Using your hands in worship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Bushey

Puritanboard Commissioner
Psa 63:4 Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.

1Ti 2:8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

Do you lift up your hands during worship?
Do you cry out hearty amens?
Do you clap for the sermon?
Do you clap for things other than the sermon?

[Edited on 6-5-2005 by Scott Bushey]

We all lift a hand to symbolically receive the blessing at the benediction, but that's about the extent of it.

Originally posted by Laura
We all lift a hand to symbolically receive the blessing at the benediction, but that's about the extent of it.

Laura,
The whole congregation does this?

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Originally posted by Laura

Laura,
The whole congregation does this?
Yessir.

There's no clapping at my church. I wish there was. Sometimes it takes every ounce of self-control to resist clapping (and practically shouting) after some of the awesome hymns that our choir does.

I don't know how people can sit there in church and hear some of the glorious rich hymns that practically sound like a chorus of angels from Heaven, that exalt so beautifully our Savior, and then just sit there like a stone when its over with. I can, but its painful to do.

(I think the church doesn't want to take the focus off of our relationship with God during these times, and would STRONGLY prefer that no one give the hint that we were being "entertained" as opposed to "worshipping". I agree with this, and submit to it.)

I go to a CMA church, and there is clapping during the music (I choose not to clap at this time), during the sermon when the pastor asks for an "Amen". People also raise their hands during the times of singing.

-Sometimes

-Yes

-not that I can recall

-sometimes, depends on the stituation (such as if there is rejoicing in the church)

[Edited on 6-5-2005 by matthew11v25]

Gabriel,
Are you involved in clapping prior to the sermon for various reasons?

No sir. But, the Pastor raises his hands towards us for the blessing and benediction at the close of the service.

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
Gabriel,
Are you involved in clapping prior to the sermon for various reasons?

No sir. But, the Pastor raises his hands towards us for the blessing and benediction at the close of the service.

So, you guys are like us. Armless believers! :banana: Part of me believes we are blowing it a tad. We should be lifting our hands in praise and if we clap at all, it should be at the end of the sermon!

I guess it is hard for me to discern how clapping or raising of hands should/could be involved in a worship service.

Some things to consider are the context of raising hands and clapping in the Old Covenant, and whether or not they were ceremonial, which stems from my RPW/EP/Non-instrmental convictions.

Also, I'd have to think long and hard about being able to worship "decently and in order" (1 Cor 14) while some may be clapping or raising their hands during worship, as I and many others might find that distracting.

Finally, if all things in worship are to be done for edification/building up (literally, growing in knowledge and wisdom, which can only come from the Lord Himself), I don't see how clapping or raising hands can accomplish this.

But, it is definitely something to think through and figure out, but finding NC prescriptions for worship in the Psalms can definitely be difficult since it contains expressions and ideas that are neither exclusively OC institutions nor NC institutions (at least not exhaustively).

I guess it is hard for me to discern how clapping or raising of hands should/could be involved in a worship service.

Some things to consider are the context of raising hands and clapping in the Old Covenant, and whether or not they were ceremonial, which stems from my RPW/EP/Non-instrmental convictions.

Also, I'd have to think long and hard about being able to worship "decently and in order" (1 Cor 14) while some may be clapping or raising their hands during worship, as I and many others might find that distracting.

Finally, if all things in worship are to be done for edification/building up (literally, growing in knowledge and wisdom, which can only come from the Lord Himself), I don't see how clapping or raising hands can accomplish this.

But, it is definitely something to think through and figure out, but finding NC prescriptions for worship in the Psalms can definitely be difficult since it contains expressions and ideas that are neither exclusively OC institutions nor NC institutions (at least not exhaustively).

Gabriel,
Let me clearify:
During the singing of Hymms; Lifting one's hands in submission, mercy and joy.
At the end of the sermon; clapping for the word of God and it's power.
During the sermon; hearty amens throughout as the unction directs.

