Thomas Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Shahan

Puritan Board Sophomore
Wow!!!! I can't say that enough about, "The Crook in the lot". This book has been very helpful to me. It is opening up blind eyes, so that I can see. The Lord is using this book to bring comfort to my soul. I liked this paragraph,(pg31)

The truth is, the crook in the lot is the great engine of Providence for making men appear in their true colours, discovering both their ill and their good. And if the grace of God is in them, it will bring it out, and cause it to display itself. It so puts the Christian to his shifts, that however it makes him stagger for awhile, yet it will at length evidence both the reality and the strength of grace in him. "You are in heaviness through manifold temptations, that the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perishes, may be found unto praise. " The crook in the lot gives rise to many acts of faith, hope, love, self-denial, resignation, and other graces; to many heavenly breathings, partings, and groanings, which otherwise would not be brought forth. And I make no question but these things, however by carnal men despised as trifling, are more precious in the sight of God than even believers themselves are aware of, being acts of immediate internal worship;

Glad to hear it, Scott. It's encouraging to see how the work of a faithful minister like that continues to be fruitful generation after generation.

Scott,
This book has been one of my favorites for a while now. Its one of those books that I'll reread (hopefully) many times before I go home. Boston is top notch here and in such a short book!
Horatius Bonar's book the "Everlasting Righteousness" is another of those "must read many times" type of books. As well as John Colquhoun's A Treatise on the law and the Gospel".
Jim

Scott,
This book has been one of my favorites for a while now. Its one of those books that I'll reread (hopefully) many times before I go home. Boston is top notch here and in such a short book!
Horatius Bonar's book the "Everlasting Righteousness" is another of those "must read many times" type of books. As well as John Colquhoun's A Treatise on the law and the Gospel".
Jim

Ive never read any Boston before now, this book was recommended to me....this guy is really good, he speaks to me Big Time! I think i have a new favorite puritan. What are some other books has he written? :book2:

I like Boston's writting style. He seems to me to be easier to read then Owen or Baxter. Andrew can we download those books? That Matthew Poole quote is sooooooooo convicting... I like it. we need a smilies that reflects someone being "convicted". maybe this one works.. :eek: or this one :(

I like Boston's writting style. He seems to me to be easier to read then Owen or Baxter. Andrew can we download those books? That Matthew Poole quote is sooooooooo convicting... I like it. we need a smilies that reflects someone being "convicted". maybe this one works.. :eek: or this one :(

Yes, most of them are downloadable -- enjoy! :boston:

That Poole quote comes from his "last sayings," and yes, it is powerful.
pilgrim72-albums-pics-picture65-poole.png

Scott,
I've read Boston's "Human Nature in its Fourfold State a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it. I also recently finished his Covenant Theology. That was good as well.
Have you ever read Thomas Watson?, Or Horatius Bonar?
Jim

Our church's men's fellowship, which meets once per month, is now going through Boston's Fourfold State. There are few subjects connected with his topic that Boston has not thought about deeply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back