Wittenberg's Poor Door

Status
Not open for further replies.

EKSB SDG

Puritan Board Freshman
When Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses to a door in Wittenberg in 1517, do you think that there was a contingent of church people who were so annoyed that he posted it on the door that they missed the real issue – the content of the document?
 
No.

Posting items for debate was not uncommon. What was unusual is that someone pulled it down and had it printed up for wider distribution.
 
Posting notices on the church door was common and appropriate.

It wouldn't be equivalent to, say, standing on a soap-box in the middle of a busy intersection and yelling at passers-by in the name of evangelism. Or the method of one missionary I know (a calvinistic and baptistic man) who would "trap" people by sitting in the aisle of the metro bus and "evangelize" the passengers during their ride (he spoke...actually seemed to brag of intentionally "cornering" or "trapping" people so that he could preach to them and was taken aback that I would question his methods...obviously I didn't believe in evangelism...).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top