Theology in Battlestar Galactica

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleksanderpolo

Puritan Board Freshman
Does anyone else watch it recently?

First, it was Baltar's speech that "God loves only those who are perfect. He loves us, because we are perfect, just as we are" (without a Mediator, mind you).

Then, it was Six's speech that "Death make human whole".

So, what are the producers/writers doing with these recent episodes? Are they making fun of Christianity? Or do they really think those are Christian belief?

Personally, I think the producers/writers are closet Calvinist trying to make fun of the popular evangelical culture (Pelagianism etc) :lol:

I love BSG and have never heard nor seen of a Cylon named "Lucifer" and I am certain I would remember if I did.
Yeah, something like that is not easy to forget. Think he might be referring to the old series? Been wanting to watch the New series but hate coming in on the end not knowing what's been going on before. Guess I'll have to wait for it to go into syndication like ST: Voyager. :lol:

Buy the seasons on DVD. I'll watch them again and again. I've never seen such an amazing show on TV in my life. Lost comes close, but not quite as good, well written, and gripping with such amazing special effects as is BSG.

I found shows like BSG (The new series) and House MD to be very interesting in terms of story telling techniques. But even more interesting are their view of religion.

Take House, for example. He is a typical skeptic/atheist. "Everybody lies" is his motto. But what he truly believe, are: "everybody lies, except myself", "All other people have reason to lie, except me, who is perfectly neutral and objective" "I deal with facts only. And with reasoning and medicine I can solve any problem".

BSG, in one sense, is more skeptical and critical towards science and technology (after all, it's science and technology that leads to cylon) and more sympathetic towards religion. But it's increasingly clear that the religion in the show (as well as the religious messages in Batman, Spiderman, Ironman etc) is just one that men saves themselves by their own strength without the need of a Substitute. I guess this is the farthest one can go with natural revelation ... :detective:

I KNEW I say those Cylons reading Pearl of Great Price, they LOVED their Lorenzo Snow! Silly Cylons!:barfy::barfy::barfy:

Lucifer was Baltar's sidekick Cylon on the original series. Yes, Etexas, those silly Cylons were reading pearl of some kind of price. I like the series, part ST:Voyager, part soap opera, and the other parts get my polemetical dandruff in an uproar and it turns into a Rocky Horror Picture show experience!! But its great! How will the season end? Who's number 12 (hint, hint etexas for a poll :cheers2:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back