~Not to be confused with a charismatic revival with waving yellow hats and people falling all over the place! :banana:

Interesting thoughts. Let me ruminate on them for a while. Is that the right word? Ruminate? Who cares, it sounds awesome. :bigsmile:

I do not see exactly where clapping is mentioned but I see the part about lifting up hands.

When I was really little and all us children had to do a production one of the old ladies told us something I would never forget. She said she did not like clapping after songs or performances etc... because it was too much like glory was being given to the singer/actor/preacher.

Now I am in a Reformed Church I still think of this. Why would you clap? Clapping means 'congratulations' or 'well done' not 'praise be to God'. I fail to see the point or need of it. There are other things we could do that direct the glory to God rather than to men. Whether we take the clapping as such I wonder if outsiders or people who have not had it explained to them will see it that way. My old mega church would always be clapping and praising the worship band and clapping in honour of the speaker who often only mentioned the Bible once or twice.

Rationaly also... you can't clap during hymns. I know that was not what you mean though.

Originally posted by Abd_Yesua_alMasih
I do not see exactly where clapping is mentioned but I see the part about lifting up hands.

When I was really little and all us children had to do a production one of the old ladies told us something I would never forget. She said she did not like clapping after songs or performances etc... because it was too much like glory was being given to the singer/actor/preacher.

Now I am in a Reformed Church I still think of this. Why would you clap? Clapping means 'congratulations' or 'well done' not 'praise be to God'. I fail to see the point or need of it. There are other things we could do that direct the glory to God rather than to men. Whether we take the clapping as such I wonder if outsiders or people who have not had it explained to them will see it that way. My old mega church would always be clapping and praising the worship band and clapping in honour of the speaker who often only mentioned the Bible once or twice.

Rationaly also... you can't clap during hymns. I know that was not what you mean though.

The only clapping I approve of is after sermons!

When I worship I do as I do in my private. In private I lift my hands, I clap, or sometimes even snap! So if I feel to do so in my closet then why wouldn't I do so in the congregation. However, the church I go to sing the old traditional hymns, so mostly it is lifting of the hands. And no, not every song.

In our service many of our folks raise their hands. Though only during the singing. Most of our people have come out of penecostal backgrounds. They are comfortable using the raised hands to express a multitude of attitudes as they sing. These range from thanksgiving, confession, sorrow, or maybe joy. They never feel restrained in the sevice,nor is the order or decency of the service compromised. It is just the use of a wider range of physical expression than usual, perhapes.

I don't like the idea of clapping in church...unless singing songs accapela...I could see where that would be okay. Otherwise, it would make the congregation more into an audience, spectaters if you will. I am not afraid of people using hearty "amens". But for the most part, anything that distracts from congregational worship seems dangerous to me. It's part of the reason I despise soloists...they're always performing, rarely worshipping. It makes for hypocrites and empty worship. It may also cause some to question "why don't I do these things? Am I not as spiritual?" Some things may be appropriate for the prayer closet, as Loriann has pointed out...but not necessarily fits the context of public worship.

However, planned liturgy is alright as it incorporates believers into worshipful acts. For example, my brother's church has the practice of kneeling during the confession of sin. Everyone who is able to kneels. It's corporate and quite moving.

Psa 63:4 Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.

1Ti 2:8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

[Edited on 6-5-2005 by Scott Bushey]

worship - yes, depending on the song and how well I know it.
amens - yep. A few hallelujahs and praise God's are also included at times.
sermon - sometimes. Mostly if we have a guest.
other things - yes.

Craig made the statement and asked the question:
But for the most part, anything that distracts from congregational worship seems dangerous to me. It's part of the reason I despise soloists...they're always performing, rarely worshipping. It makes for hypocrites and empty worship. It may also cause some to question "why don't I do these things? Am I not as spiritual?"

Clapping doesn't distract from congregational worship.... there are plenty of churches that do it every single Sunday and have been doing it since before the OPC was formed....

