been to forbid any visual representation at the time the LBCF was written but alas, not enough clarity of language. I wonder if any Baptists of the day wrote more explicitly on the topic.

Speaking of Mormon art, why does it always have that... look?

You know what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending RCC or EO or Lutheran or even--heaven forbid--evangelical kitsch art.

But Mormon art always looks off, somehow. In a creepy way. Like Stepford-wives off, or something.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who's noticed this.

Kind of like "American Gothic meets Church."

Some friends of mine like this show because they claim that many people around the world got saved already through "The Chosen". Very unlikely, I think. Highly doubt it!

I very much do not want to watch this and I will not, but I am not yet convinced it would definitely be a sin to do so.

I used to be ok with images of Christ, now I am more uncomfortable with them and prefer to avoid them, but haven't come to a position biblically yet.

I seriously dislike having a "picture" of Christ on a wall, although for a children's book I don't see too much of an issue, yet I still feel like I prefer to avoid it. That’s why I voted no.

Last edited:
Nathan, there is already an active thread on the very topic, not only so, but a plethora of threads already exist. There's no need to create a new one (let alone the recent one) to rehash the same arguments ad nauseam.

I believe he was just trying to say that there are many threads already discussing the 2nd commandment on PB. I believe it was an encouragement to search for those because they will go in to much more depth.
Jerrod may have gotten threads confused, it's very easy to do so! Nathan's post is an exact fit for this current thread.

My wife and I were discussing this last night. If a church put on a play where people acted out a Biblical account, would that be making a graven image? Now if it was photographed or videoed (say your children were acting in it), would that be making a graven image? We could go as far as the Amish and reject all photography. Even photographing an eagle taking flight could be considered making a graven image of what is above the earth. If a man takes a photo of the fish he caught, that could be a graven image of what is under the earth. Now, the problem I see with The Chosen is the extra-Biblical content added. I draw the line there for sure!

I happened to be on YouTube yesterday and stumbled on an interview posted by The Chosen answering questions, which honestly, pushed me further against the show. In light of the conversation here, I thought it might be worth sharing for those that might be curious:

I subscribe to Exodus 20:4 first and foremost as the Word of God says: "Thou shalt make thee no graven image, neither any similitude of things that are in heaven above, neither that are in the earth beneath, nor that are in the waters under the earth." See my explanation in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back