Tim Keller on "The Shack"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a good review, although I would mildly disagree with some of his positive assertions about the book (for example, Young is very much putting forth a "judging God" view in the book). But Keller is very gracious (as always), and the review is bound to make a better impact than a bomb thrower would.

The Shack is more indicative of modern evangelical misunderstandings about who God is. In other words, it is merely a reflection of what many think about God and how they put their own misunderstandings in place of biblical revelation. How much is the modern church to blame for this (for example, not working through a theology of grief and lament from Scripture, trusting in secular psychology to solve woes, a gross unfamiliarity with the complex God of Scripture -- as Keller points to -- etc.)?
 
Awesome review! He put into eloquent words exactly what I have been trying to say for months but simply don't have the skill. The review reminded me of why he is Tim Keller and I am just me.
 
I personally think The Shack violates the 2nd commandment, as it encourages people to perceive God as something/someone He is not.
 
Also, this isn't really a formal "review" but just his impressions of the book. I actually found it really helpful - I knew that I had issues with the Shack, but it was hard for me to articulate them. His write up helped clarify my thoughts on the book.
 
I personally think The Shack violates the 2nd commandment, as it encourages people to perceive God as something/someone He is not.

I do agree with this indeed but also find it refreshing, as Tim says, not to be a bomb thrower which I often am
 
I got depressed reading the comments on the Blog. How quickly we forget that God is also Holy, Holy, Holy.
I don't know why so many people assume that you cannot have a close personal relationship with the creator, if you have a healthy, fear, respect, reverence and awe of him.
 
Good points by Dr. Keller. But WOW would you look at those comments. This one by "Susie" really takes the cake:

Lastly, I have read the Bible, don’t you think that after Jesus’ death we should just make the Old Testament an nice story but unapplicable?
 
I concur with Austin. Some of those comments seriously made me angry. I really didn't expect those types of characters to be on The Gospel Coalition's website, although perhaps they were brought there by a search engine or something.
 
I concur with Austin. Some of those comments seriously made me angry. I really didn't expect those types of characters to be on The Gospel Coalition's website, although perhaps they were brought there by a search engine or something.

It always amazes me that in arguments like the one going on in the comments, it's always the people arguing that God is not wrathful, only loving, who are the most vicious attackers, and yet they claim their opponents are self-righteous and cruel. The "It's all about love" people are absolutely spewing hatred in those comments. :um:
 
It always amazes me that in arguments like the one going on in the comments, it's always the people arguing that God is not wrathful, only loving, who are the most vicious attackers, and yet they claim their opponents are self-righteous and cruel. The "It's all about love" people are absolutely spewing hatred in those comments. :um:

True. The surprise for them will be that this God who has "totally unconditional love for every person" will cast more people into hell than he will embrace in heaven.

Matthew 7: 13, 14
“Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."
 
The fact that there are such comments, especially the ones that aren't simply attacks, is a good sign. I hope I develop a habit of writing that draws those who disagree with me into conversation with me and into my circle of influence.
 
In Defense of "Bomb-Throwing"...

A precision missile is always preferable than a treatment that heals "the hurt of my people slightly." Heretics are best left expired under a pile of well-placed rocks (so to speak). Kudos to the man who deals the lethal blow.

The Shack is heresy and needs to be treated as such.
 
I remember being practically speechless as a Christian woman I know was singing the praises of that book. I thought she was joking at first.

"I'd like to see a review from John Knox on The Shack."

LOL. So would I!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top