The soloist thing, I agree with, for the most part. i said the 'most' part. Some ARE 'performing', but you and I can't see into the hearts of the people singing, so you don't have a right to make that judgment.

As for folks questioning.... a right view of worship will let folks know that not everyone will react outwardly the same during worship. Worship also involves the emotions (like it or not.... I know I just said a 'bad word' in reformed circles.... sue me) - so during the singing of 'In Christ Alone', for example, one may be overcome thinking of the death of our Savior and His preservation of His elect and simply stand or sit or kneel quietly, focused on the Savior and praising Him in their heart for their salvation..... others may have their hands upraised and sing the song to the Lord at the top of their lungs with tears streaming down their face as they contemplate that the God of the Universe - the Holy Judge - stepped down off His bench and took the place of the prisoners who deserved to die... and that I AM one of those prisoners. Both responses are appropriate. When you try to 'overstructure'....you dip into legalism, no matter how much 'order and decency' you try to use to justify it.

Just as a question (related).... how many of you literally tremble every Sunday or whenever you take communion ? How many of you think, as Isaiah did, "I am a man of unclean lips who lives among an unclean people ?" Do you quake as you take the cup and the bread, knowing that you are now in the very presence of the Almighty and that those who partake of this in an unworthy fashion, just like in the OT, are committing a sin worthy of death ?

Worship doesn't involve emotions, it involves the work of God's Spirit in His people's hearts and how they respond to it with reverance.

I get pretty emotional when I think of what Jesus has done for us, which happens pretty often at church. I doubt if I could experience it if everyone was carrying on around me, I'd be too disturbed.

Worship doesn't involve emotions, it involves the work of God's Spirit in His people's hearts and how they respond to it with reverance.

How do you define emotions? Is a response of reverence inherently emotionless? Are the psalms empty of emotion? Is emotion inherently sinful in worship? What do you mean by "worship doesn't involve emotions"? Are we called to be Stoics?

Originally posted by RAS

How do you define emotions? Is a response of reverence inherently emotionless? Are the psalms empty of emotion? Is emotion inherently sinful in worship? What do you mean by "worship doesn't involve emotions"? Are we called to be Stoics?

I was going to say the exact same thing RAS. THis is why the characature of reformed circles gets continued. THere is a definate puritanical, stoic vein that still blocks and resists the spirit in my opinion.

David danced naked for the Lord. Now I am not being dogmatic that this takes place in worship now, but I believe this is where man has added to the word of God in regards to showing any type of emotion.

Gabe says emotions are not part of the service. That is very incorrect. We have emotions, and they do not get turned off.

Where is it prescribed that we must sit, stand, shake on command, and spend the whole service like dead weight staring at the back of the heads of the people in front of us?

WHen the Holy Spirit brings the joy of the Gospel to them, without worrying about what other people think, they will be wild with excitement. And should not be stymied!!!!!

WHen Christ healed the blind man, he was bursting with excitement.

ANd so should we.

IF the Holy Spirit determines to save a person under a service, and that person is moved, I would love to hear them yell it out and praise God.

Gabe do you believe when Christ welcomed the children to Him, that they did nto say a word?

And I will tell you exactly wqhat Christ told the "Non emotional" Apostles. DOnt suffer the people from showing their emotions giving the Glory to God.

Decently and in order has been perverted to mean, armless and robotic!!!!

[Edited on 6-6-2005 by D Battjes]

Originally posted by ABondSlaveofChristJesus
Does clapping and lifting hands mean the same thing in our present culture as it did then? Context Context Context Historical Context....

I do not know what this means.

Was there a different way to clap or raise hands then compared to now?

ANd we must always use the "context" word wqith caution.

IT is true, and I have used it, when we have our presuppositions and have molded the Gospel like a nose of wax into something we can relate to, when we bring God down to our level, when we create a Christ for us, we always say, context context context. WHen somethign disagrees with our Christ.

