To All Getting The New Geneva Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueridge Believer

Puritan Board Professor
Whoever is first to recieve thiers please post and let us know how you feel about things like, paper quality, fit and finish, quality of leather and any other things that might be helpfull. I know that some are supposed to be shipped this week. Give us a heads up when you get yours!

I have one of those from about 10 years ago.

I would say as far as quality goes that it is 'average' for a Bible in its price range.

Someone in my church as the Reformation Study Bible (the ESV version--I know, you dont like it :pilgrim: ) and it is very close in quality to the New Geneva Study Bible I have had for 10 years.

The thing I hate about it though is that the NKJV text it uses is in paragraph format and spans the entire page making for long lines to read. The ESV one has the text in two columns making it much easier to read. Perhaps the newer versions of The Reformation Study Bible have the NKJV in two columns now? One can only hope.

Oh and yes...I wrote Ligonier a while back asking if they were going to be doing a KJV of this study Bible (when I was still in the Traditional Text camp) and they said they are indeed looking at producing a version based upon the KJV.

I don't tend to use study Bibles but if I did, this is the one I would use.

I have one of those from about 10 years ago.

I would say as far as quality goes that it is 'average' for a Bible in its price range.

Someone in my church as the Reformation Study Bible (the ESV version--I know, you dont like it :pilgrim: ) and it is very close in quality to the New Geneva Study Bible I have had for 10 years.

The thing I hate about it though is that the NKJV text it uses is in paragraph format and spans the entire page making for long lines to read. The ESV one has the text in two columns making it much easier to read. Perhaps the newer versions of The Reformation Study Bible have the NKJV in two columns now? One can only hope.

Oh and yes...I wrote Ligonier a while back asking if they were going to be doing a KJV of this study Bible (when I was still in the Traditional Text camp) and they said they are indeed looking at producing a version based upon the KJV.

I don't tend to use study Bibles but if I did, this is the one I would use.

I'm sorry brother. I'm talking about the new 1599 Geveva update Bible from American vision via tollege press. I already had on of the NKJV Reformation study bibles and know it was of moderate quality.

Oh! Oops! :banghead:

I'd be interested in knowing the answer to your question as well because I am going to be getting one off those too.

The PDF samples available on the Internet look great. The text appears to be very readable and the format excellent.

I emailed them last week. I should be getting mine early next week according to them. I like my Reformation ESV Study bible, but I wish the Margins where wider. I also have a Spirit of Reformation Study Bible that I like for the notes and the creeds, but it is NIV, which I don't like as much as NKJV and ESV. The print on it is very small, even smaller than the Reformation Study Bible.

Concerning the quality of the leather, I have no idea, but I don't think you can beat this:

http://www.leviticus11.com/1599gb.htm

It's just the Old Facsimile version as far as the print is concerned.

I'm sorry brother. I'm talking about the new 1599 Geveva update Bible from American vision via tollege press. I already had on of the NKJV Reformation study bibles and know it was of moderate quality.

I emailed them last week. I should be getting mine early next week according to them. I like my Reformation ESV Study bible, but I wish the Margins where wider. I also have a Spirit of Reformation Study Bible that I like for the notes and the creeds, but it is NIV, which I don't like as much as NKJV and ESV. The print on it is very small, even smaller than the Reformation Study Bible.

Concerning the quality of the leather, I have no idea, but I don't think you can beat this:

http://www.leviticus11.com/1599gb.htm

It's just the Old Facsimile version as far as the print is concerned.

I have one of these in the hard back version. Thick paper, big and heavy.

New Update

Hi:

The hardcover and leather editions have been sold out. A second printing will be made and should be mailed out in January. There are still some limited edition calfskin copies available.

G&P

-CH

Same here

I emailed them and was told they would be in the Fulfillment houses last week and that Tollege Press would receive them last Monday. From there it would be within a 2 week period that everyone should receive them, so by the 1st week of December.

NOT A GOOD Turn around time from Late August Early September !

I think I'll die before I get mine. Ordered it back in September.

