So, we have had an interest in fostering, and we want to look more into it. One issue comes to mind though - what do we do about bringing an ungodly child into our home and the influence he will have on our 6 month old who we are raising in the fear of the Lord? If the family is in essence a small church, how do we reconcile having one who is doing evil things in our home knowing we can't discipline him or her? I'm not worried about it for our sake, but for our son's sake. Bad company corrupts good morals. If our son sees him or her acting in wicked ways, he might be tempted to join in, wouldn't you think? I don't want him to be exposed to such things if I can help it, but I want to care for orphans as well. Any thoughts to help clarify this for me would be great. Thanks!
Hi Ryan,
We've fostered since 2011 (which has nothing to do with our last name-- thought I'd beat people to the pun!).
Fostering while having young children can be difficult. We made the rule for ourselves that we would not consider anyone older than our oldest child. That has been a good rule of thumb.
Children come from all backgrounds, many of which will be disclosed prior to you making any commitment. Some of these backgrounds pose a greater risk to other children, sexual abuse being at the top of the list. Neglect has serious consequences for the child, but may not pose the same kind of risk to your other children.
Age is another huge factor. A child that has been in a bad environment for years is going to be much more difficult than an infant removed from a home. On the flip side, a child that is older will have an easier time in the future sorting out their past because what they experienced can be, in part, expressed through language. In contrast, when an infant was subjected to abuse (etc.), they will grow up not remembering what happened and in turn won't be able to process their past as easily (often such behavior manifests itself in completely inexplicable impulses). I can explain this more in private if you wish, as examples that come to mind are very personal.
Also, a word about discipline. You made the comment that "we can't discipline him or her..." This is not completely true. Discipline is encouraged in the foster system. However, because of the situations many of these children come out of, spanking is
not a good option. Many of these kids have seen domestic abuse or have been abused. Your own child can tell the difference. Many children in foster care
cannot.
Discipline, like the commandments, is a two-edged sword. There is both negative and positive discipline. Negative discipline is designed to stop a behavior. Positive is designed to teach the correct behavior. Too often we speak about discipline only in the negative. Like God's law, the bad behavior ("you shall not..." needs to be replaced by good behavior ("you shall"). So these children must be disciplined, but the discipline may look different than some of the methods you would use with your biological child.
I think fostering is a wonderful opportunity. We have adopted two beautiful little girls through foster care. Before fostering I thought that I could never love someone else's child as my own. I was
very, very wrong!