who would you rent out your building to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rembrandt

Puritan Board Sophomore
Would you allow one of these new evangelical "coffee time" churches to rent out your church building... if you really needed the rent money to buy another building?

Rembrandt

[quote:ec04b82885][i:ec04b82885]Originally posted by rembrandt[/i:ec04b82885]
Would you allow one of these new evangelical "coffee time" churches to rent out your church building... if you really needed the rent money to buy another building?

Rembrandt [/quote:ec04b82885]

Reply...

I'm more of a tea drinker myself, so probably not:bouncy:

No!
God will find a way without us compromising to obtain the building. Possibly we are wrong, God does not want us in a new building????

so you think it is wrong to allow others who may be off-base to use our facilities? What qualifications must they meet?

I agree with Paul. My comment had to do with compromise. If the body that will inhabit the building is orthodox, fine. Otherwise-no!

If I were a reformed congregation, I would not let a coffee house church desecrate our worship area with their shenanigans.

[quote:0395b98de9][i:0395b98de9]Originally posted by Scott Bushey[/i:0395b98de9]

If I were a reformed congregation, I would not let a coffee house church desecrate our worship area with their shenanigans. [/quote:0395b98de9]

Reply...

Any relation to Sean Shenanigan?:bouncy:

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by Gregg]

[quote:8dc6d6ed13][i:8dc6d6ed13]Originally posted by rembrandt[/i:8dc6d6ed13]

Rembrandt [/quote:8dc6d6ed13]

Paul,
See above!
:juggle:

Paul,
Keep in mind, I can only judge from [i:f47010edcf]my[/i:f47010edcf] personal experience with these groups.

These groups I refer to border upon heresy.
For example:
1) Arminian in theology
2) Woman in leadership and preachingf positions
3) Semi-Pelagian alter calls
4) The purport the "Christus Victor" idea
5) They trounce the regulative principle, i.e. show type programs during worship
6) leadership is not excluded from position even though there is divorce, adultery and the like.
7) The sacraments are distributed by "everyone", not the proper ordained individuals of the church.

I would not want to be taken to task over how I can justify having these groups in my church; would you?

[quote:f645358b69][i:f645358b69]Originally posted by Scott Bushey[/i:f645358b69]
If I were a reformed congregation, I would not let a coffee house church desecrate our worship area with their shenanigans. [/quote:f645358b69]
Desecrate your worship area? You talking about holy ground here? What do you mean by this desecration in light of teh fact that we worship in spirit and truth?

this reminds me of Brownsville where they keep the gates locked up so that no unholy person will drive in and maybe be so ungodly as to smoke a cigarette or something. Though somehow, I do see the justification behind not wanting the strange fire to be lifted up in our place of meeting. Mainly because I think its more of a stewardship thing...

Rembrandt

I would not let them use our building (if we had one) simply because I do not believe in what they are doing. They are off when it comes to worship and Biblical truth. And to use our building enables them to commit serious error. I would not want to be held responsible as a steward of what God has given us as His church.

However, it has nothing to do with desecrating our worship area. The Bible and the confessions are clear that true worship is not bound to a place nor made holy by location!

We currently meet in a recreation center where they have yoga and mediaition classes through the week. Does that mean we should not meet there?

The early church met in catacombs (caves used for graveyards).....a place where in the OT you would be unclean for just being there. But that is where the church worshipped.

Worship is not tied to a place! It is about worshipping God in spirit and truth.

Phillip

[b:d5adfcff96]LBCF[/b:d5adfcff96]
Worship - chapter 22.6

Under the Gospel neither prayer nor any other part of religious worship is tied to, or made more acceptable by, any place in which it is performed or towards which it is directed. God is to be worshipped everywhere in spirit and in truth, whether in private families daily, in secret by each individual, or solemnly in the public assemblies. These are not to be carelessly or wilfully neglected or forsaken, when God by His Word and providence calls us to them.

[Edited on 4-5-04 by pastorway]

When I say desecrate, I don't mean it in the technical sense.
OK, I admit it; wrong word to use! Darn sin sniffin"Doctrinal Police" are everywhere here on PB. Do I pay you guys? I got to tell Matt to put you on the payroll. It reminds me the scene in the Matrix when their ship is discovered by the sentinels....................hahahahahhahahahahaha uh hum, idiots!

However, I do believe that our sanctuary should be treated with a certain amount of respect and not be used for parties.

I understand that the area holds no official holiness over even the restroom. But it is where we cry out to God, and I would hate to think that the area where we pray is being used for either a rock and roll concert or coffee party. There's nothing wrong setting apart that area.........One just needs to understand that it is not "holier" per se. Question, do you treat your bibles with a certain amount of respect? Subconciously you do; admit it!

