The Faults with Pentecostal/Charismatic Doctrine and Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Price

Puritan Board Freshman
Coming out from a very cultish background for almost 17 years, I have come to see much error and heresy in the ways and means Pentecostal/Charismatic churches teach and live. This has become more and more painfully obvious to me the more time I have been out from the group. Either Oneness Pentecostal heresy (a belief which denies the Trinity, denies the sovereignty of God, denies the deity of God the Son, establishes salvation by works of man, and teaches holiness as an act of man instead of the grace of God), or Trinitarians Pentecostalism, I have seen much contraries to scriptural truth presented in the midst of Pentecostal circles.

In this article, I will go point by point, line by line, and precept upon precept to show the error of modern Pentecostal doctrine, and open the understanding to the truth concerning gifts of the Spirit, fruit of the Spirit, tongues, and evidentialism in Pentecostal churches, all through use of the Bible.

One of the first places we need to explore is in the teaching of evidentialism within Pentecostal churches. This is the teaching that when an individual receives the baptism of the Holy Ghost, they do so with the evidence of speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance. The teaching sets strongly on the belief that the only evidential gift of receiving the baptism of the Holy Ghost is in an individual speaking in tongues.

The basis for this is in the incorrect hermeneutic of Acts 2:1-4, “When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.” Now, according to Pentecostalism, the evidence of speaking in tongues here in Acts 2 is proof that tongues is the initial evidence of all believers when they speak in other tongues. In keeping this teaching, they fail to continue with their reading to receive an understanding of what tongues are being spoken of here in Acts 2.

Verses 5-11 of the same chapter actually gives the understanding of what the tongues is, “Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. And they were amazed and astonished, saying, "Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians--we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God."” Notice what the people hear, that they hear those individuals who are speaking in tongues in their own language. These are not speaking of the modern babbling of modern Pentecostalism, but speaks of actual languages that those in Jerusalem, gathered from all other nations, heard and understood in their own native tongue.

Now, this is contrary to modern tongues in Pentecostalism, which in many cases are nothing more than idle babbling instead of what the Bible describes as actual language. And why is the promotion of tongues as evidence of Holy Ghost baptism such a teaching. Because when faced with a lack of depth of scriptural understanding and truth, man always seeks to have a sign, an external proof of what ‘they feel’, instead of looking to the truth of scripture concerning the truth.

But, another point lies against the evidentialism of Pentecostal churches. Many believe that Acts 2 was the first time the disciples received the Holy Ghost. This is very incorrect, as we can see in John 20:22, “And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit.”” When we read on, we see no tongues being spoken by the disciples, no ecstatic expression. We do see Jesus giving the Holy Ghost to His disciples pre-Pentecost, which flies directly in the face of modern Pentecostal doctrine, that the Holy Ghost was originally poured out at Pentecost. It also flies in the evidentialism of Pentecostal churches, because there is no direct evidence of the fact that when the Apostles received the Holy Ghost originally, they spoke in tongues.

Another poor hermeneutic used in evidentialism is the misquoting of Acts 10:44-47, “"While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word. And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles. For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter declared, "Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?"" Modern Pentecostalism points to the tongues being spoken by those here as another evidence of tongues being the initial evidence of Holy Ghost baptism. This is selective reading, because scripture clearly declares that they spoke in tongues and extolled God. They praised God. How could the disciples there had known this if these men had only spoken in the modern gibberish of modern Pentecostalism?

The fact is, the evidence of Holy Ghost baptism is not found in gifts. The evidence of one being filled with the Spirit is in fruit, not gifts. Gifts are translated in 1Corinthians 12:4 as charisma, which is favor from God. It is literally something God gives. While this is true, the word fruit as found in Galatians 5:22 is from the word carpos, which is translated directly as fruit. Gifts are not products, but only that which is given by someone to someone else. On the other hand, fruit are products, natural produce that comes as expected from the source.

