Also, it is a matter of Confessional teaching that the Jews will be converted after all of the nations are (see the Catechisms). Here's a passage discussing as much:
Adam
Could you elaborate on this more?
More proofs and more quotes? This is fascinating.
-----Added 12/3/2008 at 10:22:18 EST-----
If some of every tongue, tribe and nation will be before the throne and if we will keep our identities in heaven, it appears that nations, tongues and tribes might exist forever.
Pergs,
The Confessional bit is as follows:
Q. 191. What do we pray for in the second petition?
A. In the second petition, (which is, Thy kingdom come,[1222]) acknowledging ourselves and all mankind to be by nature under the dominion of sin and Satan,[1223] we pray, that the kingdom of sin and Satan may be destroyed,[1224] the gospel propagated throughout the world,[1225] the Jews called,[1226] the fullness of the Gentiles brought in;[1227] the church furnished with all gospel-officers and ordinances,[1228] purged from corruption,[1229] countenanced and maintained by the civil magistrate:....
The citations for the Gentiles and Jews bit are as follows:
[1226] Romans 10:1. Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
[1227] John 17:9, 20. I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.... Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word. Romans 11:25-26. For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob. Psalm 67. God be merciful unto us, and bless us; and cause his face to shine upon us; Selah. That thy way may be known upon earth, thy saving health among all nations. Let the people praise thee, O God; let all the people praise thee. O let the nations be glad and sing for joy: for thou shalt judge the people righteously, and govern the nations upon earth. Selah. Let the people praise thee, O God; let all the people praise thee. Then shall the earth yield her increase; and God, even our own God, shall bless us. God shall bless us; and all the ends of the earth shall fear him.
Paul's teaching in Romans 11 is not unique to him; if read in the context of the Prophets' teaching, it becomes increasingly clear that God would reject Israel, then call the Gentiles, and then recall the Jews. This is latter-day-glory postmillenialism.
The Isaiah passage that I mentioned deals with it, but if you read the Minor Prophets, it's everywhere. Here is one instance that may be particularly appropriate:
Amos 9:8 Behold, the eyes of the Lord GOD are upon the sinful kingdom, and I will destroy it from off the face of the earth; saving that I will not utterly destroy the house of Jacob, saith the LORD. 9 For, lo, I will command, and I will sift the house of Israel among all nations, like as corn is sifted in a sieve, yet shall not the least grain fall upon the earth. 10 All the sinners of my people shall die by the sword, which say, The evil shall not overtake nor prevent us. 11 In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old: 12 That they may possess the remnant of Edom, and of all the heathen, which are called by my name, saith the LORD that doeth this. 13 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed; and the mountains shall drop sweet wine, and all the hills shall melt. 14 And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them. 15 And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God.
This is an exact parallel of Romans 11, where the Jews are rejected and judged, then the Gentiles are called, culminating in the millenial glory: the covenant blessings on all nations, and then the Jews being recalled, and receiving the covenant blessings, along with the Gentiles. Once you have eyes to see this, it is all over the prophets, and in the NT. Also, it helps to explain why the NT passages dealing with doom and gloom, and a small remnant are not talking about the general state of the church, but only the time of God's sifting of the people of Israel and transitioning to the Gentiles.
Cheers,
Adam