Votes: 21 36.8%
  • I have memorized one of the other Reformed Catechism

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a baptist, but have memorized the Shorter Catechism.

I would repeatedly write it over and over.

Also, I would tape myself on cassette reading and rereading the same question about 15 times over before moving on to the next question and answer.

I worked nights on a pysch ward at that time. If I did not have these quiet hours, I would not have been able to memorize anything...and now, I cannot even memorize small snippets of Scripture it seems.

I voted "tried but gave up" because it is true. I got through about 20 questions back when Mike Butterfield was teaching the WSC at Riveroaks. But time has taken its toll.

On the other hand, I keep thinking that I should try again. I have found MP3's of the Shorter Catechism at Immanuel Presbyterian Church - Norfolk, VA where it is broken up into segments of a half dozen questions for each file. (Look down towards the bottom of the page.)

I voted "tried but gave up" because it is true. I got through about 20 questions back when Mike Butterfield was teaching the WSC at Riveroaks. But time has taken its toll.

On the other hand, I keep thinking that I should try again. I have found MP3's of the Shorter Catechism at Immanuel Presbyterian Church - Norfolk, VA where it is broken up into segments of a half dozen questions for each file. (Look down towards the bottom of the page.)

Thanks for the link I will download them. :up:

I'm a baptist, but have memorized the Shorter Catechism.

I would repeatedly write it over and over.

Also, I would tape myself on cassette reading and rereading the same question about 15 times over before moving on to the next question and answer.

I worked nights on a pysch ward at that time. If I did not have these quiet hours, I would not have been able to memorize anything...and now, I cannot even memorize small snippets of Scripture it seems.

So... after all that work you didn't become enlightened, repent and turn to peadobaptism? :lol: (Just kidding... throw no stones)

I've memorized the first ten questions or so but I'm still working on it.

By the way, you asked earlier about memorizing the children's catechism or something before learning the WSC. I would strongly urge against that. I learned the Children's catechism and it only made things more difficult when I would work on the WSC because the answers were so different! Your very young children may not understand everything when they initially memorize the WSC but they will appreciate its use throughout the rest of their lives! :2cents:

We have been memorizing the WSC for some time now with our children in our family worship. We are now in the 40's and are pushing along. Our children range in ages from 3-13 and some of them do not fully understand the truths in what they are learning, but we are hiding them in their hearts and trusting in the promises of God that he will use the fruits of our labors as a means of grace to our children later on.

Something that has helped us learn the catechism so quickly is buying cds that have the question and answers set to music. It has worked very effectively for our family, especially for the younger ones. However, my husband and I both catch ourselves going around singing them all the time around the house. It can become one of those things that get stuck in your head all day long.:)

There are a few different kinds that you can purchase. When we were in the Baptist church we started with "Baptist Catechism set to Music" which we purchased through the Founders Ministries. A lot of what we have memorized from the catechism came from that cd. Of course the answers on that cd are somewhat different than the WSC, so we are getting ready to purchase one for the WSC. There are a few available out there, if you google WSC set to music you will come across them with different types of music depending on your preference of style. One of them available from the McCracken family can be found at the Crown and Covenant website: Sing the Westminster Shorter Catechism, Q 1-20

I'll never forget when I first became a Calvinist while in College and during one summer purchased a "Children's Catechism" to show my Mother. My younger brother expressed concern that I was leaving the Faith of Fundamental Baptists and becoming Catholic of all things. I asked my mother why my brother would think that and it is because I had purchased a "Catechism". Today my brother and his wife are members in good standing of a PCA church and have had both of their children baptized into the Covenant as infants. I believe they are now being catechized. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back