Visiting SBC church for the first time this Lord's Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll let you know, Ivan! I'm somewhat disappointed that I never made it to that Founders church outside of Memphis we discussed about on my road trip some years ago.

Anyhow, it seems like bizzaro world these days! You're drinking Guinness and I'll be sitting in an SBC pew this Sunday. Who'da thunk it?

I'll let you know, Ivan! I'm somewhat disappointed that I never made it to that Founders church outside of Memphis we discussed about on my road trip some years ago.

Anyhow, it seems like bizzaro world these days! You're drinking Guinness and I'll be sitting in an SBC pew this Sunday. Who'da thunk it?

LOL Well, I drank two Guinness and I probably won't be drinking many more for quite some time. I drink eight to ten beers A YEAR! lol

I imagine you have a Founders church somewhere near you. I'm not that familiar with the Atlanta area. BTW, the Memphis church Michael is talking about is South Woods Baptist Church, from which we have several PB members.

South Woods...I remember now. And yes, I'm sure we have plenty of Founders churches in these parts. I'll make it to one of them one day, if not for the sake of getting to worship with my Baptist brethren. Probably will make it to Maranatha first if I ever get the chance to see my sister in Chicago. I don't seem to stray from Brookwood...well ever unless I'm traveling. But I'm visiting a friend this weekend and hoping for the best.

Thanks Ivan! This one is minutes from my house:
Fellowship Community Church
2209 Sunny Hill Rd
Lawrenceville, GA 30043
Phone: 770 289-8525
Church affiliation: Southern Baptist Convention
Church confession: 2nd London Baptist Confession (1689)
We are a Calvinistic Southern Baptist Church who holds to the 1689 London Baptist Confession. We are currently meeting for worship on Sundays at 6pm at Christ Reformed Church Building. We also have ...

Okay, then you live right where I grew up--my father still lives off Prospect and Old Peachtree. We've worshipped a few times at the Presbyterian church on Sunny Hill--it was Heritage, I think, and now it's Christ Reformed, where the church you list meets.
You drive a long way to Brookwood!!

Well, not quite that close. Although I do know the area where your father lives fairly well. I live in the Simonton/New Hope Rd. area. It takes me about 20 minutes to get to Brookwood but that's mostly because of our lovely traffic here. It'd be about 10-15 minutes to Sunny Hill Rd, maybe a little more if things are clogged around hwy316.

I've actually never been to Heritage/Christ Reformed. I know their pastor, Robert Truelove, used to be on the PB and we tried to connect a couple times but things never materialized.

We will expect a full report right here. :judge:

Ok, where to begin...

First, let me say that the folks were indeed very warm and inviting. Many had been at that particular church for their entire lives. They seemed to be a very attentive bunch and plenty were beaming with a zeal for God.

The service itself felt very loose. Not much was prepared ahead of time. Even the hymns were sort of impromptu. There were a lot of elbow jokes as segues from one portion of worship to the next. There were two songs that were 'solos' led by a couple ladies. One had to do with the rapture.

The oddest part was when everything stopped for someone to present an award to an elderly deacon for "being such a good deacon" (sort of like a lifetime deacon achievement award with a plaque and everything). It took a sizable amount of time and involved a couple speeches. There was a lot of weeping.

The sermon was brief and very loosely based on Luke 10. Basically the pastor wanted everyone to know that just as we have licenses for various things such as driving or operating a business, we as Christians had license to rejoice in Christ. There was little theological substance served though. Just wanted people to be excited about salvation (which I was!).

There was NO altar call at the end! I'd never seen one before and I'd heard that this church had one every week. But apparently the deacon achievement award pushed things a little long so...oh well.

I don't want to sound as if I'm looking down my nose at these nice folks, but overall I just wish that they were fed more spiritually. It seemed almost like what I'd expect a "kid's service" to be like at some larger churches, only the sanctuary here was packed with adults. I got the sense that most of these folks had never been fed spiritual meat in their lives. There was a ton of zeal but only an ounce or two of substance.

I realize that this is by no means indicative of all Baptist churches. It's not a Founders church and is far from Reformed. I'm a Presbyterian and could probably find much worse in the PCUSA. These folks were God fearing brothers and sisters in Christ though and I was glad that I attended. I only left with a heavy heart and longing that they were given more. Much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back