Winter Olympics Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montanablue

Puritan Board Doctor
The Winter Olympics are one of my favorite things. I always make it a point to watch as much as I can. So...let's discuss... :D

Does anyone have favorite events? Favorite athletes this year? I haven't kept as up to date with the athletes as I usually do, but I'm really excited about seeing Shaun White and not so excited about seeing Bode Miller (in fact, I might cheer against him, American or not)
 
I love the Olympics. I'll have an interest in all of the events, curling included. Downhill skiing and speed skating (long track) are probably my favorite to watch. I'll of course be excited to watch Shaun White and Lindsey Vonn. I'll cheer for Bode, but I'd be happier to see another American win. One person I don't particularly care for is Apolo Ohno. Lastly, I'd love to see the US Hockey do well, but I don't literally want to see it--Hockey just isn't my thing.
 
curling, hockey, any ski event (downhill, jumping x-country, biathlon, etc)...

It was years before I realised that the olympics were held in the summer as well.
 
okay, I'll bite...why don't people like Bode Miller or Apolo Ohno?

I don't have strong feelings about Apolo Ohno, but I just find Miller obnoxious. He seems rather lazy, skies drunk sometimes, and is generally arrogant about his skills. I think that someone else would appreciate the win so much more.
 
If it is based on objective criteria, it's a sport. If it's based on the subjective opinions of judges, it's entertainment.

I like the sports - curling, skiing, sledding, speed skating. I'll pass on the ice dancing, figuring skating, and other entertainment.
 
We are a weird bunch here. There are five replies and three mention curling. Oops this makes it four!

Now to see if there is some way I can follow the curling on-line. I seriously doubt that NBC will carry it on the broadcast network.
 
We are a weird bunch here. There are five replies and three mention curling. Oops this makes it four!

Now to see if there is some way I can follow the curling on-line. I seriously doubt that NBC will carry it on the broadcast network.

Looks like all the Curling is on MSNBC CNBC and USA.
 
Can we discuss why the German man in the pairs skating was wearing a costume that made him look like a traffic light?

Also...snowboarding starts today!
 
Can we discuss why the German man in the pairs skating was wearing a costume that made him look like a traffic light?

Also...snowboarding starts today!

Since pairs skating doesn't meet my definition of 'sport', I'd need a picture to comment.
 
If it is based on objective criteria, it's a sport. If it's based on the subjective opinions of judges, it's entertainment.

I like the sports - curling, skiing, sledding, speed skating. I'll pass on the ice dancing, figuring skating, and other entertainment.

So you're also throwing out ski jumping, nordic combined, halfpipe, and moguls. Boo on that criteria!
 
Yes. I'd do ski jumping based on who gets the farthest down the hill and can make it to the finish with only the skis touching the snow. Let the air determine if the form is right, not some judge.
 
HOCKEY! HOCKEY! HOCKEY! HOCKEY! HOCKEY!!!!! The pressure on our Men's Canadian Hockey Team is probably higher than its ever been due to these games being on home ice and us getting shut out at Turin. On the other hand, the crazy celebrating in the streets all over the country if we win the gold could be scary.

View attachment 1683
 
Last edited:
Can we discuss why the German man in the pairs skating was wearing a costume that made him look like a traffic light?

I saw that! I suppose someone thought those costumes were creative and edgy. Twenty years from now, he will surely look at the video and think "I can't believe I made it to the Olympics and wore that."
 
A coworker explained to me that the music their routine was to had something to do with clowns or a circus, thus the inspiration for the costumes. Dear me.
 
So what about the shooting guys? The biathlon is the perfect training for north European commandos. I fancy myself a good shot, but those guys are on a whole other level.
 
Speed Skating track officials messed up the track today. And took an hour or so to get it all right. Messed up one of the USA skaters...who was a favorite. He was in 18th after he finally skated.

I also agree with what was said above that a true sport isn't based on judges. Time, distance, points/goals, or just who wins. So I enjoy Ski Jumping (if it was only based on distance, quite frankly the one with the best 'style' is the one who goes the farthest so no judging is really needed), cross country skiing, short track speed skating, speed skating, curling, hockey, skiing downhill and combined, mogals are pretty cool but are out because of judging, bobsled, luge, skeleton, and snowboard racing.
 
A coworker explained to me that the music their routine was to had something to do with clowns or a circus, thus the inspiration for the costumes. Dear me.

Yes, they did their routine to "Send In the Clowns." Skated well, I thought, but looked silly. BTW... those were not the only costumes I saw that looked over-the-top last night. Maybe it's a trend in the staking world.

On a side note, what am I doing in a discussion about figure skating costumes? Like I know anything about this. Why am I not talking about, say, the manly sport of hockey?
 
A coworker explained to me that the music their routine was to had something to do with clowns or a circus, thus the inspiration for the costumes. Dear me.

Yes, they did their routine to "Send In the Clowns." Skated well, I thought, but looked silly. BTW... those were not the only costumes I saw that looked over-the-top last night. Maybe it's a trend in the staking world.
My other "favorite" costumes were the blue onesies worn by the Ukranians. A tribute to Avatar, perhaps? Sometimes I think my roommate and I watch the skating more to mock the outfits than for the skating.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top