Same here

I emailed them and was told they would be in the Fulfillment houses last week and that Tollege Press would receive them last Monday. From there it would be within a 2 week period that everyone should receive them, so by the 1st week of December.

NOT A GOOD Turn around time from Late August Early September !

Living in the Far East has sanctified me with respect to patience. Sometimes things take a month and a half to two months to arrive here so I'm not expecting mine until January.

Got my leather edition in the mail today. I am impressed for the money spent. I read some in Psalms at lunch today. Also has two searchable cd-roms with it. I am looking forward to reading this Bible through beginning tonight!!!!!!!!!
:up: :up: :up: :up:

Got my leather edition in the mail today. I am impressed for the money spent. I read some in Psalms at lunch today. Also has two searchable cd-roms with it. I am looking forward to reading this Bible through beginning tonight!!!!!!!!!
:up: :up: :up: :up:

I await mine............Looking forward to it though.

AV, are you giving up your AV? The Geneva update reads very nicely, the modern English is a comfort, but I'm still going to hold on on buying this one. I have 28 Bibles/Study Bibles, most of them leather...it's just greed if I buy another.

Here is what they sent me last Tuesday...
Dear Mr. Snyder

We sincerely apologize for the delay in delivery of the 1599 Geneva Bibles. The bibles are expected to arrive in our warehouse this afternoon. We will start processing orders immediately and begin shipping them as quickly as possible. Keep in mind that this is a holiday week. We hope to have all orders in the mail by the first of next week.

We have not shipped any bibles to any customers at this time. We have honored an agreement with Vision Forum and they have received the first shipment of Bibles, therefore some of their customers may have already received a copy of the 1599 Geneva Bible. We assure you that yours will be on its way shortly.

Thank you for your patience.
Linda, Customer Service

Still waiting and will make it my primary bible for reading until I have read it through a few times.

I finally got mine today. I am so excited. Woo Hoo. :banana:

P.S. Here is my 3000th post. I must now have a life or way to much time on my hands.

Last edited:
I read 15 chapters in Gen. and 8 in John last night. Can barely tell the difference form me ol' King James.

I just got mine today - it looks marvelous.

As to your comment, it should sound like the King James.... much of the King James is taken word for word from the Geneva if I'm not mistaken.

I'm thrilled to have this - anyone on board who is involved in this project, kudos and thanks to you!

The only (small) complaint I have is that the metrical psalms arent' in the printed version. Sure, we have them on the CD, but it would have been nice for them to be included. A larger complaint is that the pre-book arguments are not included. I wonder why they didn't include them? Some of the summaries in those book arguments are very nice, and serve as good reminders of the major themes in the relevant book.

Todd

Mine too.

Now my wife and I have matching bibles that we can't tell apart.

They are really excellent. I love reading it out loud. I just went through Genesis 1, Psalm 27, John 3 and Romans 4 with her. Very nice!

Got mine on Monday. I'd ordered it back in early August but figured their original September date was 'way too early.

It's a great Bible. I only wish the print were a teeny bit larger as my eyes are not as sharp as they used to be. Nonetheless I find it quite readable.

Who is it who said they got TWO CDs? I only got one.

Kevin Guillory
Baltimore, MD
ERPC

Got mine on Monday. I'd ordered it back in early August but figured their original September date was 'way too early.

It's a great Bible. I only wish the print were a teeny bit larger as my eyes are not as sharp as they used to be. Nonetheless I find it quite readable.

Who is it who said they got TWO CDs? I only got one.

Kevin Guillory
Baltimore, MD
ERPC

I got only one also... but I wonder if the person who said this (I've forgotten who it was) ordered from American Vision? I would have done that, had I seen their advertisment before I ordered directly from Tolle Lege. The second CD American Vision offered is a 13-volume history of the English Bible.

Geneva Bible

Hi:

Mine showed up on Saturday, Dec. 2. I really like it. I only wish they had included the Apo****ha and the Metrical Psalms in the text. Both, though, are on the disk provided.

I would also like to see them print an inexpensive pew Bible so I can purchase and donate them to my church.

G&P,

-CH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back