Why do people assume God will ask...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJClark

Puritan Board Doctor
:rant:

I know some ask "IF" God (were) to ask, what would you say?"

But why would we assume God would even ask? Or even have need of asking?

I was reading something on a comments forum and someone posted "I do know something God WILL ASK..and that's "Why should I let you into my heaven?"
I want to scream when I hear people say that!! :barfy: :banghead:

Now, I realize D. James Kennedy used this as a tool for sharing the Gospel, and all respect for Mr. Kennedy..but why would we even assume God would even consider asking US anything??
 
:rant:

I know some ask "IF" God (were) to ask, what would you say?"

But why would we assume God would even ask? Or even have need of asking?

I was reading something on a comments forum and someone posted "I do know something God WILL ASK..and that's "Why should I let you into my heaven?"
I want to scream when I hear people say that!! :barfy: :banghead:

Now, I realize D. James Kennedy used this as a tool for sharing the Gospel, and all respect for Mr. Kennedy..but why would we even assume God would even consider asking US anything??

To me it's just another worthless Christian cliche. Hate 'em.
 
To me it's just another worthless Christian cliche. Hate 'em.
:agree:

This can be a useful tool for making one question what merits them for salvation, but there are many less annoying ways to do the same.
 
It can be a useful question in some circumstances, actually. I plan on using it in a few weeks when I conduct my first church membership interviews as an elder, as a matter of fact. It's a helpful opener to get to the "credible profession of faith" that membership requires.

This is not to assume that God will actually ask us any such thing, of course. It should be asked clearly as a hypothetical.
 
:rant:

I know some ask "IF" God (were) to ask, what would you say?"

But why would we assume God would even ask? Or even have need of asking?

I was reading something on a comments forum and someone posted "I do know something God WILL ASK..and that's "Why should I let you into my heaven?"
I want to scream when I hear people say that!! :barfy: :banghead:

Now, I realize D. James Kennedy used this as a tool for sharing the Gospel, and all respect for Mr. Kennedy..but why would we even assume God would even consider asking US anything??

I wonder. Do you think God asked D. James Kennedy..., er, never mind.
 
raekwon;

It should be asked clearly as a hypothetical.

I agree IF it is asked it should be asked as clearly hypothetical, but the problem is they are changing it from "IF" to "When"; they are certain God will in fact ask them..
 
Do you suppose that it stems from Romans 14:12? But that verse doesn't mean that the One Who chose us from before the foundation of the universe will "ask" us "why" He should "allow us into His heaven." Would that seem to be a four-alarm, flaming, doofus-friendly exegesis of that verse and the surrounding ones?

Just asking... :) :think:

Margaret
 
I find it a springboard onto where people's faith lies. It highlights the false hope that people have as invariably they relate they are not a bad person and their good works are sufficient. Immediately you have opportunity to speak of Christ's person and work and what God thinks of mans own righteous acts.
 
Sorry, I like the two EE questions. They are purely diagnostic and cut to the quick. EE is only intended to help the Christian learn to explain the basics of the Gospel more clearly, not be an exposition of all doctrine. :2cents:

The question technically is "Suppose you were to die today and stand before God and He were to say to you [...]"

In the rest of the EE Gospel presentation you have the chance to more clearly present God's sovereignty, justice, and mercy to the 'witnesee'.

I have a bigger problem with the typical misuse of Revelation 3:20 close to the end of the EE presentation.

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. - Revelation 3:20 ESV

On the other hand...I do have fun with 'visiting teams' from other Churches who ask me the question. All in the fun of brotherly love that is. :smug:
 
Sorry, I like the two EE questions. They are purely diagnostic and cut to the quick. EE is only intended to help the Christian learn to explain the basics of the Gospel more clearly, not be an exposition of all doctrine. :2cents:

Good point. I hated every minute of the cold-turkey door-knocking we did in the OPC with the EE materials, but I am thankful for the discipline, as it enabled me to witness more effectively.

As to any possible defects in the EE materials, I'm reminded of a story about Oral Roberts, to the effect that someone came up to him after a service and said he didn't like the way Roberts explained God's healing powers.