Fruit is the evidence of the Spirit being in someone, not gifts. Gifts are divine favor given by God. Fruit is what we are expected to produce, byproducts of what is within us. Sadly, in Pentecostalism, the evidentialism therein neglects fruit all together, seeking more of the natural manifestation instead of the spiritual conversion. Many individuals have even admitted to faking tongues within Pentecostalism, and this is no wonder. If one attends a UPCI altar service, an individual comes forward, and there are five or six people standing around the individual, trying to coax them to speak in tongues. One person has their arm on the shoulder yelling in the ear, “Hold on! Hold On!” While this is happening, another individual is on the other side yelling in the ear, “Let Go! Let Go!” And, while this is going on, someone is in front of them, telling to say the name of Jesus repeatedly, faster and faster. Finally, some individuals out of an almost fear for their life just gibber, and everyone declares them to have the Holy Ghost.

How carnal this practice is?! How absolutely unscriptural as well?! The modern Pentecostal church is filled with such events, whether great or small. The focus is not upon the Lord, but instead on these ridiculous manifestations which seek physical stimulation instead of spiritual edification. While I do not hold to a cessationist point of view, I do not have the ability within myself to say any longer that what happens in Pentecostalism today can be identified as scriptural.

Another point of fallacy within Pentecostalism is the focus more on supernatural manifestations instead of scriptural understanding. In many services, there is no preaching of the Word. There is a supernatural ebbing of the Spirit, some begin speaking with tongues, and others follow, and then the whole service is thrown into chaos. Bible preaching and study is considered secondary to these manifestations, and thus the Lord is not edified and His name is not made great. God Himself spoke to Isaiah in Isaiah 42:8, “I am the LORD; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols.” While Pentecostalism claims this is done in the name of the Lord, the fact is that these manifestations are worshipped more than the Lord is in many Pentecostal circles. This is idolatry, and is not accepted by the Lord.

I remember myself, many a time, being wrapped up in emotional outbursts, thinking that what I was doing was getting deeper into the Spirit. I would close my eyes, spin around, dance violently, fall out in the Spirit, and speak in tongues for long periods of time. I would emotionally feel a physical release, but the fact is that there is no spiritual change. I was still lost and still in my sins. And, I was considered so spiritual by so many in Pentecostal churches for some time. But, I was chasing after a circus carnival instead of chasing after God. This is a plight in modern Pentecostalism.

Now that we have discussed tongues and evidentialism in Pentecostal churches, let’s go on to the subject of prophesying in modern Pentecostal churches.

Prophesying is defined within Pentecostal churches as a supernatural phenomenon in which “The Spirit” speaks through a person in his/her natural language either of events yet to come, or is when God speaks through an individual a new revelation to His people. While I see that the former is recorded to occur through the Apostles in the writing of the canon of scripture, I see also that the latter is completely unscriptural according to the Word.

Let’s deal with the former first. In scripture, as Paul wrote to various churches, he would include prophetic teachings in his writings. Such could be found in 1Corinthians 15 and 1Thessalonians 4. However, when Paul spoke those prophetic words to the churches at Corinth and Thessalonica, those prophetic words effected the entire Body of Christ as a whole. When Paul spoke those utterances, He spoke them as what was going to happen to the corporate Body as a whole. It was never to individual churches in such cases. The only time recorded when prophecy was spoken to an individual is Acts 21:11, “And coming to us, he took Paul's belt and bound his own feet and hands and said, "Thus says the Holy Spirit, 'This is how the Jews at Jerusalem will bind the man who owns this belt and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.'" No where else can be found such an incident in scripture. Am I saying this could happen not again? No, but I am saying that it is not happening in Pentecostal churches as they claim it does.

