What to read and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the suggestions! I went to the library this weekend and picked up a number of books. I'll continue to use this list for ideas. Keep 'em coming! :up:

But you have to tell us what you got and whether you enjoyed it and why so recommendations can be customized.

But you have to tell us what you got and whether you enjoyed it and why so recommendations can be customized.

I checked out these books. For a couple of them, the recommended book was not at the library, so I chose another book by the same author to get a feel for the writing.

Enid Blyton's The Island of Adventure
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's Cancer Ward
John Buchan's The Thirty-Nine Steps
Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose
Mark Helprin's A City in Winter
Robert Penn Warren's All the King's Men
Jane Smiley's Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Novel
David McCullough's 1776

I read and enjoyed The Thirty-Nine Steps. It wasn't particularly deep, but the pacing was quick and the storyline engaging. I'll probably pick up some more books by Buchan.

I almost enjoyed A City in Winter. I loved the writing style and the book had the promise of being a sweet story of a young queen's courage in conquest. Instead, I felt her character was flat because she never moved the plot along. Secondary characters did everything while she stood in the background and watched things happen to her. I'm fairly certain I'll try another book by Helprin, though.

I started The Name of the Rose. I enjoy theology. I enjoy philosophy. I enjoy detailed descriptions a la Charles Dickens. But I did not enjoy those first thirty pages of this book. I felt like some pompous professor was trying to tell a story but refused to speak clearly. The syntax seemed especially cumbersome. Maybe I'm just not willing to dig into the book right now. And I don't trust the storyteller's voice. He says he won't give physical descriptions of anyone because what's inside is what counts--then he proceeds to give detailed, paragraph-long descriptions of everyone he meets. Pretty sure that if I finish this book, I'll be skimming.

I'm halfway through 1776, and I'm enjoying it immensely. I love history, and I love the reliance on primary sources which are quoted on nearly every page. It really makes the story come alive.

I really enjoy the Bronte sisters! The story lines are sometime lame, but their writing is beyond words! They are true writers! Wuthering Heights was my favorite, although, the story line was lame...her writing is just awesome! I just finished Jane Eyre and that was really good. Also, I enjoyed The Count of Monte Cristo. Treasure Island is a fun kid's book.

In addition to the other recommendations:

Les Miserables- Victor Hugo
The Roots of American Order- Russell Kirk
Of Mice and Men- John Steinbeck

and although the underlying theology is not reformed- all of Frank Peretti's books. He's like a Christian Steven King. a great story-teller and immensely readable. Peretti even pokes fun at his Pentacostal past in The Visitation.

Last edited:
Next time you go to the library see if you can find the Junie B. Jones books. There are about 20 of them. This is kiddie lit, but they must have really been written for adults. My wife has been reading them to me and the grandchildren. Young and old alike, we were rolling on the floor.

Umberto Eco is the most erudite person I have ever read, but by no means the best writer. I am reasonably confident that trusting the narrator is not what you're meant to do; and that is not going to be everyone's cup of tea (or perhaps produce all that much that is really great). But Eco can also be one of the funniest people alive when he would like to be: you might enjoy, How to Travel with a Salmon.

An American Life autobiography of Ronald Reagan
American Cesear William Manchester
The Poetry of Robert Frost: The Collected Poems, Complete and Unabridged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back