Roberts said -- OK, brother, explain to me how you do it?

The complainer said -- I don't.

Roberts said -- well, I like how I do it better than how you don't do it.

In other words -- if something's wrong with EE, does somebody have a better way?

:detective:
 
I have a bigger problem with the typical misuse of Revelation 3:20 close to the end of the EE presentation.

I didn't remember Rev 3:20 being used in EE, I'll have to pull out my notes. Perhaps we pulled it out and substituted something more appropriate from the start.

I do remember it being used in the Campus Crusade Tract.

--- Vinny Kochetta, Statesboro, GA
 
We don't assume God will ask a person but it is a hypothetical question. IF GOD... Thats what evangelism expolosion says. It's like "Do you consider yourself to be a good person", or God is most glorified as you are most satisfied in Him. Man made expressions to explain a Biblical truth. Also I do detect a bit of supralasperianism in your point ;)
 
I also dislike the EE approach since it is offensive and because it invites intellectual-assent easy-believism. HOWEVER:
In the scriptures, God frequently asks questions as in "Adam, where are you?"
The Jewish method of argument is answering a question with a question and we see this repeatedly throughout the gospels. Even the account of Jesus at 12 years old indicates this in that He was asking them questions and they were amazed at his answers. Jewish answers are questions. Try arguing with a Jew sometime and see how far you get.
 
:rant:

I know some ask "IF" God (were) to ask, what would you say?"

But why would we assume God would even ask? Or even have need of asking?

I was reading something on a comments forum and someone posted "I do know something God WILL ASK..and that's "Why should I let you into my heaven?"
I want to scream when I hear people say that!! :barfy: :banghead:

Now, I realize D. James Kennedy used this as a tool for sharing the Gospel, and all respect for Mr. Kennedy..but why would we even assume God would even consider asking US anything??

I wonder. Do you think God asked D. James Kennedy..., er, never mind.

IF God asked I believe Dr. Kennedy would have pleaded the blood of Christ.
 
I also dislike the EE approach since it is offensive and because it invites intellectual-assent easy-believism.

It invites whatever wrong answer the person is relying on, so that you can answer that wrong answer.

It allows you to adapt your witnessing approach to wherever the person is coming from.

It enables you to get away from a 1-size-fits-all canned approach to witnessing.

:detective:
 
I have a bigger problem with the typical misuse of Revelation 3:20 close to the end of the EE presentation.

I didn't remember Rev 3:20 being used in EE, I'll have to pull out my notes. Perhaps we pulled it out and substituted something more appropriate from the start.

I do remember it being used in the Campus Crusade Tract.

--- Vinny Kochetta, Statesboro, GA

It's in the Commitment > Clarification section close to the end.
 
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Be warned. Some of you are crossing the line here. Criticize the content or approach but jokes/speculation about the deceased lack taste. Whatever status he has before God is on the basis of Christ's Atoning sacrifice and his trust in it.
 
jogri17;

We don't assume God will ask a person but it is a hypothetical question. IF GOD... Thats what evangelism expolosion says. It's like "Do you consider yourself to be a good person", or God is most glorified as you are most satisfied in Him. Man made expressions to explain a Biblical truth. Also I do detect a bit of supralasperianism in your point ;)

The problem (for me) is even though yes, I understand it is a hypothetical question and many people DO ask it as a question, I am seeing it more and more not being asked in terms of a question, but being made as an absolute statement..that God will in fact ask.

Like many other things, it is being twisted..to mean something it does not mean.

from my original post..in a comments forum I was reading, someone actually told another poster...

"I do know something God WILL ASK and that's "Why should I let you into my heaven?"

They did not ask the person, "suppose you die tonight/today/next week...and God were to ask you"..

They stated that they know..God WILL ask..."why should I let you into my heaven?"


I understand the reasons for the "questions" in order to get people thinking about what they are really trusting in, and I have no problem with that. It's just I am noticing more and more people are not asking it as a question at all, but are stating..THEY KNOW God will ask..it's not the assuming HE MIGHT ask, but the assuming He will in fact ask..that I have the problem with..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top