A familiar term in Pentecostal churches is “prophe-lying” where someone speaks a lying word under the guise of prophetic utterance. One such incident happened at a United Pentecostal Church in North Houston. A lady stood up and spoke a word against another lady who was against her. Then, after she finished, the other lady stood up and spoke a word against the first, and this continued on for a few minutes. What absolute unscriptural heresy and nonsense?!

Now, let’s deal with the second part of prophesying in Pentecostalism today. We have heard time and again of men and women who have received new revelations through prophecy. Many of these have led churches down dark roads of heresy and self-destruction. The reasoning is that the Word of God has ceased being the final word on all doctrine and truth, and has instead been downgraded to nothing more than a witness of prophecy. Though many Pentecostals claim to hold the Bible high, the fact is they do not hold it as sola scriptura. Instead, they use the Bible, twisting and perverting verses therein, to back up their experiences. The Bible is not used as a judge, but instead as a jack, lifting up experience.

This is quite contrary to the teachings of the Apostle Paul concerning scripture. Paul teaches us in 2Timothy 3:16-17, “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.” When one takes prophecy and replaces scripture with such, they in fact remove from their walk the foundational principals of the Lord, instead replacing them with personal revelations. The truth about new revelations in modern Pentecostalism can be found in an Old Testament scripture, Ecclesiastes 1:9, “What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun.” Church doctrine is not some new revelation given through modern prophecy, but long ago established truth given by God through the pages of scripture.

While these and of themselves are enough to prove modern Pentecostalism wrong, let’s look at some of the false doctrines which have come forth out of this movement. Among Oneness Pentecostals, oneness theology has resurrected, a theology which openly denies the trinity of God and the deity of God the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. This doctrine believes that Jesus is the Father, and the Son is nothing more than the human flesh Jesus dwelled in while on earth, thus denying Jesus’ identity as the Son as being God. Also, a new revelation has come forth out of the Oneness tree of Pentecostalism, holy magic hair. This doctrine teaches that a woman whose hair is long and uncut can be let down to call down angels and bring God to cause prayers to be answered and miracles to occur. It is occult phenomenon and heresy to say the least. Also, the claim of Jesus name baptism among oneness believes that baptism should only be done in the name of Jesus, Jesus Christ, the Lord Jesus, or the Lord Jesus Christ, depending upon the Church you ask.

While all these above are in Oneness Pentecostal church, Trinitarian Pentecostal churches also carry their own weight of baggage. Modern prosperity doctrine promotion is a major part of quite a few Pentecostal churches. Not to mention such phenoms as Todd Bentley, Rodney Howard-Browne, Joyce Meyers, T.D. Jakes, Benny Hinn, and Joel Osteen, who promote either new age feel good about yourself mysticism, prosperity lies, or money for healing. While all this is happening, people, even those outside the Church are not being fooled into believing such is acceptable in true Christianity.

Now, let me reiterate, that this article is not designed to promote a form of cessationism. Instead, modern Pentecostal/Charismatic doctrinal fallacies have been shown forth here. In no manner am I promoting that the supernatural has ceased in this, but instead encourage all to judge according to scripture, and test if that is according to the Bible. I do believe, and have been recipient of, miraculous events and happenings in my life. Now, I see such as divine grace from God, and to Him all the glory goes.

While the supernatural does still occur, I do not believe in any way, shape, or form that modern Pentecostalism is in fact continuing what the Bible declares happened in it’s pages.

Before you even get to this, remember charismatic/pentecostal churches are:

Arminian influenced + dispensational theology + no confession

(and probably "memorial only" view of the sacraments + "low view" of visible church + no church discipline)

then add to that, contrary to I Cor 14:

centering corporate worship on "charismatic" gifts (not prophecy) + wrongly prioritizing these gifts (rather than teaching Word) + using as revelation for believers (not sign to unbelievers)...

All that before even getting to the issue of whether those particular gifts ceased as the canon of scripture was fulfilled.

Sometimes all the systematic doctrine and practice is overlooked and focus is on only the issue of their identification. No wonder there is such disorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back