The Pope is Dead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin.carroll

Puritan Board Junior
Or soon will be...I was just curious what everyone thought. Do you think there are genuine believers within the RCC? Saved in SPITE of the teachings of the church?

I will shed no tears for the death of Antichrist, but yes, I do believe that there are some in the RCC who are saved despite the teachings of the church.

Originally posted by joshua
Ditto To Bob.

Yes, that's my thought too. It's shocking, though, how offended some Presbyterians (!) can get at the observation that the RCC is apostate. I have a few like that here.

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
I will shed no tears for the death of Antichrist, but yes, I do believe that there are some in the RCC who are saved despite the teachings of the church.

I've often wondered if the identification of the Pope with anti-Christ was the result of good exegesis or of 16th century Reformed polemics.

But, like you, I won't be shedding any tears.

I also believe in the claims that Pope IS the Anti-Christ.

So many things can happen in the next new Pope's work. A religiouse UN seems getting closer and closer. Scared!

VirginiaHuguenot , there are much to learn from you. Nice to meet you here.

Originally posted by Ken S.

So many things can happen in the next new Pope's work. A religiouse UN seems getting closer and closer. Scared!

VirginiaHuguenot , there are much to learn from you. Nice to meet you here.

Very nice to meet you too, sir!

Yes, I wonder about the next Pope too and what that will mean for the world.

Praise God that he is Lord over all things and will destroy Antichrist with the brightness of his coming.

Originally posted by kevin.carroll

I've often wondered if the identification of the Pope with anti-Christ was the result of good exegesis or of 16th century Reformed polemics.

Good exegesis. Turretin's exegesis here is particularly precise. However, the identification of the Pope with anti-Christ predates the 16th Century (the Albigenses, Cathars, Waldenses, Arnoldists, Henricians, Patarene, Dante Alghieri, John Wycliff, John Huss, Savonarola), was affirmed in the 16th century to be sure (Luther, Melancthon, Zwingli, Calvin, Beza, Bucer, Knox, Ferrar, Hooper, Latimer, Ridley, Cranmer, Ussher, Firth, Barnes, Philpot, Becon, Turner, Cartwright, Barrow, Jewel, Coverdale, Lord Cobham, Hooker, Ainsworth, Dent, Foxe, Fulke, Bradford, Bullinger, Rogers, Hutchinson, Whitgift, Drake), and continued (& continues) to be affirmed by many godly exegetes long after the 16th century (KJV translators, WCF authors, 1689 LBCF authors, Matthew Henry, John Owen, John Bunyan, Thomas Manton, Thomas Brooks, Augustus Toplady, Richard Sibbs, Thomas Goodwin, William Perkins, Jeremiah Burroughs, Isaac Newton, Jonathan Edwards, Robert Candlish, J.A. Wylie, John Gill, George Whitefield, John Wesley, Charles Spurgeon, Hudson Taylor, J. C. Ryle, Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Ian Paisley, Richard Bennett).

Does equating the pope with the antichrist address the office or the person or both?

This would correlate with the great apostacy Paul warned about. Which only took about 1 century after the death of Christ.

Pope

I was thinking about this as I prayed for the man last night, I prayed God's grace save even him, could not he see his rightousness as filthy rags in his last days???

TD

Originally posted by doulosChristou

Good exegesis. Turretin's exegesis here is particularly precise. However, the identification of the Pope with anti-Christ predates the 16th Century (the Albigenses, Cathars, Waldenses, Arnoldists, Henricians, Patarene, Dante Alghieri, John Wycliff, John Huss, Savonarola), was affirmed in the 16th century to be sure (Luther, Melancthon, Zwingli, Calvin, Beza, Bucer, Knox, Ferrar, Hooper, Latimer, Ridley, Cranmer, Ussher, Firth, Barnes, Philpot, Becon, Turner, Cartwright, Barrow, Jewel, Coverdale, Lord Cobham, Hooker, Ainsworth, Dent, Foxe, Fulke, Bradford, Bullinger, Rogers, Hutchinson, Whitgift, Drake), and continued (& continues) to be affirmed by many godly exegetes long after the 16th century (KJV translators, WCF authors, 1689 LBCF authors, Matthew Henry, John Owen, John Bunyan, Thomas Manton, Thomas Brooks, Augustus Toplady, Richard Sibbs, Thomas Goodwin, William Perkins, Jeremiah Burroughs, Isaac Newton, Jonathan Edwards, Robert Candlish, J.A. Wylie, John Gill, George Whitefield, John Wesley, Charles Spurgeon, Hudson Taylor, J. C. Ryle, Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Ian Paisley, Richard Bennett).

That's a lot of names and an impressive list to be sure...but what evidence is cited? I'm not trying to be argumentive. I'm still in the process of recallibrating my eschatology! :)

The Pope is not the only Antichrist As John tells us (I Jn. 2:18) there are always many antichrists. The cults and their founders and leaders, many leaders of the charismatic movement, the liberals, and all who deny the truth, are to one degree or another representatives of Antichrist. They show themselves to be "against Christ" when they contradict the doctrines of the Trinity, of the deity of Christ, of blood atonement, and when they claim for themselves power and position in the church that belongs only to Christ.

