The Simpsons & Rapture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo Christo

Puritan Board Freshman
For what it's worth, the new Simpsons episode airing right now is spinning off the "Left Behind" series.

*yawn*

[Edited on 5-9-2005 by Solo Christo]

So what happened ? My dispensational might-be-new girlfriend called me and told me it was on, but I was driving.

Homer predicted the end of the world. Everyone believed him. Turned out he was wrong. Everyone held it against him. He then found the missing link in his equation of prediction. He warned of the end again, but no one listened. He was the only one of Springfield to be saved. Upon entering heaven, he looked down on his family sufferring. He talked God into turning back time and delaying the apocolypse due to their pain. Most importantly, he had God turn Moe's bar back the way it was after it had become a sushi house.

If there was any good line in the show, it was this...

Moe, when faced with the need for salvation: "I've done many things that I ain't so proud of--and the things I am proud of are pretty horrible."

The best part in my opinion was when Homer was offered a "Rapture" book for a discounted price titled "1998 the Year od the apocolypse". LOL!

Originally posted by houseparent
The best part in my opinion was when Homer was offered a "Rapture" book for a discounted price titled "1998 the Year od the apocolypse". LOL!

That was hillarious! The bookstore he bought it was the "Gospel For Less". He also bought "Rapture For Dummies". What sparked the whole episode was that Homer went to see the movie "Left Below".

Originally posted by sntijerina
Originally posted by houseparent

That was hillarious! The bookstore he bought it was the "Gospel For Less". He also bought "Rapture For Dummies". What sparked the whole episode was that Homer went to see the movie "Left Below".
i guess they have a right to mock such nonsence:up:

Originally posted by OS_X
So what happened ? My dispensational might-be-new girlfriend called me and told me it was on, but I was driving.
do you mean your might-be dispensational soon to be reformed new girlfriend:banana:

Originally posted by OS_X
Okay, I gotta search the net. Somebody ripped this to digital format on the net somewhere.....

if you find it tell me where you got it please.

Looked for it last night, but no success. *shrug* One of the various Simpsons' fan sites will have it up soon enough.

Originally posted by kevin.carroll
The whole thing was utterly blasphemous...and I had just finished preaching on the 3rd Commandment!

I didn't watch it, but understanding it through people's summary, I would have to agree. Should we be talking about it as if it something humorous?

It's one thing to make fun of Left Behind theology and it's quite another to picture a cartoon character talking to God.
:candle:

Originally posted by poimen
The whole thing was utterly blasphemous...and I had just finished preaching on the 3rd Commandment!

I didn't watch it, but understanding it through people's summary, I would have to agree. Should we be talking about it as if it something humorous?

It's one thing to make fun of Left Behind theology and it's quite another to picture a cartoon character talking to God.

I was somewhat bothered by this. It's a fair point to make.

Originally posted by poimen

And not just talking to God: sitting on a curb, telling God He was wrong; God agrees and changes His plan. It wasn't funny. This last season has been awful. Not only have the stories not been good but they have really been hitting a lot of homosexual themes too. I realise the Simpson's is satire, but can't they go back to bashing on Fox or Enron?

I guess I have a completely different take though I didn't see the episode. The satire is against the church. There is a lot of church bashing in the culture and there always has been. What I don't understand is when we get all indignant and say, "hey, we don't deserve this kind of treatment!" when in fact we do.

I try to hear what God is telling the church through the voice of culture. The church body visible is a joke. Every morning we can watch Don Stewart healing folks and giving them his green prosperity kleenex. A 10 year old video of Robert Tilton telling you he sees you right now and wants to heal you and God wants you to send 1000 dollars in faith. Benny Hinn, Jimmy Swaggert, Paul Crouch, Rexella.

We look with disdain on these false teachers but to the world these are the face of the church. A great bloated whore who still thinks she's pretty, covered in fine clothes and make-up begging, "Please come and be my lover!"

We know we are sinners saved by grace, but the world still hears us saying, "We are going to heaven because we are good people so the world will magnify our sins.

We deserve the ridicule for hiding the glory of God, for losing the true gospel, for failing to be a city on a hill. We are a market driven, man-pleasing corporation with our CEO's making regular appearances on Larry King. We love the bling-bling. We've copied every pattern the world has invented to attract people and once we draw the crowd we have nothing to give them so we just continue our sales pitch.

2 Samuel 16:
7 And Shimei said as he cursed, "œGet out, get out, you man of blood, you worthless man! 8 The Lord has avenged on you all the blood of the house of Saul, in whose place you have reigned, and the Lord has given the kingdom into the hand of your son Absalom. See, your evil is on you, for you are a man of blood."

9 Then Abishai the son of Zeruiah said to the king, "œWhy should this dead dog curse my lord the king? Let me go over and take off his head." 10 But the king said, "œWhat have I to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah? If he is cursing because the Lord has said to him, "˜Curse David,´ who then shall say, "˜Why have you done so?´" 11 And David said to Abishai and to all his servants, "œBehold, my own son seeks my life; how much more now may this Benjaminite! Leave him alone, and let him curse, for the Lord has told him to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back