Where Did You Attend Seminary?

Where Did You/Are You Attend/ing Seminary?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did you attend Seminary?

Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Ft. Worth, Texas.

What are some of the things you remember most (good and bad)?

1. I remember mostly good, solid professors, but I also remember the beginning of the turmoil of the Conservative Resurgence at SWBTS, of which I supported. I went to SWBTS because it was considered the most conservative of all the Southern Baptist seminaries at the time.

2. I remember meeting many good students. Many of them became my good friends that was so necessary to survive seminary.

3. I remember attending classes full-time and working full-time. That was not good, but is was necessary (at least I thought so at the time).

4. I remember being a member of Gambrell Street Baptist Church while attending seminary and listening to the preaching of Dr. Joel C. Gregory and was crestfallen years later when he resigned from First Baptist Church, Dallas under less than favorable circumstances.

Looking back now what are some things you would change?

1. Knowing what I know now I probably would have attended a different seminary but not sure where. But I didn't, so it is what it is.

2. Also, I would made arrangements somehow to not work so many hours and spend more time in study.

3. I would have attended a smaller church and had been more involved in the ministry of the church.

I have no regrets about meeting the people I did and the friends I made. Attending SWBTS is part and parcel as to the person I am, the good and the bad. Overall, I'm glad I attended SWBTS during that time period. If I were going to attend seminary today it would be THE Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky.

Response to Eric

Fuller Theological Seminary--11 extension courses that don't transfer in to Whitefield Seminary where I am slowly working on a degreee in counseling. Dr. Talbot is my pastor and seminary professor for the counseling classes.

Your classes from Fuller did not transfer into Whitefield?

After reading McFadden's post I think I might know why. Dr. Talbot likes the student to have a good solid reformed background.

I did not even try to transfer them in because the two Rogerian counseling classes I had a Fuller are not the approach that Whitefield is taking with Nouthetic Counseling. I did have interesting classes,though--e.g. Gospel of John with Earl Palmer and Christian Ethics with Louis Smedes and classes with Paul Larsen who was my pastor at the time at Peninsula Covenant Church in Redwood City, California. These classes were mainly Fuller extension classes. I dropped out of the second Greek class as I didn't see Greek in my future.

I attended the Assemlies of God Theological Seminary. It was not Reformed but during that time the Holy Spirit was enlightening me. I AM NOT A PENTECOSTAL! Actually I feel like I received a great education. Ironically, I was a dispensationalist when I entered and left an amillenialist. Go figure! Also, within two years after graduating I fully embraced Reformed theology. I had one Reformed minister ask me one time if I felt like I got cheated because it was not a Reformed shool. That is a pompeous question and a degrading one to someone newly reformed, coming from outside the Reformed Faith. Folks, the Holy Spirit can reach us, even in the midst of Arminian heresy and doctrinal error.

I am attending Whitefield Theological Seminary now. You should add it to the list! I don't know enough to judge it yet, but it is great if you want to go at your own pace and are good at self-motivation.

Puritan Reformed: Loved it. It is a 4 year MDiv though... a bit long; but every class is excellent.

I plan on doing doctoral work at Reformed Presbyterian Theological in Pittsburgh starting in 2011.

My former pastor graduated from Dallas Theological Seminary. I don't think it did him any harm, as he now is a professor himself at the African Bible University in Kampala, Uganda teaching the Reformed faith to eager African preachers.

My current pastor (Keith Howard) is working on a degree from Whitefield.

Last edited:
I attended the Assemlies of God Theological Seminary. It was not Reformed but during that time the Holy Spirit was enlightening me. I AM NOT A PENTECOSTAL! Actually I feel like I received a great education. Ironically, I was a dispensationalist when I entered and left an amillenialist. Go figure! Also, within two years after graduating I fully embraced Reformed theology. I had one Reformed minister ask me one time if I felt like I got cheated because it was not a Reformed shool. That is a pompeous question and a degrading one to someone newly reformed, coming from outside the Reformed Faith. Folks, the Holy Spirit can reach us, even in the midst of Arminian heresy and doctrinal error.

:amen: Replace "Assemblies of God" with "Pittsburgh" and you and I have the same story. Especially the "one Reformed minister..." bit. I have experienced that as well.

My pastor is working on hosting LAMP Theological Seminary which is an arm of the PCA

If succesful, I will be working on my BDiv this fall. Please pray for this as every avenue I have pursued thus far has been a dead end. This program is exactly what a middle aged man with children and a strong current vocation needs to prepare for ministry and ordination in the future.

St. Mary's Seminary & University, Baltimore

Lutheran Theological Seminary, Gettysburg

Both taught me what NOT to believe.:)

I went to Westminster, PA in the late 70's [M.A.R.] and Covenant in the latter half of the 90's [M.Div. and Th.M.]

I remember WTS as more rigorous [John Frame's advice on our pending first exam was: "Be profound"] but Covenant was better in homiletics and in teaching the languages.

In Hebrew, Phil Long (no longer at CTS) had a superior pedagogical method, though Ray Dillard (@ WTS, now deceased) was his equal for having an infectious love of the language, which for me, goes a long way in carrying the student along.

In sum, CTS exams expected you to know the material and be able to regurgitate it. WTS exams expected all that and thoughtful interaction.

