The Higher Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenMartyr

Puritan Board Freshman
Hey all!

I'm currently reading a biography of Amy Carmichael (Banner of Truth). It's been really good. One thing that stood out was near the beginning on page 7. It says near the top:

"She [Amy] had become a Christian at a time when the truth that spiritual usefulness is related to personal holiness was gaining wider attention among evangelicals."

It goes on to say on the same page below the above quote, that she went to Glasgow to attend meetings "'...on the deepening of the spiritual life'." Andrew Bonar also was there and called the meetings both "...a little misleading..." but "...helpful." Now Keswick was also mentioned on the page, Keswick, Cumbria.

Does anyone here know what these meetings were about? Keswick to my mind doesn't have very good connotations. I forget what it was but something "beyond the Bible"-like.

What are your thoughts on this "higher life"? Is it to be pursued?

I know Warfield did a two volume work on perfectionism. I haven't read it but it looks really good as well and it seems to talk of a way (meaning not advocating) to "get perfect" or "attain" something. But correct me if I'm wrong.

I know God uses ordinary people. In fact just a little bit ago I was on the front page of Youtube and watched a live stream talk / sermon from the Philippines (Christ's Commission Fellowship) and he was talking about God using Ananias. There was a short presentation break and now the main guy is talking again about Ananias. We don't seek to be "great".

But how to add all this up? Connect the dots.

One path is seeking this "higher life". Another path is keeping to the Bible, seeking God's will and being content where you are. And if God wants you to do something or be somewhere, He'll make sure it happens.

When Amy was (I think, if I read correctly) in her teens "Gospel work among children in a deprived area of Belfast now became a leading interest." (pg. 7). Already at a young age, God had been working in her, doing what she would be doing for years to come in India.

I hope this is making some sense.

Keswick theology 's infamous motto is "let go and let God." For them, sanctification is so distinct from justification that it can, and usually does, occur much later as per this maxim. It's similar to the whole 'carnal Christian ' notion of making Jesus one's 'Lord,' as opposed to Savior, later on.
Andy Nesalli(?) Has good resources on it.

I seem to recall reading something in a book by a prominent historian of British evangelicalism that Keswick had some mildly Calvinistic influences. If I remember, I will have a look on Monday to confirm whether or not this recollection is accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back