We must not, then, be so taken up with the idea that the Pope is Antichrist that we do not notice the evil work and influence of all these other antichrists, who do the same things and have the same destructive influence in the church. Rev. Ronald Hanko

What definition of Anti Christ are we using here? What sayest the scriptures in regards to what an antichrist exactly is?

That's a lot of names and an impressive list to be sure...but what evidence is cited? I'm not trying to be argumentive. I'm still in the process of recallibrating my eschatology! :)

Yes, it's an impressive enough a list that the doctrine must not be dismissed out of hand without devoting ourselves to as much study of it as these men. I suggest beginning with "Whether It Can Be Proven the Pope of Rome Is the Antichrist" from Francis Turretin's 7th Disputation on the Antichrist. Be a good Berean and test his exegesis from Scripture. As far as I know, Turretin has never been answered. It is the best work on the subject that I have read. Secondarily, you should also read J. A. Wylie's excellent The Papacy is the Antichrist. For a couple modern treatments online, you can read Bennett and Paisley here:

http://www.bereanbeacon.org/articles/antichrist_unveiled.htm

http://www.ianpaisley.org/antichrist.asp

I fond it frustrating this morning to hear the TODAY show report that ...'CHRISTIANS everywhere are anxiously awaiting news regarding the Pope's health.' Is it possible they don't know he doesn't represent (ALL) Christians?

:amen:

I honestly don't know if there are any Martin Luthers around today (believers in the RCC). They would have to be very uncomfortable "worshipping" in a place like that! It's possible, but definately not the norm In my humble opinion.

Originally posted by doulosChristou

That's definitely the exact references I've been looking for for months! Thank you very very much doulosChristou!

My VERY first time to identify all old age leaders who declared that the Pope(s) is the Anti-Christ. I could tell you that these refereces will only appear in the fundamentalistic churches in Hong Kong. Only the fundamentals, or the "fundies" as the liberals usually label, still think Catholicism is a heresy. More and more evangelical churches are either accepting the Catholic church, even cooperating with them, or being more and more theologically friendly to Catholicism. There are still a number of evangelical churches know that Catholicism got many problems, but not many. There are absolutely very very few evangelical churches in Hong Kong know of those old age leaders and their declarations. The identification of the Pope with Anti-Christ is basically viewed as a BIG JOKE in most Hong Kong churches.

Brothers in the west, please pray for Hong Kong churches.

Hey VirginiaHuguenot, don't sir me, coz I'm just a kid, much younger than you. I guess you are nearly 40, correct?

Three clerics were asked the following question:

When you are in your casket, and friends and family and are mourning over you, what would you most like to hear them say?

Episcopal Priest: "I would like to hear them say that I was a wonderful husband, a fine spiritual leader, and a great family man."

Catholic Priest: "I would like to hear them say that I was an excellent teacher and a servant of God who made a huge difference in peoples' lives."

Rabbi: "I would like to hear them say, 'Look, he's moving.'"

Did everyone miss my question? :D

What definition of Anti Christ are we using here? What sayest the scriptures in regards to what an antichrist exactly is?

I just thought of something I had never realized before. Let us assume that the Pope will try to establish a religious UN. People--mainly hyper-Dispensationalists--often harp on this saying, "One world bank, one world government, one world army, one world religion." Of course, the reference they have in mind is some form of the Tower of Babel. however, they draw precisely the opposite conclusion from what the text says. They think that a singular, antichristiian movement will arise that most Christians will be helpless to stop. However, God made it clear that he will destroy/frustrate any attempt like this. Just some thoughts...

Hey VirginiaHuguenot, don't sir me, coz I'm just a kid, much younger than you. I guess you are nearly 40, correct?

:lol: Sorry, I didn't realize you were a young un'! I'm starting to feel old here...

Thank you for the encouragement to pray for our brethren in Hong Kong. Will do!

Originally posted by The Lamb
Did everyone miss my question? :D

2 Thess. 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; 4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

The Pope claims to be Head of the Church, and assumes for himself divine attributes. He sits in the house of God (which he has turned into Babylon) but exalts himself against God. Antichrist is not merely an unbeliever who does these things. He is the leader of apostate Christianity. And here I speak not just of one man but of the office of the Papacy. For generations and centuries the Head of Rome has claimed all authority over matters spiritual and temporal on earth and as the Westminster Confession says, he is that man of sin, that man of perdition, spoken of in the Scriptures.

There are other Scriptural passages that speak of Antichrist. Some of them are addressed here:

Ian Paisley defines AntiChrist

Thank you Andrew:

I have read Ian and Chick before.

I am just wondering if there is one antichrist, or many as John exclaims.

The Church has been apostate forever.

It did not take long at all

[Edited on 4-1-2005 by The Lamb]

Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back