Transforming Culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddpedlar

Iron Dramatist
I just got wind of a friend in the PCA who's going to this conference. It seems to be a "Redeemer-esque" conference on "arts" for whatever that's worth. Anyone know anything about it?
 
It is a conference right? It is not taking the place of worship. Therefore, topics for conferences, I would think, could vary wider than topics for Sunday worship. Arts and culture, therefore, could be a very worthwhile topic - if done well and with the right people.
 
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHAT DOES THIS SYMPOSIUM ENVISION FOR THE CHURCH?

1. A corporate worship that is theologically informed, biblically grounded, liturgically sensitive, artistically alive and aesthetically rich, rich because of its recognition that beauty, the senses, our imaginations and emotions as well as the arts matter greatly in our worship and knowledge of God who himself created these facets of our humanity and called them good
[/FONT]

Our imaginations? Eek.

Sounds like a very confessional view to me. Does that description not perfectly describe the Psalms?
 
Our imaginations? Eek.

Sounds like a very confessional view to me. Does that description not perfectly describe the Psalms?
Using our imaginations in worship? Nahh...not unless the Holy Spirit has inspired us to write Holy Scripture. And He hasn't. :D

I think we probably agree, but singing lines such as "as the deer panteth for the water" and "as I walk through the valley of the shadow of death" bring certain images to mind. If that's what they mean by imagination, then I would agree with them in terms of a worship service.
 
Joshua:

I just saw a very well produced DVD on TULIP and the doctrines of Grace. How did it get so well produced? It was'nt filmed in a garage, but was done pretty artistically with good visuals, music, etc. The makers had some imagination, or else it would easily have been a boring film,.
 
Joshinator!

Nope, not at all... I am prone to flights of fancy so I was reacting against your words about imagination. I like my Dr. Seuss and my good fantasy movie ever so often.

We all use imagination in worship in making bible illustrations....



But, I know whatcher getting at and give a hearty shout out and amen to what I think you are saying but not actually saying which is WHOA NELLY and WATCH OUT when it comes to certain areas of life such as movies, art, etc.

I know you're not dissing art per se, but only its abuses. It is wise to urge caution.
 
I can tell you it is not a Reformed conference. For the main speakers you have a Roman Catholic woman (wife of Dr. Nicolosi, who has done work in the area of reparative therapy for homosexuals), a man from Calvin Seminary, another man, who is unfamilar to me, and Eugene Petersen, (some of his material is good) who is a PCUSA minister. Eugene Petersen is obviously following this new trend of "worship." I see PCA churches now hiring directors of art, which is a politically correct title for contemporary worship director. This raises a red flag for me because this new form of "worship" wants to add art and media as elements of worship. Brothers, the preached word is still the means that God has ordained for the conversion of sinners and the edification of the saints. We are called to appeal to man's conscience not his sight. Leave art and entertainment for those venues outside of worship. I will not be going to this conference.
 
Stephen. Yikes --- art is fine, but for worship you are right. Media can be used to illuminate the Word preached (i.e. powerpoint displaying the verses overhead) but shouldn't detract from the Word preached.
 
No thanks. Although I think that Christians as individuals ought to tap in on their artistic talents to the glory of God, etc., I reject that the Church ought to be competing with Hollywood, the Rolling Stones, or Television Commercials. Art as a "heart-transforming power?" Hogwash. It reminds me of the former Church that I went to saying that Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ was the, and I quote, "Greatest evangelistic tool of our era." :barfy:

Give me the Gospel. It's the most (and ultimately only) relevant and heart-transforming power. soli Deo gloria.

The major problem with competing with Hollywood is that they are professionals and we are amateurs and even the untrained eye will pick that up quickly.

We would be wise to focus upon what we are good at and that is giving the words of life to sinners.
 
Our imaginations? Eek.

Sounds like a very confessional view to me. Does that description not perfectly describe the Psalms?
Using our imaginations in worship? Nahh...not unless the Holy Spirit has inspired us to write Holy Scripture. And He hasn't. :D

If I may make some suggestions,

While I think that it is wholly wrong to add to corporate worship on the Sabbath day injections of our own whimsical fancies and fallen futile conjurings, I think it is incorrect to assert that in no way is the imagination meant to be excluded from worship.

With Man's peculiar and altogether exceptional place in creation, we are afforded diminished yet totally reflective attributes of our divine Creator, being that we are fashioned in the imago dei. As the lesser moon reflects the radience of the Sun in a diminished capacity, so too do we reflect the creative ability of our Creator. Whether or not that creative ability is enslaved to sin or enslaved to the Master is a matter of providential planning and grace, but nonetheless, it is present.

Surely when Adam was created, and indeed as mankind is created, we are meant to worship and glorify God in all that we do. It is aknowledged that even the damned heathen glorifies God in his punishment, but the inverse must also be true; that the glorified saint glorifies God in his utter worship of Him in all that he does. Certainly that must transfer to the creative and imaginative ability that our Sovereign has conveyed upon us. The Christian painter is gifted with exception ability, a gift given form God, and surely what he creates attests to the glory of God's greatness and beauty. Though the painting pales in comparison with the majesty of Creation, it is still a reflection of God's divine stamp upon mankind, and especially His beloved saints. When the Christian paints, draws, or composes to God's glory, I assert that he is worshipping in no less a fashion than if he were prostrate before the Lord.

As Bach used to sign, SDG. :sing:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top