Tithing debate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jairus

Puritan Board Freshman
Ok I know this has been talked about in the past a lot and perhaps this question came up and was answered. If so I apologize in advance.

My question is this; has there been any formal debates on the issue of tithing today? There are many books that seem to deal in a monologue of the topic, but where are the debates?

Yes the board has some discussions on the issue, but clearly not in the form of an official debate between respected leaders of our day.

That being said, perhaps there are debates out there that I know not of which leads me to my second question; Where can I find them?

Thanks!!!!
 
There have probably been few debates between prominent leaders because ultimately, both positions should end up with the same result - a lot more giving than is common now. Few pastors on either side would argue that the current state of giving in the church is acceptable. So with that in mind, there are bigger fish to fry. That's my theory as to why there aren't lots of debates on the subject, as there are on other subjects.
 
Austin, you may be on to something! That point being conceded, I also see a possible problem in not debating the topic, that being confusion of the topic and for some, a kind of, "I give up" mentality resulting in doing nothing. Of coarse clearing up the subject in one's mind by no means guarantee's any change in the givers heart.
I guess I just find it interesting yet I find your bottom line answer to be as you said, more important.
 
Right, I'm certainly not saying there is no necessity to get to the bottom of the issue, especially since it is related to whether or not we are commanded to do something. But ultimately, most prominent Reformed leaders will prefer to address other issues, since those who do and do not believe in a 10% requirement in the NT should still agree that the present state of giving in the church is deplorable and generous giving needs to be encouraged.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top