The roman catholic crucifix and and the simple Protestant cross

Status
Not open for further replies.
We must throw away the images of the devil!

Had an interesting conversation recently when I had the local liberal United Methodist pastor and his family over at the manse for dinner he was genuinely worried/shocked that I had no crosses (stylized or otherwise) and no pictures of Jesus and/or religious symbols in my home.

I told Keith in an earlier message that I think he made a very good point. And said I have no problem with the simple wooden cross. However it is all the other paraphernalia of the Romanists that I have a problem with.

I have given this some further thought and wish to share those thoughts with you and others here on the PB. Ben I also have no stylized crosses and definitely no crucifix and no pictures of Jesus and/or religious symbols in my home. I discarded all those paraphernalia of the Romanists since I became a Protestant.

I do however display the Bibles I have openly on my Bookshelf in my living room. Next to the Bibles I do have a simple little Protestant cross.

Having been a Roman catholic and now a convert to the Reformed faith and Protestantism I am very leery of any images that would take away or destroy the simple message of salvation which Christ gave to all who place their faith in Him alone.

As a catholic I was presented with many images. the crucified and dead Christ on the cross was and is still the center of attention in every Roman catholic church. Also in many of these churches are statues of the Blessed Mother and other saints. Vatican II made an emphasis to remove much of these superfluous and false images of the church. However in recent years and especially since the election of Joseph Ratzinger as their pope the reforms of Vatican II are slowly being put aside and these images are being returned to the churches along now with the Latin mass.

As a person who was once a Roman catholic and has experienced a conversion to the truth of the Gospel and is now a Protestant I am fearful of such images and what I believe is the inspiration of the devil himself to distort and destroy Christ’s simple message of salvation which is " Christ died once for us". The simple wooden Protestant cross I think demonstrates that message; the crucifix of the Romanists and the papist church emphasizes the dead and suffering Christ where the sacrifice continues and the victory of Christ over death for all is misconstrued and distorted to bring doubt and loss of faith and hope of salvation to so many.

It is the subliminal and unconscious message that is conveyed by Satan to destroy the true message of salvation. Satan would like to have two images of Christ before us constantly. The infant babe, being looked after by His mother and the dead Christ on the cross, as this shows Satan’s temporary victory. However, Christ is neither of these. Christ was raised victoriously from the dead. He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords. He is very much alive and by His death on the cross He destroyed Satan.

The simple wooden Protestant cross does to me demonstrate the true message of salvation.

However the other images of the Romanists must be avoided or we too will fall into the same trap the Romanists live in.

1 Corinthians 10:21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils:
ye cannot be partakers of the Lord’s table, and of the table of devils.

We must throw away the images of the devil which are so many of the false images presented to all in the Roman catholic church.

We are Protestants and we must convey to the world and proclaim the truth of the Gospel, we must never join with the false message of the Romanists which is given by wearing or showing the images that destroy the true message of salvation.

I will never forget I am now a Protestant and as a Protestant I will protest against any message or image that will attempt to destroy the message of salvation and as a Protestant I will stand firm for the truth.

A friend once gave me a rather large beautiful wrought iron cross and I put it on my wall. Before so long others followed that by giving me crosses as gifts, all kind, all colors until my wall is covered with beautiful crosses. I have had many discussions about them as I have so strongly objected to drawings of Christ as being a breach of the second commandment. At times I think I should remove all the crosses from my wall. I do not worship them and they are reminders of His sacrifice for me. In truth I would prefer the old rugged cross instead of the beautifully crafted crosses on my wall.

A friend once gave me a rather large beautiful wrought iron cross and I put it on my wall. Before so long others followed that by giving me crosses as gifts, all kind, all colors until my wall is covered with beautiful crosses. I have had many discussions about them as I have so strongly objected to drawings of Christ as being a breach of the second commandment. At times I think I should remove all the crosses from my wall. I do not worship them and they are reminders of His sacrifice for me. In truth I would prefer the old rugged cross instead of the beautifully crafted crosses on my wall.

Cristiana, you need not nor do I believe should you remove the crosses form your wall. As you say "I do not worship them and they are reminders of His sacrifice for me". There is no problem with that and having a collection of crosses that you cherish because of the friendship they represent with different people who gave you the crosses. They should remain part of who you are as a person and I think part of your home.

As long as they are reminders of Christ’s redemption for you and all they are fine…I have no problem with the simple cross of salvation.

Heb. 9: 12 Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption.

Oh, and speaking of United Methodists, Pastor Lance, I can't forget William Willimon. I love THAT guy! And HE'S not a lesbian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back