How many times have you said or heard it said, "Well he did not mean that, or that scripture does not mean that, read it in context!!!!!

I'll step in for Gabe. I don't think that he meant (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the worship SERVICE doesn't involve human emotion, but TRUE worship (the kind God accepts) is not emotion, it is spiritual worship. It is having true thoughts about God, and praising him for everything He is, and has done. Emotions may be a result of worship, but not a part of it. Nowhere in scripture are we commanded to worship with our emotions. When people look for these in worship, they are looking for self-satisfaction vs. God satisfaction.

[Edited on 6-6-2005 by Jeff_Bartel]

Originally posted by D Battjes
Originally posted by ABondSlaveofChristJesus
Does clapping and lifting hands mean the same thing in our present culture as it did then? Context Context Context Historical Context....

I do not know what this means.

Was there a different way to clap or raise hands then compared to now?

ANd we must always use the "context" word wqith caution.

IT is true, and I have used it, when we have our presuppositions and have molded the Gospel like a nose of wax into something we can relate to, when we bring God down to our level, when we create a Christ for us, we always say, context context context. WHen somethign disagrees with our Christ.

How many times have you said or heard it said, "Well he did not mean that, or that scripture does not mean that, read it in context!!!!!

Yes this is a huge problem with a lot of people. Usually pride causes people to only see what they want to see, but in that pride they punish themselves and ironically manifest themselves as unadmirable fools because it blinds them from truth. Christ is the truth and in the truth we find Christ. Therefore it is verrry important to watch out for self-deception and to be criticle thinkers for the sake of finding the truth and Christ in it. I don't know if it is possible to be objective but we should try to interpret what is the best we can without filtering it (which contaminates it many times ironically) with our biases.

This mindset has revealed to me many things and set me free from the bondage of our culture.

Some thoughts:

1. A very good book to read is Jonathan Edwards' "The Religious Affections." He wrote this because he was concerned that during the Great Awakening there had been some trouble with the church accepting any and all kind of emotions and their expressions and forms as from God. Later, after the Awakening, he believed that the church was reacting in the other direction--rejecting all outward expression of emotion as mere show and fleshly sensationalism. His book lays out his very clear and balanced opinion.

2. While agreeing that people can certainly clap, wave their hands etc during worship and do so in a pure heart of worship, we live in a culture that almost universally associates clapping with a sense of appreciation by an audience for a job well done. Even the most sincere clapper surely must acknowledge that his behavior could easily be mistaken as praise for the speaker/singer/musician or as showing that he was emotionally touched by the experience (which may or may not be from the Spirit. All one has to do is go to a classical music concert and watch the audience rise to their feet, some with tears in their eyes, over the majesty of the soaring music to know this). Knowing this, I believe that we should be careful.

3. In that same vein, we do not have many direct commands regarding the exact manner, timing or order of our worship. We are not required to sing 2.5 hymns before the sermon, which must not be more than 40 minutes, and end with another hymn, but not more than one. But, one thing that is clear is that our worship must be decently and orderly. I have been in several churches where some of the congregation--sometimes only one or two, other times the majority--engaged in clapping, swaying, "amen" calling and "Praise God's". In every case without exception, their behavior was distracting to at least some of the congregation. I have rarely witnessed a person distracting from the worship of the Lord in churches where such things are not done. Here again, I just believe there should be caution and a careful contemplation. Certainly the elders should be ready and willing to immediately approach those whose behavior is regularly distracting and discuss the matter with them, at the least to let them know what they are doing (which they may not realize), and at the worst to determine if there might be a fleshly, sinful motive behind it.

4. And, all that being said, let every man be thoroughly convinced in his own mind, have charity for the brethren and do everything that is righteously possible to avoid division.

Are you a robot ?

Originally posted by OS_X

Are you a robot ?

Is God a robot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back