Just my opinion.

Phillip writes:
"We currently meet in a recreation center where they have yoga and mediaition classes through the week. Does that mean we should not meet there? "

I agree. It's fine that you meet there. I guess where I was going with the majority of all this is that I would not want a cult or some abberant group meeting under our roof tainting the consciences of my congreagants or ruining our witness to the rest of the surrounding area for the sake of a $.

~Side note:
Much like my living room on the "Final Four Weekend"; it should not be desecrated with woman doing needlework, panseys in tutu's, Martha Stewart discussions, Potpouri incenses, cups of herbal tea and the like. The only thing allowed is Beer, Whiskey, lots of Maduro cigars, ash-trays, sweating men arguing over the last shot, peanuts and pretzels, copies of Sports Illustrated (not the swimsuit edition), X-boxes w/ sporting games during breaks.

Say good night Boo-Boo.........Go Uconn! Kill them Bee's!!!!

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by Scott Bushey]

Hey......you were not doing all that drinkin and smokin in the room where you have church now were you???? Desecrating the altar??? Gettin down on the Holy Ground????

Hmmmmm.......

:gw::gw:
:gj::gj:
:lb::lb::lb::lb::lb::lb:
:banana::broccoli::banana::broccoli::banana::broccoli:

PastorWay, you're becoming quite skillful in your use of the "Bouncies!" You're starting to give Gregg a run for his money!

If I had the Church building and needed the money, I would allow non-cultic groups to use the facilities, the "contemp. evang's," etc.

Whether they were Arminian or not, as long as they could hold to the Sola's I wouldn't cringe quite as badly! No JW's, Mormon's, etc, obviously. I don't think their doctrine would be affecting my congregation by simply having them use our bldg. (I don't know about the "women pastor" thing though. I'd probably ixnay that.)

[quote:81e27154d6]

If I had the Church building and needed the money, I would allow non-cultic groups to use the facilities, the "contemp. evang's," etc.
[/quote:81e27154d6]

Just curious, but are you comfortable w/ easy believism churches? Do you not see a problem as a reformer in allowing groups like this to use your facility as a flag of agreement in what they do? My opinion, it borders upon eccumenicalism.....We reformers are to stand in opposition to this strain of disregard, not accept it or act as it is ok.

[quote:81e27154d6]Whether they were Arminian or not, as long as they could hold to the Sola's I wouldn't cringe quite as badly! [/quote:81e27154d6]

Arminians do not 'hold' to the sola's. In fact, their theology flies right in the face of Calvinism. So, prepare to 'cringe' greatly!

[quote:81e27154d6]No JW's, Mormon's, etc, obviously. I don't think their doctrine would be affecting my congregation by simply having them use our bldg.[/quote:81e27154d6]

Ultimately, how is the Arminian any different? God does not sit high and lifted up; men do. God did not choose men, men chse God. And what of the "carnal Christian/grace abounding theology??? The God of Arminius is NOT the God of the scriptures. I admit that not all present day evanjellyfishes are full staunch Arminians (in theology), but in their actions they are.

You mention the JW's and Mormons. Warning!!!! A virus is unseen to the naked eye. A half lie is worse than a whole one.........

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by Scott Bushey]

Everytime I see "who would you rent out your building to" I feel like I've got to post.

Pizza stores,
Donut shops,
nail salons
pet stores,
Dr. offices
Vets
restaurants
bakeries
travel agencies
beauty salons

No adult products, liquor, or tobacco products (ha ha - I have power over the tobacco store).

Oh, but then I read it and saw that you're talking about church buildings (which I wouldn't rent out at all, except maybe the kitchen)-- Well, what do you expect from a commercial real estate agent? :grin:

[quote:b496dd0341][i:b496dd0341]Originally posted by pastorway[/i:b496dd0341]
We currently meet in a recreation center where they have yoga and mediaition classes through the week. Does that mean we should not meet there? [/quote:b496dd0341]

This might explain an earlier post on the theology board. :gj:

Yea Phillip,
It's your fault that yoga guy came on board!

[img:d98420da8d]http://www.semperreformanda.com/images/before01.gif[/img:d98420da8d]

(Here, let me unwind this lotus position....ahhh that feels better)

[quote:52158d6f6f][i:52158d6f6f]Originally posted by ChristianasJourney[/i:52158d6f6f]
Well, what do you expect from a commercial real estate agent? :grin: [/quote:52158d6f6f]

Reply...

Not usually too many bargains (at least in this region).

:bouncy::bouncy:

[Edited on 4-7-2004 by Gregg]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back