That said, when at WTS, I saw older exams from prior years--even then there had been a dumbing down. As one illustration, Dr. Gerard Van Groningen studied under Murray in the 40's. On one exam, Murray graded him down to a "B" and said it would have been an "A" paper except that he didn't write with Calvin's pastoral heart!

And of course that prompts the old saw about how you could tell which one was Murray's glass eye? Reply: It's the one with a glimmer of kindness. [Murray's glass eye was the result of a war-time injury]

[Note to self: As you get older, you tend to ramble a bit]

As the sig says: Regent College Vancouver in the late 80's early 90's.
For somebody coming out of a broad evangelical/low church/Anglican background with Reformed sympathies, Regent was a phenomenal blessing.

Gordoon Fee's exegetical conclusions may raise eyebrows here at some points, but his teaching on how biblical Exegesis should be done was exemplary. Applying the principles he taught to the relevant texts sometimes made me realize crucial shortcomings of positions he himself affirmed; e.g., women may move in unrestricted teaching ministries, something I had held to be biblical before arriving at Regent!
JI Packer's theology classes, taken before his squishy turn on RC fellowhsip gave me a basic roadmap of the theological terrain and the tools needed to analyze differing positions. Having him as my faculty advisor came in handy a few years later on a couple of other matters. When the time came that I considered leaving Anglicanism, he was gracious enough to serve as a sounding board.

Hello PB,

I've enjoyed reading the different seminaries others have attended.
smiley_emoticons_winkgrin.gif

Like Skyler......... I'm currently homeschooled
bokmal.gif

Covenant Seminary - M.Div
Gordon Conwell - D.Min

Both were good I got solidly reformed educations in both places. I am still of the Presbyterian persuasion, but pastorng a (solidly reformed at the moment) Baptist congregation.

Cameron:

Back in the 18th and even 19th centuries, it was not uncommon to find this line in a pastor's biographical sketch:

"Studied theology privately"

Fuller Theological Seminary--11 extension courses that don't transfer in to Whitefield Seminary where I am slowly working on a degreee in counseling. Dr. Talbot is my pastor and seminary professor for the counseling classes.

That is one of the most insane things I have ever heard. Fuller may not be Reformed and I don't think it can qualify as even evangelical, but Fuller not only is accredited but has strong academic standards that are respected by most (if not all) reformed, evangelical and the best secular universitites in the world. And an internet, non-campus, unaccredited diploma factory would say no to that! That just frustrates me. I will never respect a whitefield seminary degree again... it is reformed arrogance and pride at its worse.

but granted I don't know all the details so I can't be too hasy and judgy... But I just had to say that.

Cameron:

Back in the 18th and even 19th centuries, it was not uncommon to find this line in a pastor's biographical sketch:

"Studied theology privately"

Thank you Wayne,
I look to the doors the Lord's providence opens, and seek His counsel to the doors that are closed. :)

New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary.

Although, I wouldn't recommend it, unless you find yourself in PM Brooks class. He is a member of the PB. I was an Arminian at the time I attended and the seminary is about 99.9% Arminian. I did meet my wife in New Orleans though, so I am glad that I went.

That is one of the most insane things I have ever heard. Fuller may not be Reformed and I don't think it can qualify as even evangelical, but Fuller not only is accredited but has strong academic standards that are respected by most (if not all) reformed, evangelical and the best secular universitites in the world. And an internet, non-campus, unaccredited diploma factory would say no to that! That just frustrates me. I will never respect a whitefield seminary degree again... it is reformed arrogance and pride at its worse.

but granted I don't know all the details so I can't be too hasy and judgy... But I just had to say that.

:think: I graduated magna cum laude from Westmont (Religious Studies), had a review published in Christianity Today while an undergrad, finished Fuller with an even higher GPA, completed a 450 pg. D.Min., wrote a 587 page thesis for my M.A. in Organizational Managment, and completed two rigorous certificate programs (including a 30 unit one in management at UCLA) and have NEVER worked so hard in my life as in the Whitefield program. So, unless you know more about it than those of us in the program, please tone down the disdain. :p But, then again, I think that PRTS and GPTS are pretty cool too and they are not accredited. So what do I know?

Transfer between even accredited seminaries is dubious. I looked into transferring from one to another and the credits they would accept was minimal. I looked at transferring to Howard, RTS-Washington, and SBTS-Washington and they would only accept a few of the practical courses but none of the biblical ones. Seminaries are not cash cows, neither for the universities they are affiliated with nor in general. So it is not strange.

One of the things I noticed as a student of Whitefield is because they are not accredited that they are able to demand more stringent work. In a traditional seminary you can skim a book and ignore some entirely. You might have 8 books in a subject but not read more than 1 or 2 in their entirety. Not so at Whitefield. Lecture outlines, chapter summaries, book reports, and a paper are par for the course.

The first course only has 5 books. 3 are chapter summaries and 2 are book reports. The fun starts in Systematic I with 7 books as chapter summaries, 3 book reports, lecture outlines, and a paper.

Whitefield is as far from a diploma mill/factory as they come. No, you will not be able to teach at an accredited school with a doctorate from Whitefield but you will know the Bible and orthodox theology.

As for me:
Virginia Union University, M.Div 2011-expected
RTS for the languages, begin in Fall 2009
Whitefield, MA, Theology & Church History, graduation-????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back