Wise Thoughts for the Election

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwithnell

Moderator
Staff member
An article worth thinking about as we approach the US election.

In doing so the church is not alone, for God has placed the church in the context of the world, and so our voices and our votes will not be the only ones. But the guiding principle for Christians should be “to do good to our fellow man” (cf. 1 Peter 4:19). Now undoubtedly the greatest good we can do for them is to preach the gospel to them, but the injunction of Scripture does not limit us to that, and in fact does not allow us to be limited to it. We are to give food and drink even to a hungry enemy (Prov. 25:21). Without the gospel, food and drink will be a fleeting blessing, but it will be a blessing nonetheless and we should not withhold it.
 
Thanks for sharing that, Jean. That is probably the best thing I've read about politics this whole campaign season. I especially enjoyed these paragraphs:

But above all, seek first his Kingdom which comes through no earthly power, but through the gospel of Christ. And guard against the idolatry of Babylon (the state). How can you know if your heart is drawn into idolatry in this realm? There are two strong indicators. First, if you would break or disrupt fellowship with a brother or sister in Christ because they have a different political position or support a different candidate than you do, your allegiance is to a Passing-away Power rather than to the Kingdom of God. Secondly, if the day after the election your candidates are the losers and you can’t get out of bed because of depression, that itself is a strong indication of idolatry, for no matter who is in the Whitehouse or the Senate, Jesus is still on the throne. To be depressed about earthly powers is to live as though he is not on the throne. (Someone recently noted, “Worry is the activity of someone who consistently envisions a future without Jesus.”)

A good friend of mine from another church is very politically active. When I knew him better, I knew that he worked hard for candidates and causes, but his life was punctuated by episodes of despair or depression. If his candidate lost, it would send him into a tailspin. If his candidate won, he would be riding high until the reality hit that the candidate was not who this man thought he was, which he said happened every single time. The last time I saw him he was more upbeat than I had ever seen him, and I asked him about it. He said, “You know, politics used to be my god, even though I called myself a Christian. But God was gracious to me, and I’ve finally come to realize that Christ alone is God. And so I still work at this stuff, doing all the good I can, in as far as I can see it and have any influence, but I leave the results to God. Whatever God ordains is right, and his will shall be done. Often that doesn’t look like what I had hoped for, but that only reminds me that I have no hope here.”
 
I thought this admonition coming from Billy Graham is wise consul ;

"The legacy we leave behind for our children, grandchildren and this great nation is crucial. As I approach my 94th birthday, I realize this election could be my last. I believe it is vitally important that we cast our ballots for candidates who base their decisions on biblical principles and support the nation of Israel. I urge you to vote for those who protect the sanctity of life and support the biblical definition of marriage between a man and a woman. Vote for biblical values this November 6, and pray with me that America will remain one nation under God."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top