The Comprehensive Psalter "assigns" a tune to each psalm or section of a psalm, and has the tune printed at the top, the words at the bottom. I'm going to go against the trend here and say that I would *not* recommend the Comprehensive Psalter, but only for reasons of personal preference. Those reasons are:
1. I don't always like the tune assignments. For instance, the Comprehensive Psalter puts the beginning of Psalm 103 with the tune Kilmarnock. While this is a suitable tune, I really prefer that part of Psalm 103 to the tune London New. I suppose I could flip back and forth between that section of Psalm 103 and the page that has the tune I want, but that would be awkward.
2. The Comprehensive Psalter divides the psalms into sections. Some of these sections are really long! For instance, the Comprehensive Psalter has all of Psalm 108 in one section--that's ten stanzas! I find that six or maybe seven stanzas is a much more comfortable amount to sing at once. Of course you're not obligated to sing the whole section, but if you're like me, you'll feel like you're "supposed to" sing it the way it's divided.
3. The Comprehensive Psalter has different, newer, and usually simpler versions of some tunes. For instance, the tunes "Bishopthorpe" and "St. Lawrence" in the Comprehensive Psalter are simpler than in the split-leaf Psalter I use. While the newer versions might be easier to sing, I personally think they are not quite as beautiful. However, if you are just singing the melody line and not singing parts, the difference will probably not be noticeable.
Since you can read music, I would recommend the split-leaf Psalter published by the Free Church of Scotland. The pages are split horizontally, with the tunes in the top half and the psalms in the bottom half--so you can turn to the psalm you're singing in the bottom half, and any tune you like in the top half (each psalm has three or four suggested tunes, if you don't know where to start). The best price I know of is at the FP bookroom, which is selling it for $28:
https://www.fpbookroom.org/acatalog/F_P_Bookroom_Psalm_Books_and_Psalmodies_74.html
You would want to make sure that you ordered the "staff" version and not the "sol-fa" version.
If you just wanted the words, I would recommend ordering through TBS--you can get a small words-only psalter through them for very little. I wouldn't recommend the Bibles with the psalms in the back, because if you sing from the psalms in the back regularly, those pages will get a lot more wear than the rest of the Bible, and before long the pages with the metrical Psalms will be falling out! Learned that one the hard way.
Hope that helps.
