How much should a family tithe?
Is $10.00 per week a good example of a tithe?
Hmmm...
Is the tithe part of the moral law, ceremonial law, or civil law when given in Israel?
-----Added 11/16/2009 at 07:18:25 EST-----
I'm just wondering what is normal for an average middle class income, that is all.
Somewhere in there I mentioned that I don't believe the bible teaches that Christians must give 10% which is correct. However, yes, I believe that we should give what we can. I usually don't give very much, and should probably give more. Maybe I'm just cheap.
The needs of the church are fairly fixed, but the ability of the church to minister is tied to what the people give.
I can speak only to what I see as a deacon, but if everyone in the church gave only $10, there would not be enough to provide the pastor of our church with the median salary of those in the congregation (which I consider a reasonable salary ... he should neither be poor or rich compared to the congregation).
The deacons fund what they do out of offerings that are given above the "standard" support of the church. If your church is reasonable, you should be able to tell where all the money is spent. I am presently going through preparing the yearly report to the congregation for our yearly congregational meeting. At that meeting, we will also be presented with the budget for the prior year, and the coming year. It is fairly easy from that, and the number of families in the church (also reported) to figure what the average need is for the budget (the deacons' fund is separate). I will report on what we dispersed, and what ministries we supported (while I do not reveal the names of those within the church that we help, I do state what we have done).
With about 100 people in the congregation each week, and a budget that is well over $150,000 per year (and we have no mortgage) it is obvious that we need on average more than $30 from each person per week. That is per person, as when I said "100 people" I include even children. There are those that have given more than a 10th, those that give less.
When we (the deacons) collect the offerings each week, we pray that God would use them, not as all of what we give, but as a token of our giving ourselves, and that we desire that all of what we have and all of our lives are an offering to Christ, who died for us, out of our gratitude. If you know you have little, then little is asked of you. If you have been given much, much will be asked of you (not by us, but by God).
So if you want to know if what you are giving is "okay" then it is okay if you are giving what you ought to give, by God's grace in your life, and you see all that you have and are as at God's disposal, and that you are sensitive to the work your church is doing, the needs of others, what your church might need for ministry.
Look at what you spend. I dare say that $10/week is probably less than what many people spend on going out for lunch every day (you can easily spend $10 on a single meal out for one person around here). Is that what you think your church is worth?