Webcam for Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerusalem Blade

Puritan Board Doctor
I have a question for you Mac tech folks (or even Windows people if you know): I recently, during my visit to NY, purchased a Logitech "QuickCam Chat for Skype" webcam, only to find out (back here in Cyprus) that it doesn't support Macs. I've since learned there are very few webcams that do.

I downloaded a free program called Macam which allows the camera to work, though I can't get it to operate on any of the video call programs (Skype, Yahoo, SightSpeed). Any suggestions? I don't have the $ to get a new camera now. The Logitech I have uses USB 2, not Firewire.

I have an iBook 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 (circa 2005) running Tiger (will install Leopard when Amazon sends my new manual).

Thanks,

Steve
 
Hi Steve,
I feel your pain. Apple wants you to buy their very own high priced proprietary cameras. I also have a Logitech Quickcam here at work. I was about to give up when I discovered a plugin that's lets it work in iChat. I got it at this website. I don't know if this will solve your problem but it's the only help I've found.

Ecamm Network: iUSBCam - Make Your Webcam Work with iChat

Description:
iChatUSBCam is a plugin which allows for using a non-FireWire video source in iChat AV. It also allows for video conferencing on G3 computers which fall below Apple's minimum requirement of 600 MHz. Additionally, it allows you to tune your camera's video settings.

Requirements:
* iChat AV (2.0 or higher).
* A USB webcam (or other video source) with Mac compatible drivers.
* QuickTime 6.4 is required to use advanced iSight settings.

Features:

QuickTime Video:
Now you can use any Mac compatible webcam with iChat AV. Simply make sure that your video source works by using any 3rd party video software.
 
I have a question for you Mac tech folks (or even Windows people if you know): I recently, during my visit to NY, purchased a Logitech "QuickCam Chat for Skype" webcam, only to find out (back here in Cyprus) that it doesn't support Macs. I've since learned there are very few webcams that do.

I downloaded a free program called Macam which allows the camera to work, though I can't get it to operate on any of the video call programs (Skype, Yahoo, SightSpeed). Any suggestions? I don't have the $ to get a new camera now. The Logitech I have uses USB 2, not Firewire.

I have an iBook 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 (circa 2005) running Tiger (will install Leopard when Amazon sends my new manual).

Thanks,

Steve

You might want to check the Logitech web site for downloads to support PPC Macs. Now that Apple builds iSight cameras into MacBooks and iMacs, there is probably little third party support to provide web cams for the Mac.
 
Hi Steve,
I feel your pain. Apple wants you to buy their very own high priced proprietary cameras. I also have a Logitech Quickcam here at work. I was about to give up when I discovered a plugin that's lets it work in iChat. I got it at this website. I don't know if this will solve your problem but it's the only help I've found.

Ecamm Network: iUSBCam - Make Your Webcam Work with iChat

Description:
iChatUSBCam is a plugin which allows for using a non-FireWire video source in iChat AV. It also allows for video conferencing on G3 computers which fall below Apple's minimum requirement of 600 MHz. Additionally, it allows you to tune your camera's video settings.

Requirements:
* iChat AV (2.0 or higher).
* A USB webcam (or other video source) with Mac compatible drivers.
* QuickTime 6.4 is required to use advanced iSight settings.

Features:

QuickTime Video:
Now you can use any Mac compatible webcam with iChat AV. Simply make sure that your video source works by using any 3rd party video software.

Apple hasn't sold their high-priced proprietary cameras (the iSight) for the past two years. They're now built into some machines, but they're no longer sold separately.
 
So I'm still correct Rae. You still have to buy Apple's high priced proprietary cameras (that they have cleverly embedded in their high priced proprietary monitors) if you want a compatible camera.

I am a Mac jockey. I have a G5 at work and a G4 and G3 at home. I want a camera for the home puter but it seems I'll have to buy a new computer.

I still love Mac. :drool:
 
I have a question for you Mac tech folks (or even Windows people if you know): I recently, during my visit to NY, purchased a Logitech "QuickCam Chat for Skype" webcam, only to find out (back here in Cyprus) that it doesn't support Macs. I've since learned there are very few webcams that do.

I downloaded a free program called Macam which allows the camera to work, though I can't get it to operate on any of the video call programs (Skype, Yahoo, SightSpeed). Any suggestions? I don't have the $ to get a new camera now. The Logitech I have uses USB 2, not Firewire.

I have an iBook 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 (circa 2005) running Tiger (will install Leopard when Amazon sends my new manual).

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

If you want it, I have an extra iSight camera that I used on my Powerbook G4. It's a very dependable camera. I recently purchased a new iMac with a camera built in. It's firewire, so you'd have to have a FW port, but it's yours if you want it. Just PM me where to send it, and I'll ship it to you.

Jake
 
Jake,

Thanks! I wasn't even dreaming/hoping that high -- an iSight Firewire webcam -- that's the top of the line.

I sent you a PM. (On the customs form please check "gift", and note "used webcam" -- so I won't get hit with high customs fees.)

Thanks to you other folks with your comments. The iMage looked good, Bob, but I was still hunting for software, till this God-send gift came.

Grateful,

Steve
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top