What was YOUR first car????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
man... now my mind is wandering... I think I'm having flashback clips of That 70's Show....LOL

Well the very first was a car none of you will have ever heard of.
It was a Morris Minor.
A guy gave it to me for hauling junk off his vacant lot.
Morris Minor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I loved that thing but gradually my dad fixed up an old Willy's Jeep and I moved up to that.

Lovely cars. My mum had one and it was the first car I drove regularly. I wrote it off. One of the worst days of my life!

My first car?

1959 Rambler Classic!

1957-1960-rambler-1959-1.jpg

you said the rear window helped with ventilation...
fogged out means like you were making out and the car got all steamy or you were smoking with the windows rolled up and... oh never mind it was a joke... sorry.

Well...I never smoked in the car.

-----Added 2/18/2009 at 08:16:50 EST-----

It was a fun car. Was a little slow at the line but it could really go! And with the rear window that went down, it helped with ventilation. There was no A/C in mine, and just an AM radio.
Rear window went down? Cool!

Yup! Just flipped the switch. My dad bought the car in the summer of '62. I remember a trip to Oklahoma in it during the summer. Remember, no A/C...that rear window down helped it be a lot cooler.

My first car was an '82 Buick Skylark.

My younger brother and I went in halves... I got it for two years, until I turned 18 and shipped out for basic training, and then the car was his. He ended up destroying it because he went off roading with it. No joke.

First Car: 1961 Ford Falcon

1961_ford_falcon_fordor_031.jpg

My first ride? A 1961 Ford Falcon, acquired in 1974 for the princely sum of $256, tax, title, and dealer prep.

John Owen Butler
Pastor-Teacher
Beal Heights PCA
Lawton, OK, USA
Home

Oh yeah?!? Well, I'm going to make all you guys jealous. Here was my first car (only in ultra manly powder blue instead):

300px-FordPinto1.jpg

Followed soon after by this sweet piece of history, the Dodge Aspen:

pic-64699.jpeg

1961_ford_falcon_fordor_031.jpg

My first ride? A 1961 Ford Falcon, acquired in 1974 for the princely sum of $256, tax, title, and dealer prep.
Now that is a sharp ride! And quite a deal, even in '74!
Oh yeah?!? Well, I'm going to make all you guys jealous. Here was my first car (only in ultra manly powder blue instead):
Tim, that first pic didn't work. So we're left wondering what fine piece of machinery we're missin'...

Kinda dig the Aspen, though. :lol:

Tim, that first pic didn't work. So we're left wondering what fine piece of machinery we're missin'...

Didn't work, huh? Well, take a gander at this vintage ad. You'll see an exact image of that sweet Pinto in all of its powder blue glory at the bottom of the ad:

80fordpinto.jpg

Didn't work, huh? Well, take a gander at this vintage ad. You'll see an exact image of that sweet Pinto in all of its powder blue glory at the bottom of the ad:

80fordpinto.jpg
Nothin' but cool, Tim, nothin' but cool... just watch out fer them rear-end collisions.. :lol:

Had a Maverick that a buddy and I traded some... err... contraband for once. One wheel always aimed a little left of the other. Was hard on tires, but could (possibly) get you to where you were going... on a good day. Gotta love them Fords!

Following all of these old ads, I remember this spoof that appeared after Senator Kennedy's unfortunate accident on a certain bridge. They used to brag about how waterproof their car was and how it would even float. Well, that gave some wags a mean idea for a spoof.

tedvwsmall.jpg

The text reads quite closely to the old Volkswagen ads in most respects.

It floats.

The way our body is built, we'd be surprised if it didn't. The sheet of flat steel that goes underneath every Volkswagen keeps out water, as well as dirt and salt and other nasty things that can eat away at the underside of a car. So it's watertight at the bottom. And everybody knows it's easier to shut the door on a Volkswagen after you've rolled down the window a little.

That proves it's practically airtight on top. If it was a boat, we could call it the Water Bug. But it's not a boat, it's a car.

And, like Mary Jo Kopechne, it's only 99 and 44/100 percent pure. So it won't stay afloat forever. Just long enough. Poor Teddy. If he'd been smart enough to buy a Volkswagen, he never would have gotten into hot water.

Last edited:
Nothin' but cool, Tim, nothin' but cool... just watch out fer them rear-end collisions.. :lol:

When I was in high school and very stupid, we used to play this game where you would sneak up behind your buddy in the car in front of you and tap his bumper at about 1 mph. After I had it done to me once or twice, I realized I was in a Pinto and the lives of all involved were at risk!

Actually, I think they had fixed the problem by 1980; I don't think mine was part of the recall. It was just the last year of the Pinto. The new grill killed the Pinto!!!

Following all of these old ads, I remember this spoof that appeared after Senator Kennedy's unfortunate accident on a certain bridge. They used to brag about how waterproof their car was and how it would even float. Well, that gave some wags a mean idea for a spoof.

tedvwsmall.jpg

The text reads quite closely to the old Volkswagen ads in most respects.

It floats.

The way our body is built, we'd be surprised if it didn't. The sheet of flat steel that goes underneath every Volkswagen keeps out water, as well as dirt and salt and other nasty things that can eat away at the underside of a car. So it's watertight at the bottom. And everybody knows it's easier to shut the door on a Volkswagen after you've rolled down the window a little.

That proves it's practically airtight on top. If it was a boat, we could call it the Water Bug. But it's not a boat, it's a car.

And, like Mary Jo Kopechne, it's only 99 and 44/100 percent pure. So it won't stay afloat forever. Just long enough. Poor Teddy. If he'd been smart enough to buy a Volkswagen, he never would have gotten into hot water.
Yeah, that ad was in National Lampoon, and VW sued over it. I thought it was pretty funny back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back