Using your hands in worship

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should have probably made a new thread...

They can be a product of the environment or externals (dramatical music, soft lights, a sad story) but they can also stem from truth that is highly valued. Some of these are better than others (as Fred said earlier, emotions are not necessarily good or bad).

All of this does not mean that emotions are a PART of worship, but I see them as a result.

Jeremiah Burroughs defined worship as "thoughts about God."

Worship In my humble opinion is focusing the communicable attributes of God on him.

Question 7: What is God?
Answer: God is a Spirit, in and of himself infinite in being, glory, blessedness, and perfection; all-sufficient, eternal, unchangeable, incomprehensible, everywhere present, almighty, knowing all things, most wise, most holy, most just, most merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth.

The ones in bold are communicable. Some think that this defines the image of God in man. It seems to me that when God seeks those who worship him in Spirit and truth, this is what he means. See Watson above.

Since God doesn't have emotions (in and of himself), this is not a communicable attribute. It is not part of the image of God. Thoughts are. God thinks. He reasons. Emotions result from these. WCF Chapter 4:

4:2 After God had made all other creatures, He created man, male and female, with reasonable and immortal souls, endued with knowledge, righteousness, and true holiness, after His own image...

Some may seem my definition of "emotion" as emotionalism. If we want to dispute terms, that is ok...I don't want to be crossing paths with people. Definitions are tricky, especially with very hard words like "emotion" and "love."

I am open to thoughts.

Our church received a complaint because occasionally there would be clapping. The Worship Committee looked into the biblical principles and decided not to forbid clapping. However, it is not the norm for our congregation to clap; it is more likely that they will say, "Amen" or "Praise the Lord".

Some lift their hands during worship, but the number is few. The pastor himself lifts his hands at times.

In a way it's one thing if the whole congregation is lifting hands, and another thing if only 1 or 2 people are lifting them - then it could be a distraction to others.

I have heard some argue that we must look to the NT only for our order of worship, since the shadow of things in the OT has passed and we are now in the fullness of worship, doing it in Spirit and truth.

The main thing for me is to balance 2 things - You must be very careful not to quench the Spirit, and you must be very careful to keep order.

The main thing for me is to balance 2 things - You must be very careful not to quench the Spirit, and you must be very careful to keep order.

This is an excellent clear concise point.

According to what I have read in this thread, I am led to believe that if people yelled out during a sermon"WHat must I do to be saved?" THe congregation or leadership would look in astonishment because it is not decent and in order!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a terrible state to be in and never recover from.

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel
They can be a product of the environment or externals (dramatical music, soft lights, a sad story) but they can also stem from truth that is highly valued. Some of these are better than others (as Fred said earlier, emotions are not necessarily good or bad).
Thanks for your answer, but I didn't ask what they were excited by, but rather, where do they originate ?

I believe your answer to this question has implications for your theology proper. For instance, things like 'love' and 'fellowship' only have meaning in a trinitarian theological system. God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit enjoyed fellowship with each other perfectly from eternity past. Likewise, the object of their love was each other from eternity past.

So where do emotions come from ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back